New and Improved Maker Monday

• As some people already know I have taken over Maker Mondays.

Maker Monday is the night each week that we ask for members to come in and help us clean. This improves the usability of the Space for everyone, helps us deal with clutter of unneeded donations and this impresses potential new members.

I am changing how Maker Monday is run a little. Previously it was run 6-8 and volunteers where required to do 2 hours of work for the Space to buy them dinner. However there was a problem keeping track of the time people actually worked. Unfortunately the honour system was taken advantage of by some. And in all honestly the Space can’t afford to buy meals for volunteers right now.

So what I have come up with is a sign up system. Each Monday I will have a sign up sheet.
    I would like volunteers to do one hour of work. This can be anything from sweeping, vacuuming and mopping. To working on fixing equipment around the Space.
    I will be checking on items that have been put down as items completed.

Each week I will be trying to post a list of things I have noticed around the building that are in need of being done. Please feel free to let me know of things you have seen because I don’t use all the shops Spaces and may not see everything. Also if you see something else you would like to do during Maker Monday feel free.

As for food a meal will still be provided. These meals are going to be homemade, often cooked at the Space.
    I want peoples opinions on how the meals will work though.
    We will either have one or two people that prepare meals on a regular basis and donations are made to those people to help with the cost of the food. (Feeding 10-20 people isn’t cheap after all.) So far @Chainmaildave, @megan-fenkhuber Jason, Cat and myself have provided all the food and done all the cooking. This is what we have been doing to this point.
    And the other option is that we could do a sort of potluck. (A stick of butter is not an acceptable potluck donation.)

• Maker Monday the 19th
    Items that need to be done:
    Hack room, Electronics room, Hallway (including front entry) and Stairs - These areas all need to be swept, have the corners vacuumed and be mopped.
    Hack room table - Needs to be cleaned off and washed.
    Lounge - Tables need ot be cleaned off and washed down.
    Metal Shop - General clean up, floor sweeping. As well as some general laser maintenance.
    Third floor - Floor Sweeping, quick vacuum in the corners and such.
    Wood Shop - General clean up. Sweep as well as vacuum saw dust from around the more used machines. Perhaps the filter system.

Things that do NOT need to be done: The Lounge, Kitchen and Mudroom floors where washed Friday. @ColeVanD cleaned them on Friday and they are still looking great. Thanks Cole.

Meal for the Monday:
    Carolina Style Pulled Pork. This is a Tomato Free Pulled Pork. It is supposed to have Onions. So @colin, if you are planning to attend please let me know before morning so I don’t add the onions to the food.

• Design Lab

Maker Monday LIVES!!! Thank you, @KillwithKindness - well said, and good job taking Maker Monday to its next level.

Ill chip in tonight with some boom boom $ for din din…and will be chipping away at getting the second floor finished.

Thank you.

• I want to thank everyone that attended Maker Monday tonight, we had nearly 20 people.

Thanks to: @Vaughn, @megan-fenkhuber, @Krankin, @ColeVanD, Nikita, Jahal, Janet, Hayley, @amanda_e, Dustin, @Bradley-Maker, @Chainmaildave, @ornatesapphire, @Grant-Fraser, @Fireball

We got so many awesome things done. From cleaning the floors, Hack room, Lounge Design Lab and halls. To more sales items for Canada Day. And lots of work on the Kiln Room/Clay Space.

Hopefully we can keep this roll going for Maker Mondays in the future.

Next week we are thinking of doing a stir fry. The main meal will be vegetarian stir fry. There will be meat prepared on the side for anyone who desires it.

This week we did run a little short on food so closer to next Monday I am going to try and get a kind of tally on how many people will attend so that we can have enough food.

Again thank you everyone.

