Makerspace Work Surface and Shelving Materials

• Design Lab

An opportunity for Makerspace and its Members has developed through @n0pe association with Savona Specialty Plywood.

We have been offered a lift of 50 sheets of the highest quality 19mm form-ply for $2500, including tax, . That is about $50/sheet, which is more than 1/2 price. This is the very highest quality of industrial cabinet grade plywood, featuring veneer from africa and a manufacturing process that has it fitting new stadiums and hotels from Ontario to Saudi Arabia.

My goal is to get the Makerspace at least 20 sheets for the install of the kiln room, the finishing of the classroom, additional shelving for the @Craftorium and whatever else we want.

To this and not break the bank, I need to fundraise by offering Members sheets of this wonderful material at $60/sheet - for every 5 sheets to members at that price, the Makerspace gets one ‘for free’.

I am willing to take three sheets at $60. I have others who are into it, too, and will begin buffing this thread with that list.

Before I do, I want to test the waters in terms of Members appetite for this. I am in a bit of a pinch because the person who initially committed to take 20 sheets has backed out and I need to adapt.

So yeah - give a shout and let me know if you want to reserve sheets - the money will need to be upfront and given to our Treasurer within the next 10 days.

Sheets spoken for:

3 vaughn
    3 Doug Andrews

i’d be interested in 2 sheets

• Is this the same plywood that was used for that kickass table for the table saw?

• Classroom

Originally I was all for ordering a lift of this material, now I’m having second thoughts.

To be accurate, while this is very high quality plywood, it is not technically cabinet grade. Its intended purpose is for (oh so very smooth) architectural concrete. At $60/sheet we would still be somewhere around half of retail range (this stuff really doesn’t come retail from a cash and carry building supply store). The face veneer is very red in colour, and if you wanted to band the plywood edges, (my guess is) it would be incredibly difficult to find a veneer for this.

This material is superior to the quality of any plywood that you will find at a building supply store in Kamloops, but the red veneer may severely restrict what it could be used for. Please have a look at the physical sample at the space to confirm it will work for you before committing.

Part of the reason I was drawn to it initially, was due to having issues with other plywoods such as the face veneer lifting in some corners, and chipping out along cuts. I have since been informed that many of the issues surrounding other materials could be addressed by purchasing saw blades with more and finer teeth. These other materials, while not quite as easy to deal with, could be sourced for somewhere around 1/2 the price, and will have more applications based on the look of the face veneer.

To be clear, I still like the idea of ordering this material, but only if the vast majority is bought up by members (~40 sheets IMO) with a slim remainder being slotted for specific projects around the space. This is some of the highest end material on the planet for concrete forms, and it will work well for other applications, but may be overkill for some of the projects we have coming up.

Sorry to waffle on this, but the more I think on it, the more I realize that something more cost effective may fit more of the building needs of the space. I do not want to dissuade anyone from ordering, as this is an INCREDIBLE deal, but I do think we need a clear cutoff for how many sheets we would need to sell to make this work.

I will take 5 sheets. So the Makerspace gets a freebie from me! The red is more of a burgundy btw

• Classroom

@Torren, it is from the same mill as the table saw table, but is a higher grade of product. It has a much nicer veneer, that is extremely hard and smooth. It seems incredibly non-pourous and could be difficult to paint. Look at the colour before you plan to put it in a finished interior.

@Vaughn, please tentatively pencil me in for 2-3 sheets. I will have to confirm based on finances at the time if we get enough people stepping up to make the order feasible. Don’t get me wrong, this is incredible material for the price, and will be exceptional in the right applications. I just want to make sure that everyone is aware of what those applications may and may not be.

• Lets see a pic

• Design Lab

Here ya go, @bct and anyone else who interested in the nicest 8x4 sheets of 3/4" (19mm, actually) I have ever actually seen or had access to.

Let me make this clear: the POINT of buying a whole 50 sheet lift of this is to gain the Kamloops Makerspace 6 FREE SHEETS (and the rest for 1/2 price) of this ridonculous, industrial-grade, over-cabinet-quality sheet for its major refit happening NOW - the install of the kiln room (and to be even clearer: this deal will NOT be triggered without the successful result of our currently on-the-table Community Arts Grant - the Makerspace is NOT ‘on the hook’ for this deal at all: it will be paid for through subscriptions (and truly this kind of quality selles itself), the refit of the Craftorium and Kile’s refit of the Design Lab (kidding Kile).

