Hack Room Cleanout

• As you might of noticed over the last few weeks there has been an accumulation of stuff in the Hack Room. At one point it used to have a “take whatever you want” sign on it, but that seems to of gone missing.
    Anyways, THIS SATURDAY I will be leading a major attempt to retake back the hack room by going through it all and sending out as much as I possibly can for eWaste recycling. A few items have exceptions for now (mainly the computers and the three shelves of test gear in the corner, the 3D printers, rework machine, CNC machine etc.) but everything else is on the block. That in mind, IF YOU HAVE ANYTHING IN THE HACK ROOM YOU WANT TO KEEP I SUGGEST YOU MOVE IT OUT OF THERE BY SATURDAY MORNING OR IT MIGHT NOT BE THERE NEXT TIME YOU ARE IN. If there is specifically anything in the room you want to keep MOVE IT OUT OF THE ROOM. If there are any cables or parts you want for a project at home TAKE THEM HOME NOW.
    In a nutshell IF YOU HAVE NOT BEEN STORING YOUR PROJECTS IN YOUR CUBBY SPACE OR AT HOME LIKE YOU SHOULD, YOU BETTER NOT HAVE IT IN THE ROOM OR IT WILL LIKELY BE GOING OUT.
    The goal of this is to refresh what we have for hackable items and fodder via continued donations. Our stockpile of existing dismantled components will for the most part remain because we’ve dismantled enough printers now to say we are good for 3D printer parts but stuff like overflowing bins of cables will be culled.
    We also need to start seriously considering what to do with some of the donations from Ken. We have essentially not used any of the laptops or the desktops (exception is four I have reserved for the classroom) and nobody has attempted a reflow on the consoles he has dropped off. I will not include these items in this cull but unless we come up with a use for these items soon I suggest we return these to Ken as well because they are taking up large amounts of space.

• 3D

Please don’t Kill my 3D printer ;3;

Other than that, Do not show any Core2Duo’s any Mercy or any of the LGA775 Machines

• The two sets of shelves that have the 3D printers for the most part right now are already well organized. The one closest to the Pachinko machine however…

• Design Lab

@MIPS, it is actually kind of weird how much I like your authoritative side. Good work here.

• Please don’t kill the Pachinko machine.

I’d love to try my hand at reflowing a PS3, or most anything else… Because I’d love to know how to run the reflow machine.

If test gear ever goes up on the block, I’m interested in a 'scope. I’ve actually been looking at other modules that are available for those 7000 series Tek mainframes. They’ll take 3 modules, and it looks like you could swap out the logic analyzer for a timebase, a two-channel scope and a signal generator… That is a pretty kickass combo. If you have the analyzer as well, it is possible to just switch them out as needed.

• Design Lab

@pierre only @mips and @Ron_Ron are authorized to substantially modify or effect my cherished Pachinko Machine, which is displayed in the Hack.

I have implicit faith in their judgement, and know that any substantial modification to that object will be run by me first.

As an aside, the plan for the old lasertube display includes a strip of programmed LEDs simulating a laser-strike - Ill feed @Ron_Ron the deets when its ready. @Nicholas fed me me some super cool ideas I hadnt considered on that ish.

vw

• Design Lab

@MIPS me and @Nicholas are around - electronics cannot be returned to the dump after 3pm. Or 3:30?