Filament order

• Its time to order filament. Just to make things more complicated here is an article showing all the wonderful things you can do. It also has some good printing advise.
    http://nicklievendag.com/filament-guide/

• Design Lab

@Grant-Fraser, what is our current hot-end on the Prussa good to, and are we planning on getting another one? This will have a significant bearing on the materials that we can print from this list.

Nylon would be awesome (as it provides higher strength than PET or ABS with less odour apparently).

• I’d like to print some stuff with white PLA. If that’s something that’s orderable I’ll pay for a Kilo or two depending on the price. Saves me some shipping costs probably.

• I am interested in two spools of abs.

• @kile This answer is in several parts.

For the max printing temp I found “Actually the printer is limited in firmware to 305 degrees. But that really is pushing the thermistor.
    Probably best not to exceed 295 without swapping out the thermistor and changing firmware.”

The max bed temp is 120 degrees but in practice it struggles to maintain 110. I haven’t needed it hotter than 100.

The list of acceptable plastics is:
    Supported materials – PLA, ABS, PET, HIPS, Flex PP, Ninjaflex, Laywood, Laybrick, Nylon, Bamboofill, Bronzefill, ASA, T-Glase, Carbon-fibers enhanced filaments, Polycarbonates…

We have been printing with ABS at 250-260 degrees. I wouldn’t want to push things to the maximum rating often.

• @Ron_Ron what colours?

• I’ve been looking at reviews on filament. We need to make sure what we buy isn’t low quality.

Direct from esun http://isun3d.net/index.php/3d-filament.html PLA is $21.50 / kg. This brand is sold with markup on other sites.
    Hatchbox is another brand https://www.amazon.ca/HATCHBOX-3D-PLA-1KG1-75-BLK-Filament-Dimensional/dp/B00J0ECR5I

We have the multi material extruder on the way.
    We should find a way to make sure the filament is properly stored, even when in use. Some sort of container that mounts above the printer and keeps the rolls sealed.

• If you want to print nylon. We should get a second hotend. One for high temperature and one for low temperature.

• Nylon is super finicky. Makes abs seem really easy. We’d be better off setting up a dedicated nylon printer than swapping hot ends and retuning constantly.

• I need more feedback. So far we have white PLA and black ABS. This is the hatchbox website. https://hatchbox3d.com/

Check out all the different colours of the rainbow that we can get and let me know. Did you want to print a pink alien with glow in the dark eyes? It isn’t going to happen if you don’t ask for the filament.

The esun website seemed to be lacking in common colours. It was almost as if they’ve sold out.

• 1 abs Transparent Black and 1 abs glow in the dark. :)

• I’ll go with a kilo of the white Hatchbox PLA

• This is what a pretty dragon looks like.

To print that we need green, yellow, orange, and red.
    lets get creative https://www.prusa3d.com/original-prusa-i3-prints/

I’m looking for feedback on what colours of material the space should order. So far we are printing in black an white.

• I wish we had a set up like that.

I was only thinking of it as a personal order for myself. lolz

If its for the space? I am sure more abs would be nice. Black maybe. Pla red and purple might be nice? Not the best colours … how about makerspace orange?

• @Ron_Ron we’ve ordered that setup :)

• oh coolz! :) :) :)

• Here is the seacans website. They seem to be running low on ABS

https://seacans.com/

• How about a roll of soluble filament?

• Design Lab

@pierre, good call.

I read a bit more about it, and it seems like everything around it is manageable. You make a very good point though, that it would be easier to manage on a separate unit rather than trying to include it into the main/multi-purpose printer.

One of the biggest issues seems to be the fact that nylon is very hygroscopic (will suck water out of the air), but you can get around it by baking it at low temp in the oven, and storing in a sealed container with desiccant until use. I was even thinking of trying to make a hopper that kept the roll in a sealed box with a drying agent, and then just feed it to the printer through a little hole in a replaceable membrane for the print. This way you would only have to cut off a foot or two of filament for every print, and the rest of the roll would be guaranteed to be dry. So ya, this doesn’t make sense to do for anything other than a dedicated printer.

I know this sounds like a lot of work, and there are other filaments out there, but hear me out!

The reasons that nylon interests me so much are

1. it makes extremely strong parts, and printing with it produces no odour (compared with other high strength ABS alternatives, where apparently this can be a sizeable concern).
    2. nylon is a pretty easy synthesis, and I would like to develop a workshop, or series of workshops on the chemistry of polymers. Plastic is everywhere, and the basic chemistry of it isn’t hard to understand, but is barely taught anywhere. Seriously, there wasn’t any courses available in my chem degree that focused on it for more than 1/3rd of one lecture.
    3. if we did synthesize it, then in theory, we could extrude/spool it on the super-duper-plastic-pooper.

So yeah, none of this is relevant to the filament order for the current thread here I guess, and I will actually just copy and paste this post to its own thread (so please use that if you plan to reply), but I will still crosspost here because, why not? Maybe some etiquette/posting guidelines would help us manage this digital space (much like it would for our physical spaces). But ya, we don’t have it now, so I’ll still post here just to prove a point (and because I’m curious how many people have an intuitive understanding of forum etiquette. In fact, I’ll start a thread for that too, crosspost this in three locations, and see if people can figure out where the appropriate place to respond is. Admittedly, this is a poorly controlled study, and describing it as such here will certainly skew the results.

Also the length of the post may prevent anyone from reading and responding to it as well, but lets see…

Edit: @kile (9nov2017) Added links
    playing with nylons | forum etiquette