Switching Polarity on Pottery Wheel Motor

Yes Ideally this wheel would be best for the demo. I want to show people how to use the wheel that will be in the studio permanently. I can bring my own little tiger wheel down for the demo but it’s operated differently and not staying in the studio.

• I wish I would have seen this last night. I will stop by on my way home from work and if it hasn’t been done yet, I’ll look after it. Which direction is it supposed to be turning? If two people change the direction it might be counterproductive. :smiley:

Hah yes. I need the wheel to turn clockwise!

• I don’t know anything about these vertical clay lathes… but… Would it be beneficial to switch directions for right and left handed people?

@pierre yes it would.

• I’ll try to do that then. If you can’t make it right… make it adjustable :)

• So I went in this afternoon and worked on it a bit. The good news is I cleaned up the cable and the toggle switch that was in pieces inside the motor so it’s safe now. The bad news is that the set screw on the shaft is so badly rusted in place that it’s impossible to remove and as such, it’s impossible to swap the leads on the capacitor and change direction tonight.

The motor is an older style which will work fine, but the cap isn’t accessible under a cover on the side like a lot of the newer style. As such, we’ll need to pull the back cover off entirely to get to the wires and swap them. I sprayed the set screw with penetrating oil and we can take a crack at it tomorrow but unfortunately it’ll be counter clockwise tomorrow. Hopefully it’s not a huge deal. It is safe to operate from an electrical perspective.

• I came by after @n0pe did and took a crack at reversing it mechanically, but the flywheel ate up my reversing idler at an alarming rate. With the machine rotating in the stock direction, you should be careful to not let your foot touch the top of the flywheel because it’ll get slammed into the guard that protects the drive wheel. If we reverse it… The guard will want modifying to prevent someone getting into the pinch point formed by the flywheel and the drive wheel. Ideally I’d like to see a plywood cover over the flywheel with a cutout where the rubber wheel touches it.

Hey gang,

I demonstrated on my tiger wheel instead but I did show how to use the big wheel anyways, I just didn’t throw on it. No rush on working on it as I won’t be demonstrating on it for a while. But new people can use it to their liking.