Dust Collection System

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dust Collection System

We have a plan for a dust collection system. It isn't the ultimate dust collection system but it will do for now. We have a Delta Portable Dust Collector model 50-820C. We plan to wall mount this behind the sander. We want to run piping to the table saw, sander, and CNC router.

To do this we need the following parts:

1 @ cloth collection bag, 5" opening
    1 @ 4" to 2" reducer
    3 @ 4" gate valve
    4 @ 4" 90 degree elbow
    30' @ 4" pipe
    9 ' @ 4" flex hose
    6' @ 2" flex hose
    ‚Äč

Awsome Grant, thanks so much! This will make the wood shop so much nicer to work in.
    Is it possible to pick up the chop saw also?

Comment

• Grant Fraser
      Grant Fraser commented
      Editing a comment
      We were just going with easy and achievable. Lets see how well this works and then think about improvements in the future.

• Garret H
      Garret H commented
      Editing a comment
      Ok that sounds fine, one step at a time! I was scheming about a shroud to defect the dust into a trash bin for that saw. Since its not in the plan for dust collection I'll draw something up.

If we are going to spend the time wall mounting it, should we look at investing in the unit? I thought Vaughn had been in contact with KMS about supplying one, and had said they were supportive of giving a sizable discount/donation

Comment

Here is an estimate of the cost to do this job. Anybody want to chip in?

Comment

• Garret H
        Garret H commented
        Editing a comment
        I'll commit to $80.

I did some digging and the dust collection bag for the Delta 50-820c has been discontinued. It had a 30 micron cloth bag with a 5 inch opening. The dust collector was rated for only 1 tool at a time and the 30 micron hole size separates out the chips and distributes the dust around the shop. More info in this PDF. https://americanfabricfilter.com/wp-...ection-101.pdf Did we want to come up with a custom collection system or did we want to revisit getting a whole system?

Comment

• Garret H
        Garret H commented
        Editing a comment
        1 tool at a time may not be a huge concern.

What would a custom system entail? Are there cost estimates on alternatives?

Here is a 1 micron system sized for our shop. https://www.kmstools.com/magnum-indu...anister-119153 . Its on sale for $629.95. We would still need the pipes and hoses listed above but we would configure them differently.

Comment

• Garret H
        Garret H commented
        Editing a comment
        Will this sized collector allow us to pick up the shop saw and any additional tools? Max tool loading still 1 at a time?

The info above is what I need to drop into KMS and see what they can do to help - thanks for the research and itemizing! Ill check into this in the next week and see whats what at KMS.

Comment

Here are some comparisons:

.5 HP Delta 50-820 single piece of equipment 500 cfm
        1 HP Dust Collector with Canister smaller shops with one or two pieces of machinery 550 cfm 349.95
        1.5 HP Dust Collector with Canister can provide centralized dust collection for a small shop. 1,280 cfm 629.95
        2 HP Dust Collector with Canister long service life in a medium-sized production shop 1,600 cfm 699.95

Comment

For the 2 HP we'd get 25% more airflow for only 11% cost increase, which is pretty negligible compared to the total system costs with plumbing. That would be my choice, it would future proof the whole endeavor quite nicely.

That being said 80 decibels is past the annoying level for any of these, are we going to want to build a rudimentary enclosure for this to reduce the noise?

Doing a quick scour of the interwebs and found someone who had a similar 2HP DC at +80dB and they did the following:
          "built a closet with staggered 2"x3" studs, drywall both sides and roxul insulation, with the same plan for the door. I was measuring 84 db before, now measuring around 65-67, so from "passing diesel truck" to "(noisy) dishwasher" according to some charts I've seen. Quite pleased, and I think I can probably make it a bit quieter with a bit more care"
          https://forum.canadianwoodworking.co...ollector-noise
          Last edited by Garret H; 11-04-2018, 12:07 PM.

Comment

Good point. 80db is the level where hearing protection is required. Adding tools to that noise level would be headache inducing.

Comment

Working...
            X