Art in the Dark

• Im a volunteer. I need a subwoofer and strobe light.

• Design Lab

@kile priority for me Weds 5-9 pm is Hack Night (I was the only person here doing tours and demos this week!), so I will see if someone can cover that and Ill run over.

Lets summarize the Art in the Dark hit list:

Blender V2 (Vaughn, one outlet and 4sq.ft of table)
    Infinity Cube (@Ron_Ron , one outlet and 4sq.ft. of table)
    Laser Visualization (@Ron_Ron, one outlet and table?)
    Sub Woofer goop generator (@who? outlet, sub, amp? )
    Waterfountain (@kile, outlet? water? drain?)

Makerspace Signage (@vaughn, uv oronge
    More blacklight (@vaughn, long and mcquade, OTHER LONG AND MCQUADE RENTALS?)
    Table clothes
    Makerspace pamphlets
    Fog machine?

Illuminames (where is the makerspace one?) Golden Ratio Calipers? Blender Staff? Mannequin with chainmail and blinky lights? Glow in the dark 3d printer (@ColeVanD ?)

• A glow in the dark charger. It would be a 1 foot square box with mirrors and a billion candlewatt light in the inside. A person could close an item in the box, hit the switch to charge it, and then take it out. LED’s are not good for this because LED light doesn’t have enough energy. This is better than sneaking off to a corner and trying to charge something with a cell phone. We can also use it around the space later.

• Design Lab

FYI for volunteers, we will have to man our booth from 5:30-12:30 on the day of, and please be aware of the following:

BC LIQUOR REGULATIONS: Staff & Volunteer Conduct: Your staff, including those who provide entertainment, must not consume liquor at an event site during work hours. This includes breaks, meal periods and between shifts on the same day. After work, you and your staff may consume liquor in your service area, as long as: you do not offer liquor to staff members in lieu of wages or as a bonus; your staff members are of legal drinking age; your staff members do not wear uniforms or clothing that identifies them as staff members; you are serving and consuming the liquor during the hours of sale indicated on the face of your permit; and you are not treated differently than a regular patron. Everyone involved with the event must refrain from illegal activities, disorderly conduct, or any action that might affect public safety.

• Design Lab

Confirmed volunteers:

member namee time
    @Vaughn ??-??
    @Ron_Ron ??-??
    other ??-??
    other ??-??
    other ??-??
    leave bottom row and copy syntax for MD table

Please edit the table here to update, or comment if you would like to be added

• @Grant-Fraser I like to use UV leds s to charge glow in the dark stuff.

• Design Lab

We need to respond to the organizers with volunteer names (please see a couple posts up), so far @Vaughn and @Ron_Ron have piped up, any others? Can everyone please confirm the times that they will be “on the clock” as per the guidelines posted above. We need staffing at our both from 5:30 to 12:30, with the booth ready to open at 6.

Does anyone know if the gamers are in tomorrow? We should try to mock up the tables in the classroom if we can get access to the room. This is why I’m not really a big fan of standing bookings during hack nights in the classroom. If we can mock up the install, and plan to work on building/polishing stuff that night, I think it would be a great idea.

• Design Lab

@kile hopefully then you’re a fan of actually booking something else into the Classroom? As it stands (ie Classroom completely empty) I am a fan of using our unused capacity to invite new people into the space, especially Makers like Kamloops Open Gamers, whether Members are ‘fans’ or not on whatever containable terms suit them.

Look forward to seeing you at the Space mocking up Art in the Dark with us soon - we are here everyday working on it!

• Design Lab

@Vaughn said:
    @kile hopefully then you’re a fan of actually booking something else into the Classroom? As it stands (ie Classroom completely empty) I am a fan of using our unused capacity to invite new people into the space, especially Makers like Kamloops Open Gamers, whether Members are ‘fans’ or not on whatever containable terms suit them.
    Look forward to seeing you at the Space mocking up Art in the Dark with us soon - we are here everyday working on it!

@Vaughn, as I have tried to make very clear, I am a fan of utilizing the classroom in a way that the membership agrees is consistent with maximizing the gains this resource can provide, in achieving our stated mission.

For any policy conversation I have related to that room (and other spaces/resources related to the Kamloops Makerspace), this will be my focus.

I sense a hostile undertone in your email, and I fail to see how the comments you have made are constructive. We are both very busy, I am devoting a lot of time towards progressing the space, and so are you. We are doing it in different ways, but I don’t understand why you often seem to take a belligerent stance to feedback and constructive criticism that I offer.

I have made it clear before that I am a fan of inviting in any groups (internal or external) to trial run the classroom as we are formulating policy around it.

To clarify, what I am not a fan of, is having the room booked by a regular group, for an activity that will be non-inclusive for touring guests, for every hacknight. I have personally wanted to use the room as a distraction free area for short meetings around Kamloops Makerspace initiatives with members who are key to these projects, and who seem to frequent the space on Wednesdays.

I don’t know what you are talking about with ‘containable terms’, I’m not familiar with the phrase, but if you can explain what it means (in terminology related to achieving KM’s mission), I would love to use this as a jumping off point to build a foundation of understanding with which we can develop policy for the classroom, which can also serve to help/inform the other policies under development.

I would have liked to have this conversation with you in person, but I have emailed you and tried to set up a meeting, and received no response. And since you decided to post a classroom related comment in this thread (where I can see no constructive purpose for doing so), and tagged me, I feel it necessary to respond here.

I would love it if we can talk this out and start rowing together, and thereby pick up the pace in working together to achieve our collective goals!

• Design Lab

I’ve approached Long and McQuade about renting a sub-woofer and extra black lights. It looks like they will help us with the rental.

@Ron_Ron can you confirm we need the sub? Are you setting this element up?

As for the stobe lights, l&M doesnt carry them, but theres another guy that does. Should I get those too?

Who is paying for these rentals? Makerspace? Sadly, I am low on funds!

• @Vaughn said:

Who is paying for these rentals? Makerspace? Sadly, I am low on funds!

Any idea how much the rentals will be? I have some cash left over that I expected to spend at FanExpo last week…

• So far I really don’t need much so far seeing my display is going to be scaled down. I can probably scrounge stuff for it. I am guessing we will need some blacklights though.

• I have a few projects to work on so I guess I am going to be busy. I think KAC wants to do this. It need a projector, camera , light table and sand.

• Design Lab

@Ron_Ron, can we use the Elmo from the design lab, and build a little acrylic box for the sand?

Edit: I guess a light box and webcam might work better, I think there was a projector in the design lab at one point too. @Vaughn might have one for murals too.

• I can bring in a little projector that takes HDMI… I bought one to use for the haunted house but Brent offered us a more powerful one.

• Yes we have many options. KAC had sent us an email to make this happen. I think that they even offered to rent a projector. Well I guess we should make it happen one way or another.

• @Ron_Ron Your booth will be lit with over head blacklight/UV provided by KAC :) Does that work for you? Also, I have an HDMI operated projector as well, if needed.

• @cocoadotcakes Oh cool! I can’t wait. Yes we can use a projector. Our booth will be full of all kinds of cool things. I have so many projects to work on and not enough time. lolz

• @Ron_Ron Awesome! I’ll bring my projector but @pierre better bring his too incase mine misbehaves (I honestly never use it). Let me know if you need anything else! See ya Saturday :)

• So all I need video camera to connect to the projector.