Canada Day Art in the Park

• We are setting up near the food trucks which will also be near the flood markers. Excellent pokestop location. We need to go all out to bring in new members if we are going to succeed.

1. Michelle pointed out we could make fidget spinners much faster on the laser cutter.

2. We should have the space open that day so we can direct people over.

3. We should have an open house all week following Canada Day from 5-9 instead of trying to manage a hundred guests on Wednesday.

4. We need the website front page and sponsors page updated.

5. We need up to date brochures to hand out. It can be the same content as the web page.

6. We need kits to sell. Even something easy like aeroplanes. We can point out that this is the sort of thing you can make for yourself.

7. Clean-up the space in time for Canada Day.

• Got my generator up and running. It was a bit stubborn from disuse. I successfully ran two toasters at the same time.
    http://buyquietgenerators.com/honeywell-hw2000i-review-is-this-quiet-generator-worth-it/

• IMPORTANT Artist / Community Booth Check-in Information
    –You MUST enter via Lorne St., east of Sandman Centre arena – no exceptions!–

STEPS FOR MORNING OF:

1. From 6am to 8am only, registered artists and community groups must check in at back parking lot entrance just east of Sandman Centre (enter off Lorne St. - see map below)
    2. You will be directed to your location in the park when it is safe to proceed
    3. Please park your vehicle off to the side while you unload so that other vehicles may get past
    4. Unload vehicle as quickly as possible to make room for next vendors waiting to get in - do NOT set up yet
    5. Move vehicle to vendor parking (behind Sandman Centre)
    6. Then, walk back and set up booth
    7. You must be ready for customers by 8:30am

Booth Set Up: Once you’ve moved your vehicle, set-up your own tent & tables (KAC is not able to supply these items) and ARTfully display your fabulous selection of creative hand-made (and approved) goods. Please adhere to your assigned number and its boundaries. No trading of spaces will be allowed; if there is an issue with your spot, please find Lorel or a traffic attendant (wearing orange vests) immediately to rectify the situation (or call the Art in the Park cell for help 250-682-8634 or 778-921-2470). All artists will have a numbered sign attached to their booth, and it must remain clearly visible all day (a KAC volunteer will come around and attach in the morning and remove at the end of the day).

The Event: 9am to 5pm. The Kamloops Arts Council is committed to making Art in the Park a premiere event for both the City of Kamloops and its participating Artists. Quality control will be in effect - make sure that you are only selling what has been accepted on your application.

Wrap Up: All booths must remain in place until 5 pm. DO NOT DRIVE YOUR CAR IN THE PARK UNTIL 5pm. If you’ve had a great run on sales and are out of product, we suggest that you take advantage of the remainder of the day to promote yourself and your art. Starting at 5 pm, you’ll be able to dismantle your booth at that time, then bring in your vehicle. Everyone is responsible for removing any and all packing supplies that they brought into the park. Garbage cans are not plentiful so please haul your recyclables out when you leave.

Art in the Park Event Checklist for Artists and Community Groups
    *Please note that coffee & snack may not be provided this year, come prepared!
    Your map
    Tent, canopy or umbrella (optional but recommended - limited shade areas are available since some trees have been removed from the park)
    Tables and/or shelving units. Don’t forget some odd bits of wood to help level your table or shelving units as the park has some uneven areas.
    Chairs (though standing or perching on a high stool to talk with customers is best)
    Materials to create an attractive space in which to sell your work (tablecloths, fabric, display units, etc). Bare tables are not acceptable.
    Bungy cords, rope or some mechanism to hold your tent down. Weighted milk cartons will help with our 3 o’clock wind.
    Power cords (if you requested power)
    Cash Float (no banks open!) There will be ATM machines on site.
    Drinking Water - the City has a free water station, so just bring a bottle to keep hydrated through the day.
    Pack a lunch and snacks to keep you going through the day. There will be food trucks on site and Folkfest has Multicultural food booths, but it may be difficult to get away from your booth on a busy day.
    Self Promotion Items: signage, business cards, brochures, etc.
    Directions to the park (use Google Maps to Riverside Park, Kamloops).
    Incidentals (tape, pens, paper, etc)
    Sunscreen / hat
    we recommend you print and bring this email

So the topic of float for Canada has come up. I have around 25-30$ in change I’m going to bring and can go to the bank tomorrow to get some 5’s and 10’s. Will post exact amount I will be bringing when I have it.

• It was probably posted on another thread but what is our transportation plans for setting up at Canada Day? Also do we have pamphlets yet? If we have a design we can get them printed. Its 34 hours to setup time.

• @arasbm had some nice handouts that we had used at the farmers market last year. They might been some upgrading with any new info but they worked great. Not pamphlets styled, more like a news letter. Not sure where this file is so hopefully he can let us know if he doesn’t mind us using them.

• Design Lab

There was another thread where @arasbm posted links to those. They are mostly text, I was going to whip up a trifold pamphlet last week but I just received the photos for this yesterday. I should have some time to whip something up tonight, unfortunately not as much time as I would like, but I can have something to send to the printers tomorrow.

• Design Lab

Okay, I took a crack at it. Here is the link for the pamphlet. I could make a bit of time to do some quick edits around noon, but today is pretty hairy for me, so I would rather only address gross errors or omissions if anyone finds those.

I’m not sure who is planning on printing (and folding - please use a ruler), but my day is pretty full during business hours.

• These look great @Kile. I unfortunately can’t print them myself because I don’t have access to a Color printer. However is someone else can print them (Or we can find a cheap printing place that can do them in time) I am more then willing to fold. I do almost 500 Christmas letters by hand each year, I have a pretty good and fast system for them.

How many are we thinking we want?

• I was thinking of going to Staples. Whatever form this takes at 4:30 is the final version.

• @megan-fenkhuber and I are going up the hill around 1ish I believe. We could go to Staples then if that works? @Grant-Fraser? @Kile?

• That could work. Check the price on folding. It’sprobably worth it rather than spending hours doing it manually. 1000 copies?

I’ve verified the QR code works.

• Ok, I called Staples.

The earliest they can get these done is tomorrow morning, they open at 10am.

Unfortunately the price for 100 bi-folded pamphlets is $829 +tax.
    And not having them folded only saves us $30.

I am going to call a few other places. I have already tried Sure Copy but they are closed.

• Design Lab

Oh wow that is crazy expensive. I’m assuming the $800+ is for 1000 copies? still $.80+ for a two sided colour copy seems ridiculous. I am on campus at TRU, I will get a price from the print shop here, but they usually won’t beat Staples by a significant margin

• Design Lab

I got a quote from the TRU print shop, they can do 500 folded for $160.

Will be ready by 4 pm.

Sounds good?

I need to get it in ASAP

• Do it. I was starting to look at the cost of buying a printer

• Design Lab

@Grant-Fraser, okay. The quote I got was general over the phone, just sent them the file and I’m waiting to make sure they can deliver before they close, they aren’t open on weekends.

• Design Lab

@Grant-Fraser, am I still okay at $272? The other price was single sided

• @kile That hurts but its still cheaper than a printer. Go ahead. We need to invest in this.

• Design Lab

Okay! So I need to do a quick adjustment so the folds land right, just tweaking the file now if anyone sees any typos last chance.

The other prices were a bit off, but a have a firm quote now with folding and taxes.

500 for $306
    250 for $178

Go big?

• Design Lab

Okay, file is sent. I went for 500