• @KillwithKindness and I are planning a trip to Costco tomorrow to buy some much needed supplies. So far that list includes:

• Toilet Paper/Paper Towel
    • Shop Cloth
    • Kitchen Cloths
    • Rags for other shops
    • Hand soap
    • Dish Soap
    • Laundry Soap (for washing dishcloths, rags, etc)
    • Coffee

Any other items you can think of pleas let us know

Also, as we all know, these things cost money and in all honesty most members make use of our bathrooms and our kitchen (from just having a cup of coffee to preparing a full meal). Anyone who can donate a dollar or two for this supply trip would be greatly appreciated. Please put it in the “food donation” jar in the Kitchen. THANKS!

• I sent an e-transfer of $50 to the membership email.

• Director

@dhylands Thank-you very much! I spent $110 on supplies and @KillwithKindness spent $45 on supplies for burgers for next maker Monday. If anyone is able to supply approx 25 hamburger buns and other fixings such as an onion or lettuce that would be appreciated!

• Ok everyone, I know Maker Monday is supposed to be, well, Mondays. However I have been doing some thinking about it. I have been informed by about half of our wonderful Monday regulars that they can’t come in this Monday due to work or other arrangements. Also July 1st is next weekend and I know there was talk about having the Space open so the members manning the booth at the park could send interested event goers over to see what we have. Space should be as clean as possible for that as @Grant-Fraser mentioned in his thread about “Canada Day Art in the Park”. My thought was for this week why don’t we do Maker Monday on Friday evening. That way Hack Night has passed and hopefully we can keep things tidy from Friday night until Saturday, impress some new people and draw in new members.

If anyone is against this idea please let me know, otherwise Maker Monday this week will be Maker Friday. This is only for one week, after that we will return to our regularly scheduled Maker Mondays.

Also as a note. I have bought the food supplies. Black Bean burgers (Hopefully @amanda_e can make it) as well as beef burgers, cheese, mayo. @Chainmaildave has supplied us with buns for the burgers. We have mustard, ketchup and relish I believe. Anything else you like on your burgers like onions and lettuce please bring in.

Also for anyone that is coming please, please let me know. I need an idea of the number of mouths I am feeding. Last week I thought I had lots of food but we actually ran out of the pulled pork. Happy that everyone seemed to love it but I want to make sure I have enough this time around.

• I want to thank several people tonight.

@megan-fenkhuber, @Catberg, @ColeVanD, @Grant-Fraser and Garret.

Tonight the 6 of us worked our butts off and weeded the whole sidewalk between the building and the street as well as swept it all clean. We did not get to the side of the building between us that the New Life Community. We are going to try to get this done in the next few days. However the next few days are pretty busy so I can’t promise that will happen.

0_1498630651870_Weeds.jpg
    0_1498630705722_No Weeds.jpg

• Maker ‘Friday’ tasks:

~ Clean the front entryway. (I know we don’t use this entrance a lot however I thought we should have it clean and tidy for Saturday and next week if we are having the open house 5-9 Monday to Friday. @Grant-Fraser: I know the ceiling tiles are down for a reason, but maybe we can tuck the tiles away neatly instead of putting them back in place?)

~ Take away all the trash outside the building as well as all trash in the mudroom and hopefully change all garbage cans as well.

~ General Laser Cutter maintenance. This really needs to be done. The laser cutter has been used a lot over the last few weeks in preparation for the Canada Day Table. And if we are doing an open house it should be ready for demos.

~ General 3D Printer maintenance. Clean up of the printer area mostly. @ColeVanD has been doing a great job of keeping the printer taken care of. But any clean up of filament and such around the machine would be great.

~ Basic Metal Shop, Wood Shop cleaning. Wood shop sweep and cleaning around the saws that have pools of saw dust.

~ Sweeping all the floors, and mopping all the floors. I will be doing this.

~ Bathrooms both need to be cleaned. I will clean the Ladies bathroom if one of the men can clean the men’s bathroom please.

~ Lounge and Hack room tables need to be cleared off. Not spotless but cleaner.

~ Hack room tidying.

~ Craftorium needs to be tided. @megan-fenkhuber I know you aren’t there Friday night but maybe Thursday night and a little Friday during the day. @Catberg if we can work on it tonight a little as well.

