City of Kamloops
Social Planning Council
Scorpion Technologies – tech support, laser loan, thermoform
KMS Tools – Table Saw and Dust extraction
iTel Networks – phone and internet service
SSP Plywood – 19.5 mm formply
RONA – plywood donation
Home Depot – wood donation
MC2 Developments – Classroom drywall + general support
Sherwin Williams - paint for Clay Space and Classroom
Senor Froggy – food donations, 50% off Maker Monday
Partnerships and Networks etc:
City of Kamloops
Insight Support Services
4 Directions Aboriginal School
Christian Heritage Online School
BC Lotteries Corporation
Kamloops Arts Council
New Life Community
Kamloops Innovation Center
Kamloops Open Gamers
Big Little Science Center
Maker Monday Vollie hours? Calories consumed? Do more shop orientations
Hack Night Vollie hours? Unique visits? $1200/hack night /60K/year value
TRU Innervation Hub
Art in the Park
Hot Nite in the City
Art in the Dark
DWIT at Henry Grube
3D Printer Social Planning Council $1150
Clay Space Grant Arts Commission $5200
Hot Nite in the City Nicholas and a ton of vollies $1500
Haunted Courthouse TRU Leap / Nicholas $6500
Duffy’s Dinners Duffy’s Pub / Megan $250
Lasercut pins Art in the Park + events
Lasertube appeal Facebook / Forum $200
101’s and Workshops:
Build your own PC Hack, Lounge – Darren and Derp and ron_ron 1 sesh
Ocilliscope 101 Lounge – Colin 1 sesh
Laser 101 Lounge/Design Lab/Fab Shop 4 sessions
Airbrush 101 Design Lab - Vaughn 3 sessions
Vectors 101 Design lab - Vaughn 3 sessions
Vinyl 101 Design Lab - Vaughn 2 sessions
Laser 203 Box Making Lounge, Fab shop - Kile 1 Sesh
Pin Cussions Craftorium - Megan 1 sesh
Cosplay 101 Craftorium -Megan 1 sesh
Arduino 101 Lounge/BCLC - Kile, Ron 2 sesh
Coil Pots Clay Space – Amanda 1 sesh
Clay Alchemy 101 Clay Space - Janet 4 sessions
Wheel Demo’s Clay Space - Amanda 2 sesh
Plaster Casting Clay Space – Amanda 1 sesh
Pottery Glazing Clay Space – Amanda 1 sesh
Monsters & Mermaids Clay Space – Kathleen Raven 1 sesh
Lasercut Christmas Dec Lounge - Ashley & Megan 2 sesh
Future Flux Amanda Eccleston 1 sesh
Norse Wire Weaving Chainmail Dave 1 sesh
Crotchet 101 Craftorium -Megan 1 sesh
Jewellry 101 Craftorium -Megan 1 sesh
Lathe 101 Fab Shop - Pierre 1 sesh
Dreamcatcher 101 Craftorium -Megan 1 sesh
Slot Construction 101 Design Lab / Fab Shop - Vaughn 1 sesh
Sawstop Table saw KMS Tools
Scroll Saw Vaughn donated
6” table belt sander Dennis Mullis
1” belt sander Vaughn loaned
Chopsaw upgrade Bradley?
Prussa 3D printer Social Planning Grant, Grant Fraser assembly, Multi Material
Programmable kiln Janet Whitehead long term loan
Pottery Wheels Potters donated
Scorpion Mill (pending) Scorpion
Thermo-former (pending) Scorpion
Portaband Saw Pierre
Clamp System in woodshop
Rooms developed or upgraded:
Mud Room Cleaned, new shelves and tote system, rewire
Clay Space New pottery studio with custom worktable, lighting and shelving
Kiln Room New Kiln Room with programmable kiln, glazing bench and sinks
Classroom New drywall and floor, restored ceiling, pendulum lighting, table
Woodshop New table saw with runout cabinet, wood storage, air filtration
Lounge Space status indicator, eye candy, flat screen install
Craftorium Funky painted shelving and cubby storage
Electronics Lab Organization and equipment upgrade
Hack Room Organization and cleaning
RFID door system
Steamlined Membership signup/payment/tracking
Members Intro Package
Finish Safe Space Policy
Finish Plan Genie Process
Flag on flag pole
Toaster in kitchen
Dust extraction in wood shop
Phone System (phone in Lounge with no answering machine or chargeable capability)
Thanks for the contributions at the meetings all, I have updated the minutes with almost all of the info, I will try to get Grants financials in tomorrow. I have started another thread for the safe space discussion to continue, as well as a thread with our mission statement as much of the policy discussion at the meeting focused on it. In the last round of edits I updated the action items, and members with actions assigned are:@Vaughn, @ColeVanD, @kile, @pierre, @megan-fenkhuber
Can these members please confirm that they have seen the action items and that the timelines are correct (or provide timelines if they are missing)
For action items where more than one person has volunteered, maybe the members can talk amoungst themselves and report back here when you have a plan for action (which includes how the participants will communicate/collaborate)?