And as us arm-chair engineers know (and lets be real: we are ALL arm-chair engineers here): over-engineer what you do and it will qualify - this material over-qualifies and will be adrmired for ever. AND will set the stage for sponsor growth.

I do not believe this material is over-kill at all - we are a semi-industrial operation, and this wood suits that app.

Yes, we could probably get sheets of 3/4" Birch two/sides for as low as $20/sheet in the quantities we need (all it will take is another 10 hours of my volunteer time) and @kile and/or Timo is right : taken as a literal cost/benefit translation, that 10 hours of my time (and the $400 cash the Makerspace with therefore pay) is, borderline, a better deal.

But, other than the obvious epic benefits of this deal with a local, one-of-a-kind supplier Savona Specialty Plywood, that did, indeed @Torren (thanks for noticing) supply the 10 free form ply for the wood shop redo, the Mudroom re-do and more, how is one to grow a relationship with sponsors if we can’t facilitate an obvious win/win deal like this?

The burgundy color I actually like very much - with the pine edging it will shine, and be yet another deadly and unique subtlety of our excellent Space.

• Design Lab

This post is deleted!

• Design Lab

Sorry, I digress the pics:
    4_1491552702071_20170407_003232.jpg 3_1491552702071_20170407_003207.jpg 2_1491552702071_20170407_003148.jpg 1_1491552702071_20170407_003139.jpg 0_1491552702071_20170407_003401.jpg

• Design Lab

This post is deleted!

• Design Lab

Courtesy SSP Plywood (Savona), via @n0pe, @KMS Tools, @RONA, @Timo @Kile, @Bradley-Maker :+1:
    0_1491552941343_20170318_201554.jpg

• Design Lab

3 @vaughn
    3 Doug Andrews
    2 @Krankin
    3 @kile (I’ll cover you)
    4 @bct (you know you want it)
    15 @kamloops makerspace
    3 @Bradley-Maker
    5 @Chainmaildave

38 down - 12 to go - whose next?

@Vaughn my 5 dropped off there so that may change calculations

• Sign me up for 4 sheets.

• Design Lab

4 @vaughn
    3 Doug Andrews
    2 @Krankin
    3 @kile (I’ll cover you)
    15 @kamloops makerspace
    3 @Bradley-Maker
    5 @Chainmaildave
    4 @robert

43 now committed down (I took one more as well) - 7 to go! Tell your cabinet buddies and your Uncle Fred, and it’ll be done :)

ALL MEMBERS WHO HAVE COMMITTED: I need the money wired to Makerspace, on or before April 15th, marked "PLYWOOD DONATION X (however many sheets you want). For example, my email transfer of $240 (or 4x$60/sheet) will say:

PLYWOOD DONATION x 4

OR you can see @Grant-Fraser and give him a cash donation - your receipt (which you will need to show to get your sheets) should say how many sheets it is for.

Please let me know when you have done it? Thank you!

• I’m in for at least one, and quite possible 5ish, I just need some time to do some math tonight…

• Math is done, I’m in for 7.

• Design Lab

3 @vaughn
    5 Doug Andrews
    2 @Krankin
    3 @kile (I’ll cover you)
    15 @kamloops makerspace
    3 @Bradley-Maker
    5 @Chainmaildave (paid)
    4 @robert
    7 @Torren (paid)

SOLD OUT. THANK YOU MAKERRRRRRSSSSS!!!

ALL MEMBERS WHO HAVE COMMITTED: we need the money wired to Makerspace, on or before April 15th, marked "PLYWOOD DONATION X (however many sheets you want).

For example, my email transfer of $240 (or 4x$60/sheet) will say:

PLYWOOD DONATION x 4

in the little comment section of the e-transfer.

OR you can see @Grant-Fraser and give him a cash donation - your receipt (which you will need to show to get your sheets) should say how many sheets it is for.

Please let me know when you have done it? Thank you!

• If there’s room, I’d take 2-4…
    Edit: definitely 4. I need an assembly table. I’d commit to more, but I need to pay for the trip I’m on…

I’m still interested but don’t have any room to store them. If someone wants to help me out on this end and has a place i can store them for a few months i’ll definitely buy some sheets