~ Design lab just needs a sweep and maybe a mop as well. @Vaughn, let me know of anything else? Again I will do this floors for this.

~ Dishes in the kitchen are piling up again.

I know this list is BIG and maybe a little intimidating. I have done my best to get things done over the last week myself and with help from a few Spacers with a few minutes to spare. Again I want to give those people a giant THANK YOU! Honestly I can’t thank you people who helped me last night nearly enough. Garret isn’t a member, he was here for Cole’s awesome 3D workshop and he came out and dug weeds for us. We get some seriously great people that come into the Space!

I am going to try and deal with more items of this list tonight. And I am trying to get part of the day off Friday to come in early and do more. Anyone that can make it Friday it would be greatly appreciated.

And remember, burgers for dinner!

• Design Lab

Thank you, Ashley @KillwithKindness for totally swinging into action for the Space. You are a Force of Nature.

• Sorry guys. I don’t think I will be able to make it in for Maker Monday tonight. I am really not feeling great today. I was hoping it would go away but currently it is just getting worse.

If someone want’s to try and get things going in my place just some basic cleaning would be great. Sweeping, mopping any nasty looking old spills. Cleaning off tables and dishes. It would be greatly appreciated and I would owe you a big thanks.

If anything does get done please just post it here so we can keep track of things as we normally would on the time sheet. Thank you.

• 3D

@KillwithKindness I hope you are feeling better. I tried to get in and do some clean up but the space was closed. Sorry.

• @KillwithKindness has asked me to post here, since she does not have her laptop handy. Is anyone planning on coming in for Maker Monday this week? She’s trying to figure out how much food we might need.

• Director

@pierre I will be there

• Ok so I know I haven’t made Maker Monday in three weeks. Between being sick for 2 weeks and the holiday Monday things just haven’t worked out in my favor.

I will be there today, @megan-fenkhuber will as well it looks like. Not sure about @pierre. With a busy weekend I wasn’t able to plan any meals, and don’t want to try and plan a large meal not knowing about how many people I will have because last time I did that no one came in. So what I will probably do is order or pick something up once I know what I am dealing with.

So anyone that comes in and cleans for an hour tonight between 5 and 8, fills out my form and wants food will get to help decide what we have. My suggestion is Kami Pizza, great filling food at a good price. If you have a suggestion let me know.

• 3D

I’ll be there. Kami Pizza sounds yummy. If I bring a Ceasar salad, will anybody help me eat it? I’m open to other salad requests ;)

• Awesome, thank you Beth. Kami it likely is then.

And I love Caesar salad, so does Pierre and I am pretty sure Megan likes it as well.

As for Pizza are there any preferences? I will be ordering 2 at least, more if there are enough people. One will be a white sauce one due to Pierre’s tomato allergy but the second can be a tomato sauce one. Just need to know what people would like.

Here is the menu if anyone is interested it checking it out. I know they have some sort of family dealio but it is only listed on the physical menu’s so I don’t recall what it is. I will see about stopping on the way to the space to get the info.

• Maker Monday is tomorrow!

I have spent a portion of the day making Shepard’s Pie from scratch! So hopefully we get a few people in tomorrow.
    0_1503886340299_IMG_20170827_175235.jpg

Our main objectives will be:
    Weeding the sidewalk and possibly some weeding around back. This is priority before we get another letter from By-Laws.
    Bathrooms
    Tidy the mudroom
    Sweep and wash floors that need it.
    Maybe w can get someone that knows the electronics room to help in there. I know Ron had it looking great at one point.

Cole and I didn’t the dishes today so HOPEFULLY there will not be a giant pile again tomorrow.

• 3D

@KillwithKindness I am very unhappy say I’m out of town :(

• Design Lab

@ashley thank you for your work keeping Maker Monday going through this wierd summer!

I look forward to jumping back into it in September once my work season cools down.

Thank you.