Art in the Dark

• Looking at possible projects for Art in the Dark this year. I have a feeling we might need a bigger booth this year.

• So I finished my laser sound wave project. After spending a few hours playing with it. All I have to do now is slap a KM sticker on it and take a few pictures of it. I am very happy the way it turned out. What did I use for it. A bass subwoofer , a balloon, and a fancy laser set up. Also a tiny mirror.

• Design Lab

Blender (v.2) is good to.go…

• infinity cubed is all ready to go also!!!

• I am happy with the way it turned out.
    0_1508121779234_iytityityityityiyti.JPG

• I have been enjoying watching all kinds of music. Even classical music.
    0_1508121900366_PA140311.JPG

• Classroom

Awesome work @Ron_Ron! For art in the dark it might be fun to have it hooked up to a microphone. Would be really interactive that way…

• We could do that or hook it up to the sound system.

• So it turns out that the Art in the Dark coordinator is running the kitchen at my work… She says they’re doing it at Art Knapp this year. In the greenhouse.

And she wanted to know if the Makerspace wants to just go crazy on lighting shit up? Going to come by on Wednesday to see if anyone is interested.

• Classroom

@pierre, I’d go with yes on that. Thanks for setting up this up.

Do you know if they have a budget for materials? The amount of “crazy” that would could go would be directly proportional to the materials available.

• Design Lab

• @kile said:

Do you know if they have a budget for materials? The amount of “crazy” that would could go would be directly proportional to the materials available.

They have no budget for anything on this. Which means I think we’d want to re-use as many props and things as we have on hand. I’d be up for flying a helium filled LED banner inside the greenhouse… :) Some of the things @Ron_Ron has already built seem well suited (she was particularly interested in the LED mushrooms) Maybe some projectors, fog, spot-lights with laser-cut shadows… The Seahorse Seance would look pretty awesome in the right spot.

We have some lighting gear on the hackroom shelves too

• If we bodge together a nice bezel for it, @Ron_Ron 's hologram projector could be fun. Maybe a crystal-ball that sticks out of a “table”?

• anybody have a child size electric organ to donate for hacking? I have an electric light combo in mind

• @Grant-Fraser said:

anybody have a child size electric organ to donate for hacking? I have an electric light combo in mind

https://www.kijiji.ca/v-piano-keyboard/kamloops/lowery-organ/1300971639

https://www.kijiji.ca/v-free-stuff/kamloops/free-organ/1302833489

• @pierre

I was right…I do still have a login :) Thanks for adding me to the form!

Hi everyone! Megan here. I’m looking after decor for the event this year, but definitely would not call myself the coordinator (thanks though, Pierre). Re: budget…nada. As this is a fundraising event for the KAC, there is very little budget for decor (in fact, I’m still waiting on the official budget). As Pierre said, this year the event is being held inside of the Art Knapp Greenhouse and only the first 15(fish) feet from the store so the number of booths this year has been pared down from previous years, simply due to the needs of the space. That being said, I believe the Makerspace has a spot for something identified as “glowing fountain sculpture with some Arduino and chemistry involved”…whatever that means!

Love the sound of doing some cool stuff with projectors and lights!! And also those LED mushrooms. We’re confirming with the Photo Booth photographer if she has any specific needs (or concerns) about doing something crazy with UV/LED and a backdrop, so I’ll let you know if anything comes of that.

Please let me know if you have any other questions about the event!!

Cheers,
    Meg

• I guess I need to make some led mushrooms then! :)

• Classroom

Bump!

We have received an email from the organizers about what our submission for Art in the Dark will entail this year. Space is quite a bit tighter than last year apparently, and we only have a 6 x10’ area for our booth. The organizers want to know:

1. Do we want one or two tables in the booth? I said probably two, but if we have any freestanding pieces, we might only use one.
    2. How many volunteers will be at our booth? They need names ahead of time for the list at the door.
    3. Logistical requirements I said we will need power for sure, and asked if a water supply/ drain would be convenient for them to supply. They also mentioned UV lights, and if we needed some.

I think the UV lights were for the goo-on-the-speaker sound visualization, and I mentioned that we would need to use a sub for this. They pointed out that we are right next to the dance-floor and asked if the two sources of sound would conflict. I asked if we can get a feed for the main sound system so they complement each other instead, so we will see if that is possible.

The water was for the water corkscrew thing with the strobe-light that @Ron_Ron was talking about. I would love to see this one work out, but it could be tricky, and we would have to built it still.

So anyhow, this thing is just over a week away. Who is in, and what are they bringing along?