Unbox the OX - My new CNC Router

• My OX CNC Router kit arrived yesterday, and I did a blog post for the unboxing:
    http://blog.davehylands.com/2015/03/ox-cnc-router-unboxing.html

• Thanks for sharing .nice qoing

• Part 3 of the build - all of the mechanical stuff is done: http://blog.davehylands.com/2015/03/ox-build-part-3.html

• @dhylands please keep the posts coming, they are really awesome.I am following your progress closely.

Are you going to try LinuxCNC with it? I’d love to see a post covering your experience with LinuxCNC if you try it.

• Looks like a nice machine, please post a video of your first cut😃 The swarf in the Delrin nut is a bit odd. I wonder how they formed the threads? If it causes you any grief with backlash I have some Delrin blocks that we could build a new nut from. Heat molding the threads around the acme screw apparently gives really good results.

• Part 4 - First Movement.

Also my first time using ChiliPeppr

http://blog.davehylands.com/2015/03/ox-build-part-4.html

• That is so exciting, I love that pen holder design, thanks for sharing it. Cant wait to see it cut!

• Part 5 - I added a slotwall spoilerboard.

http://blog.davehylands.com/2015/03/ox-build-part-5.html

• The youtube t-slot video is weird… I understand the use of the dado blade on the table saw to remove the bulk of the material. It makes sense for the same reasons that a horizontal milling machine removes bulk stock a lot faster than a vertical mill. That 10" saw blade rips through stock in a way that a 3/4" router bit never could.

But why does he not use the CNC router to put the final slots in? That would let you ensure consistent spacing of the slots so that a jig that spans multiple slots works anywhere on the table… I’d tend to cut the slots slightly undersized with the table saw, and bolt it to the table… Then I’d surface the plate with the CNC, and use a t-slot cutter to do the undercuts, then finish the lips to size with an up-cutting router bit. That way everything that is used to position the parts is square to the table and correctly sized and spaced, to the best tolerances that I can hit on that machine.

• For a spoilerboard which the router can actually reach everywhere, then using the router seems like a logical solution.

For the base spoilerboard I put on my OX, I can’t actually cut that on the Ox itself. But I would be able to cut a smaller one (just using that as an example)

• T slots are never square to the table, they are close but for precision work you would never rely on them. Close is a relative term but for most work on a router where your leaving stock material on all 4 sides it really doesn’t matter how square you get the stock to start with. As long as the final outside diameter of the part, is smaller than the stock you started with your going to be cutting at the highest degree of accuracy the machine is capable of. The t nut Dhylands cut would be no more or no less accurate if his t slots were on a 45 degree angle from the bit.

Ya gotta love watching a machine take its first bite 😊 I’m a little jealous of the size of your cutting table. Makes my little mill seem puny😳 if you haven’t tried it yet, give Lexan a try with a single flute carbide cutter and a steady blast of air to cool the bit. I use about 20psi through a very small (.08?) nozzle and it works great. I have more loc line and nozzles than I can use in a lifetime if you wanted to try it, I could cut you a small aluminum reducer like I use as well to focus the air flow. The higher the chipload on the cutter the better as long as you can keep it cool and stop the plastic from melting to the bit. Lexan cuts easily but doesn’t create any dust so it’s far less messy, I would also guess it’s more durable than hardboard for most applications.

Thanks for the first cut video, keep them coming

Shawn

• Nice attention to datail dave. I admire that.

• Linux

Awesome video … looks like dust collection or a blower might be a future project too?

• Congradulations @dhylands ! Everything looks so well tuned. That rapid movement on Z is going to be so handy if you decide to manufacture a large number of small parts in one go.

How do you like Cambam so far? Would you recommend it? Does chillipepper have any sort of profiling capabilities built-in?

• I use SheetCAM in the past, and it workd well with Rhino, but doesn’t know how to deal with STL’s nor could it deal with DXFs exported from OnShape.

CamBam was able to deal with both. It seems to have all of the basic CAM features. One of the really nice things about SheetCAM is that the post processor is written in lua so you can write your own quite easily. You can try CamBam for free (it will truncate the code) but it gives you a chance to try it out. I bought a copy, since I’m confident it will do all of the things I need it to do

TinyG and GRBL don’t have canned cycle support (i.e. G81 and G83 which is normally used for drilling). And the CamBam post processor isn’t powerful enough to do loops, but it apparently has the ability to run a post-processor program. There are some python scripts which will convert the G81/G83 into G01/G00 so I think that wiill work fine.

Chilipeppr is really just a gcode sender written in JavaScript. It talks to another program called serial-port-json-server which has a network/json interface and can send data to a serial port. So you can run the serial-port-json-server on an RPi or BBB and connect over ether from the computer running chilipeppr.

What do you mean by “profiling”.

• @Chris I have a dust collector - I just need to install it. It’s one of these: http://www.clearvuecyclones.com/cv1800-series/23-cv1800-lh-single-phase-with-filters.html

So yeah - dust collection is definitely in the future. I have a dust deputy (http://www.oneida-air.com/category.asp?Id={CC6B6F2A-E3D7-4F18-A53C-B5C357DFE131}) mini-cyclone for my shop-vac, so I’ll probably use that in the mean time.

• @dhylands Thanks for the detail response!

What do you mean by “profiling”.

I have heard that that term used for plasma cutting a lot, which refers to the functionalities that SheetCAM provides for example compensating for kurf, setting tabs, choosing cut start position, etc.