Intermittent forum failure

• There have been reports of the forum being offline. It’s always worked when I go to use it so I don’t know what the problem is. If anyone can post the time and the error message we can track the problem.

• The only issue I ever had last year was. My date and time was not correct. Telling me that the forum was in the future. lolz :) On what platform are the issues on. Laptop, pc, smart phone, pda ?

• Yesterday and this morning, the affected platform was: The internet.

I did a little digging and was getting back DNS errors looking up anything on the kamloopsmakerspace.com domain from several different DNS servers.

• What pierre said.

I normally have my DNS pointing at Google’s DNS server 8.8.8.8. When I saw the proiblem, I switched back to using the Telus DNS and things were mostly OK. I still had a couple times where I had to reload. The issues I saw were all DNS related and nothing to do with the site itself.

• Further diagnostic info:

Fails on Google DNS:

pierre@pierrelaptop:~$ nslookup community.kamloopsmakerspace.com 8.8.8.8
    Server: 8.8.8.8
    Address: 8.8.8.8#53

** server can’t find community.kamloopsmakerspace.com: SERVFAIL

Fails on Teksavvy DNS:
    pierre@pierrelaptop:~$ nslookup community.kamloopsmakerspace.com 76.10.191.199
    Server: 76.10.191.199
    Address: 76.10.191.199#53

** server can’t find community.kamloopsmakerspace.com: SERVFAIL

WORKS on Open DNS:

pierre@pierrelaptop:~$ nslookup community.kamloopsmakerspace.com 208.67.222.222
    Server: 208.67.222.222
    Address: 208.67.222.222#53

Non-authoritative answer:
    Name: community.kamloopsmakerspace.com
    Address: 104.131.152.92

And I can currently post this to the forum using https://104.131.152.92/topic/1148/intermittent-forum-failure/4 and confirming the SSL certificate exception in my browser.

I suspect that because Digital Ocean is cloudy, the IP will move frequently, but hitting up a couple of different DNS servers might get you back in. I’m going to add OpenDNS as a fallback on my router for now. :)

• 3D

This error is happening due to our DNSSEC key expired. This will get fixed today – hopefully. Will take up to 72 hours to propagate across the planet though.
    I’m on it! Thanks for letting me know!

• 3D

The fix did not happen today as it turned out that Aras does not have access to the domain name admin panel. I need to sit down with somebody who does. Please PM me to set a time for this.

• @toxuin as I mentioned, I transfer the domain ownership to the board. @kile was the one who received it, so I would talk to him.

• Classroom

Hey folks, I have been out of town for a bit and I’m just seeing this. I do indeed have the information to log into the website hosting account. I am trying to be at hack night tonight, but I have a ton on the go at the moment and may not make it in. If I’m not around by 7 you can text, email, or PM me on the forum (that is the order you are most likely to get me instantly with - someone around should have my number).

• Design Lab

Thank you to everyone who works to keep the Space platforms up and running in all its forms, especially @pierre @toxuin @arasbm @kile @Grant-Fraser @dhylands @MIPS @ColeVanD - who did I forget?

THANK YOU.

• Classroom

@toxuin just fixed the issue, it could take up to 72 hrs for the fix to propagate on teh cyberwebz