Great meeting, and thanks for the hard work everyone!
@MIPS, I totally understand your frustration. To be honest I am personally at least a couple months behind in my membership dues. While I do plan to catch up when I am able, I don’t feel bad about accessing the space until that point. From my perspective, it would be better for the space to have the contributions from a good member such as yourself, and no dues payment at all, than it would having neither.
That said we still need to pay the bills.
In the past there have been special arrangements struck around memberships for individuals, but these have been verbal agreements with no documentation. This creates a problem as time goes on and the board changes over etc. Temporary arrangements become less temporary, and so on…
We want to be an inclusive group, and DO NOT want to lose core individuals such as yourself. Based on what what you do around the space, @Bradley-Maker, @Vaughn and myself all agreed that we would be very happy to see you continue to continue membership at the rate of $50/month if you feel you can afford that. That just happened to be the first three board members that ran into each other, I feel confident the other members of the board would agree.
As a matter of policy, we would rather deal with these discussions discretely and in a non-public fashion for member privacy reasons, so please do not feel compelled to commit to anything publicly. But I do hope that you are not “done” at the space as you put it.
I would like to find sources of funding to subsidize memberships for more people, and we will continue to work on this. But in the mean time we would rather work with individuals to accommodate access than lose members. We just need to get a handle on what those accommodations are.
@Nicholas I will be available for the whole day now. @everyonelse I will not make it back to town for the meeting unfortunately as I am still at the coast. I will have my phone on me so if anyone has any questions I can try and respond. I am still working on the website stuff and will update the thread on that tomorrow or Thursday.
Kamloops Makerspace Society Members Meeting
Attendees: Pierre, Ashley, Cole, Kile, Megan, Grant, Dave, Michelle, Kyle R.
Chair: Grant, Minutes: Kile
Laser Tube - Old tube has exploded, a replacement is required.
Manufacturer recommends W4, this hasn’t been made since 2015. We have newer S4 installed. Kile to follow up with G.Weike regarding this.
People close the lid too hard. Install signage, foam tape for shock absorbing, and update laser 101 training about lid.
Pierre has looked into shipping from a US supplier, comparable in price to that from China. Waiting on a response for more info, then we will make a decision.
Paying for this remains an issue
Rotary tool - Is in grant money from Clayspace,
listing in grant is non-specific RE manufacturer.
There is $986.34 remaining from project, and finishing the kiln-room remains a priority over this.
Manufacturer of our laser does not have an “off-the-shelf” option available. Some construction of interface will be required.
Internet - @arasbm has stopped providing this. We need some.
Thanks Aras for your generous donation of internet to the space!
Pierre has some info, can’t get anything close to residential pricing.
Megan will set up the deal tomorrow with advice from Pierre. Likely provider is Techsavy.
Current checking balance: $3,337
Remaining for 3d printer: $364
Remaining Clayspace grant: $ 986
Rent is due next week ($2362.50). Hydro, gas and insurance are also due.
Paid-up in last month: 8 drop-ins, 9 key-holders
From Canada Day $890 was donated to the space.
Hot night opportunity: $1,500 Requires 12 setup, 12 takedown and 4 all-day volunteers, plus people to run our booth. Megan to update forum post with volunteers.
Megan to move forward on planning a fundraising dinner for mid to late September. Megan will look at locations, Duffy’s, Pizza-Pi, and Bailey’s suggest.
Craft-season is coming, we should prepare for this. Laser will be essential for success here, lets get it back up. Megan and Michelle seem to be in the know regarding the crafty crafting circuit
e-commerce for the space - An online store has been suggested as a method of fundraising in the past
Webpage - Technical people have offered advice about how the website should be set up, but not one has offered to take on the construction of a new page at this point.
Using an online site builder such as square space would allow people with broader skillsets the ability to create and update the webpage. Square space also offers an online store option (see e-commerce above).
Megan to look into square space. This will be the likely direction unless a committed volunteer arises to tackle the technical portion of the website.
Coordination will be required to ensure that the forum is not interrupted if we decide to switch the website architecture.
RFID Implementation - No one with up to date info on the project is in attendance
Getting something set up ASAP is necessary, an RFID door entry system, with a manually updatable db seems like a reasonable place to start.
@ColeVanD has parts in the mail, but will interface with @toxuin and @Ron_Ron before doing anything on the building.
Dogs on couches
No formal policy was proposed or voted on, however, by rough consensus an agreement was reached that members will make a best-effort to keep the couches clean, and minimize pets on them.
