C.R. Clarke Thermoforming Centre

• I have a project that I have been wanting to use this for.

• Design Lab

Lets set a date and make something with this thang!

• I put the machine manual in the same book as the student manual. Somebody just needs to bravely read the instructions.

• @Vaughn said:

Lets set a date and make something with this thang!

What would you like to make?

• Design Lab

@pierre sheets of small scale masonry mold for casting a clay lighthouse; brick size about .25 x .75 wide. Or bee molds/hexagon shapes for clay casting.

• Masonry molds should be easy to vacuum form… We cut a relief form into mdf or hardboard with a router sized to fit the platen, and I suspect the machine will pull hard vacuum right through it. I’d be tempted to use a V-shaped bit in the router to ensure that we get a release angle.

If we want the bricks to look distressed, we can take a dremel to the faces of the form as long as we don’t introduce any undercuts.

I used a vacuum former in a shop class one time around 1994 but was pulling plastic onto a mold that someone else had built. Best of my recollection we should be able to get a good result using the tools we have and fairly thin plastic.

Bee molds are more of an injection mold thing, and I suspect that we won’t need enough of them to invest the time and money to make an aluminum mold to inject into. If you need 3 molds for clay, 3d-print them. If you need to make 1000 plastic bees, make a multi-part injection mold.

• Here’s the instructional video. Sound is terrible.

• Grant: It occurs to me that there is probably some scrap ABS up at Scorpion if anyone wants to try some injection molding on this machine. We normally throw it away, as no one will accept it for recycling.

BrianB

• I was wondering why a dome maker was a big deal. Then I saw this and thought I could do better.