• I’ve been thinking about making an ultrasonic cleaner for cleaning clock parts. But, now I realize my thinking was shamefully limited. :)

• Looks like that’d be a pretty sweet setup for degassing resin casts to avoid bubbles… but likely not much use as a parts cleaner.

EBay routinely has inexpensive 60-100W, 40kHz transducers with driver boards for under fifty bucks:

These are essentially the magic bit that makes auto-shop parts cleaners chooch.

I have a plastic laundry sink beside my garage that I’m planning on adding one of these and a recirculating pump with filter to… That seems like about the right combo. Maybe a second higher pressure pump with a jet nozzle to cover all my bases.

• Classroom

@Ron_Ron, WTF?

Like holy. . .

• I guess you never seen this yet? I first seen ultra sonic levitation two years a go. I think the most interesting use of it is to change properties in medication. Can you imagine having a seed and water growing in it. Or maybe playing with farrow fluid. This DIY is on the small scale, so it has its limits.

• Classroom

This blows my flocking mind.

First question, when can we build one? (A more specific iteration of that question, is the Prussa down—i.e. receiving repairs or upgrades atm? If yes, please refer back to the first question.)

Next question, when can we build the second? (A related question, have you seen anyone online try to put two or even three of these with the lines of nodes orthogonal and intersecting? This should orient that the lines of nodes along the x, y, and possibly z axes, unless I am not Φ6 güd in my brain.)

Must build to find out.

Modelling standing waves formed by the interactions between nuclei and the clouds of electrons that surround them—where electrons are stacked in probability distributions with increasingly complicated nodes as you move away from the nuclei—forms the basis for humankind’s collective understanding of matter, and all of its interactions (or the field of study known as chemistry). This would be an incredible interactive object to have in the classroom when introducing certain concepts around MO theory. Between the levitator showing the standing wave forms in 3d space, and that sand plate showing a 2d cross section of the standing wave interactions, you could really help someone visualize how quantum processes acting on subatomic particles can add up to create chemical interactions.

Srsly, mind is literally figuratively blown.

Now I have to watch everything the internet has on these things, and stare at pictures of molecular orbitals for hours on end; thanks again @Ron_Ron!

I submit for your viewing pleasure, the complete MO set for the quintessential example of sp1 hybridization, the molecule ethyne, a.k.a. acetylene (H–C≡C–H):

• @kile More then one node you say?

• Classroom

@Ron_Ron, awesome. Bruce W. Drinkwater, may be one of the best names I have ever seen. Great citation.

• @kile said:

A more specific iteration of that question, is the Prussa down—i.e. receiving repairs or upgrades atm?

It took several hours to sufficiently clean the bed of residue from the old holy PEI sheet. @Vaughn managed to install the new sheet… @Grant-Fraser and I were going to try it but figured we’d wait for a subject matter expert to lay down a sheet of adhesive-backed plastic without getting any bubbles under it. Was well worth waiting an extra day for that. I bolted down the bed again tonight and started lacing the wires, but need to double-check the connections and zip tie some things. Plus there are a couple of screws I could not identify. I’m hoping @Grant-Fraser will take a look with me tomorrow night and we can be online again.

• @kile I am glad you have this much interest, curiosity, and excitement in this subject.

• Classroom

@pierre, awesome thanks for the update. I talked to @Vaughn yesterday about the printer, and he mentioned insight had wanted to use it, but it was down, and didn’t seem to know much more.

Glad to hear there is a plan, and alway happy to take the extra time to ensure that things are done correctly with the equipment, and valuable associated sundries for its upkeep.

Thanks @Grant-Fraser, @pierre, and @Vaughn for sorting this out!