Making a policy around this won’t keep the couches totally clean if we still allow people to use them, we should also make washable slip-covers for the furniture.
I furnished @Torren with a Key tonight - welcome to Makerspace Keyhood, Torren, and thank you for your Membership.
@kile, our worthy Secretary, suggests Key applications can be handled through the Forum, pursuant to our Bylaws. We really need quality key members and if making the process easier for solid prospects leads to that, Im down.
I encourage all Members to consider the status of their membership and Dues - we need good Key Holders and to up the core Key base. $100 a month is an expense alright - but properly wielded, a Makerspace key easily pays for itself.
@Will well we already carry our own insurance, and I just checked, property taxes are about $28k for the whole building (split between the 6 tenants I’m assuming, leaving us about $5k a year in taxes) is still substantially cheaper than our current lease. and the building is about 100 years newer so I imagine maintenance would be lower as well!!
We are basically in a Triple Net lease anyways (minus the property tax) as far as the insurance and maintenance goes.
I haven’t found any info on who actually owns it, but I didn’t look that hard.
KMS Monthly Meeting ~ Thursday, October 13 2016
Meeting rotating-chaired by Tyler @fullmetalmaker
Live minutes by Vaughn
Meeting came to order at 6:20 pm
12 or 15 new members in October
Home School Programme Update @arasbm@fullmetalmaker
“MakerSpace” class starts next Thursday at Heritage Christian online school
30 kids, split between aras and tyler. @Bradley-Maker may take on one next semester
Most of the learning is offsite, with intermittent visits to MakerSpace
Every second week kids will visit
MakerSpace calendar will be updated with dates
Haunted House Update @Nicholas :
Insurance is covered
Permitting is dealt with
$4500 cheque has been received
$5 proposed entry fee
TRU pays for location, security for 3 nights and first aid
Other 2 nights TRU students with card will be honored
$1000 tube and drape cost to be determined
Rubin’s has volunteered to run food booth, with 10% proceeds to MakerSpace.
Meeting after this meeting for planning
6-9 on public nights (friday and sunday) and 7-10 TRU night (Saturday night)
Advertising in paper, ad for facebook page, CBC, KIC, ECHO
Art in the Dark Update:
Tickets are $30 for Arts Council Members, $40 without
Door 7 pm - Midnight
Displays include: Aras’s infinity mirror & cube, Vaughn’s ‘Cybernetic Seahourse Seance’, Tyler’s bass speaker cornstarch hack, LEAP Motion projection,
~@arasbm will post a detailed report soon on the forum
~$600 monthly Kamloops Innovation funding has ended for now
~Tyler brought up a list of possible grants compiled by Daniel O’Neil - members are encouraged to pick one and explore them - bring back to group for support and approval
Winter Preparations: @fullmetalmaker
Front door back door fab shop doors have been sealed up - please close firmly.
Windows - we have a roll of shrink film and tape, we need to help get it done this week.
Sat 1-3 afternoon is the “sealing the windows” party
Kevin landlord has stripped the room paneling
Grant did the electrical - THANK YOU GRANT
Kevin and helper are doing drywall, but may not be able to finish completely
Vision is to make it a quiet classroom environment, 6 computers, 2-2’x6’ tables 10 chairs
The understanding is that MakerSpace will start paying for the classroom once it is operational
Shop maintenance and cleanliness:
Some spaces are not being left in a state that allows all members to use it.
It is an ongoing problem.
New members need to be educated about the culture required to make this work, that is: clean up after yourself, clean up a bit more, encourage others to maintain the spaces.
Some kind of mandatory orientation for new members is required
Signage needs to be done that reminds of this issue
It is disrespectful of our collective to leave a mess that damages our ability to share the space
CLEAN UP AFTER YOURSELF
Plenty of frustration about the state of tools and shops - we ALL need to clean-up after ourselves AND call-out those who aren’t
Action: Initiate monthly orientation for new members @Caitlin-Bailey will help
Action: 3rd sheet added to standard membership sign-up - BASIC RULES & REGS
Proposal: Operations Person position: @fullmetalmaker
Opening the space at regular hours, doing maintenance and basic upkeep, hosting tours, developing workshops, maintaining tools,
Mon-Sat 10 am - 4 pm (30 hours per week) $1200
Survey of what open hours are most wanted by members
Would not include cleaning up after members
We have grown beyond the size where we can rely on the same people to clean up
WorkBC requirements: min 35 hours, max 45 hours, WBC will pay 50% or the wage up to a max of $10/hr.
MOTION: Should we investigate the costs and benefits of creating a paid position for the MakerSpace? Moved.
Aras will look at if we can afford it - there are costs and benefits that need to be weighed: what are the real costs?
Define the role closely.
Everyone is thanking everyone.
Next meeting: Thursday November 17
@tinfoilknight will rotating chair