Vinyl Cutter Maintenance

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Vinyl Cutter Maintenance

I was informed last week that the vinyl cutter was again not cutting. As it turns out, the ribbon has finally managed to snag on something and ripped. I really wish we knew where the top lid went for it as I think it has a cable guide in it.

The ribbon is a 340mm flat flex cable with five pins reverse oriented with 1mm spacing. It's a little oddball but far from the "impossible to find" a few pessimists here were telling me.
    That being said, it's not common. A suitable replacement which is 400mm long is about $35 and can only be bought in bulk packs of 100, whereas a 6 pin cable that matches the original spec is only $2. I've ordered a 6 pin and it should be here in about a month. It can be made to work by cutting one pin off each ends with a scalpel.
    In the meantime I have spliced a repair onto the old cable and reinstalled it. No idea how long it will last but it's better than the cutter not working at all.

Thanks John!
    Fixes like this are crucial to keeping the space up and running.

Comment

I think the new VersaCamm makes my old 24" Camm1 obselete now. We will keep the machine up and running until it is confirmed obselete and then put it away with the harddrive it needs to run. We are o ut of room in the Design Lab!

Comment

Working...
      X