Hackaday Announces Big Contest

• Linux

movie

This year’s hackaday contest has just been announced. This is a pretty amazing competition open to makers of all stripes. The prizes for this contest are pretty serious; last year the top prize was a trip to space and it remains one of the prizes this year. You can also opt for a cash prize (if space is not your thing) and this year I believe the top prize is valued at over 100,000.00 dollars. The bonus, this is not an all-or-nothing contest; it is open to everybody and there are a lot of smaller awards along the way. Besides, better to have made and failed, then to have made nothing at all (or something like that) …

This year the contest is about making something that matters. Paraphrasing the contest announcement … they are looking for builds that matter to society and the world in some way in that these builds solve a problem for society at large. What kind of problems? Good question … the contest organizers are leaving this up to us.

• Is ozone depletion getting you down?
    • Do we need a replacement for fossil fuels or a better solar whatever?
    • Are you constantly running out of disk space on your computer and feel that you have the solution?
    • Is there a medical problem out there that you can make better?

In other words, what problem do we feel is plaguing society and what can we do to address it?

I wonder what everybody thinks? What is a problem facing society today? Is there something that our group could do to address it?

Check the contest out at:

Watch the Official 2015 Hackaday Prize Video

• Very cool! This would be a good chance to work on a community project during the summer, in our brand new makerspace.

The Contest will open at 7:01 a.m. P.D.T. on March 10, 2015 and initial submissions will be accepted until 1:50 p.m. P.D.T. on August 17, 2015. After August 17, 2015. The Contest ends with the announcement of the prize winners on or around 11/9/2015

I like their focus on the problem and the fact that you have to document and log progress. Even if we don’t win anything, just having to record progress reports will help keep ourself on track.

Now we just need a good problem to solve. Anyone?