Filament order

• 1 abs Transparent Black and 1 abs glow in the dark. :)

• I’ll go with a kilo of the white Hatchbox PLA

• This is what a pretty dragon looks like.

To print that we need green, yellow, orange, and red.
    lets get creative https://www.prusa3d.com/original-prusa-i3-prints/

I’m looking for feedback on what colours of material the space should order. So far we are printing in black an white.

• I wish we had a set up like that.

I was only thinking of it as a personal order for myself. lolz

If its for the space? I am sure more abs would be nice. Black maybe. Pla red and purple might be nice? Not the best colours … how about makerspace orange?

• @Ron_Ron we’ve ordered that setup :)

• oh coolz! :) :) :)

• Here is the seacans website. They seem to be running low on ABS

https://seacans.com/

• How about a roll of soluble filament?

• Classroom

@pierre, good call.

I read a bit more about it, and it seems like everything around it is manageable. You make a very good point though, that it would be easier to manage on a separate unit rather than trying to include it into the main/multi-purpose printer.

One of the biggest issues seems to be the fact that nylon is very hygroscopic (will suck water out of the air), but you can get around it by baking it at low temp in the oven, and storing in a sealed container with desiccant until use. I was even thinking of trying to make a hopper that kept the roll in a sealed box with a drying agent, and then just feed it to the printer through a little hole in a replaceable membrane for the print. This way you would only have to cut off a foot or two of filament for every print, and the rest of the roll would be guaranteed to be dry. So ya, this doesn’t make sense to do for anything other than a dedicated printer.

I know this sounds like a lot of work, and there are other filaments out there, but hear me out!

The reasons that nylon interests me so much are

1. it makes extremely strong parts, and printing with it produces no odour (compared with other high strength ABS alternatives, where apparently this can be a sizeable concern).
    2. nylon is a pretty easy synthesis, and I would like to develop a workshop, or series of workshops on the chemistry of polymers. Plastic is everywhere, and the basic chemistry of it isn’t hard to understand, but is barely taught anywhere. Seriously, there wasn’t any courses available in my chem degree that focused on it for more than 1/3rd of one lecture.
    3. if we did synthesize it, then in theory, we could extrude/spool it on the super-duper-plastic-pooper.

So yeah, none of this is relevant to the filament order for the current thread here I guess, and I will actually just copy and paste this post to its own thread (so please use that if you plan to reply), but I will still crosspost here because, why not? Maybe some etiquette/posting guidelines would help us manage this digital space (much like it would for our physical spaces). But ya, we don’t have it now, so I’ll still post here just to prove a point (and because I’m curious how many people have an intuitive understanding of forum etiquette. In fact, I’ll start a thread for that too, crosspost this in three locations, and see if people can figure out where the appropriate place to respond is. Admittedly, this is a poorly controlled study, and describing it as such here will certainly skew the results.

Also the length of the post may prevent anyone from reading and responding to it as well, but lets see…

Edit: @kile (9nov2017) Added links
    playing with nylons | forum etiquette

• I just thought of another interesting one. Can we get a roll of flexible filament? TPE, NinjaFlex etc… Apparently Prusa has their own formula that prints at PLA settings.

Think of the things you can make with two different colors of rigid components, soluble support and a rubber-like flexible element that can be embedded into the print?

Seacans seems to be out of TPE.

This is their PVA soluble stuff.
    https://seacans.com/collections/other/products/pva-natural-1-75mm-500g

They also have polycarbonate:
    https://seacans.com/collections/other/products/polycarbonate-transparent-1-75mm-1kg

Which would be nice to print impact-resistant, translucent things.

• I have a 3d print project idea that needs white and dark blue filament.

https://seacans.com/collections/pla/products/pla-blue-1-75mm-1kg
    https://seacans.com/collections/pla/products/pla-white-1-75mm-1kg

I wish seacans had a conductive pla. Something like this stuff: https://www.proto-pasta.com/pages/conductive-pla

Embedding circuits directly into printed parts (lines for connecting LEDs, fingers with connectors to attach pressure sensors, battery holders with printed contacts… would be the obvious one) would be super cool. I’d love to print custom “programming harnesses” that you can drop an arduino or esp8266 into and configure them painlessly. In fact I’m going to go design a 3d-printed ZIF socket for programming the ESP-03 modules at first opportunity.

• @ColeVanD you like shopping. Can you put this together on a shareable spreadsheet? Lets compare hatchbox and seacans. I don[t really want to mix brands and seacans seems to be out of stock on much of it. Make sure everything on the wish list gets captured.

• What about getting transparent filament? Or close to it.

• Classroom

@Ron_Ron, interesting video on the MMU. I didn’t realize that there were issues with waste, it makes sense though.

What do people think about getting a kitchen scale for the 3d printer area, and either charing or recommending a donation per gram? I can’t really see an argument against it. If people would rather bring in spools of filament periodically instead then whatever, but it would be good to recapture some of the cost.

It would be nice to see the donated filaments increase our library of colours, and then have a plan to maintain that library moving forward, instead of just feeding on the donations until they dry up.

• I like Joel’s videos. I just happened to catch it today. lolz

I still think all prints should be by donation. I am sure there will be prints that are going to be 10- 20 hour prints.

I guess we could also fundraise filament.
    So with so much waste. Should we be thinking of recycling filament?

• Multi-material prints with clean transitions pretty much need a waste tower to accomplish the filament switch. I’d love to see a slicer module that lets it generate a waste tower that is another stl where you don’t care about the color of the part… So you make a printed multi-colored part, and off to one side it builds a “waste” part using random colors that happens to be a replacement component for a 3d printer instead of a brick of random plastic… Or lego pieces with makerspace logos in them… or most anything at all useful.

The obvious way to recycle failed prints and waste towers would be to chop 'em up and feed them to the injection molder or the plastic extruder. If you had a use for short plastic tubes, there is an extrusion head for making about 5mm ones I think… There is also one that looks like it would make plastic I-Beams?

• We would have to sort the waste plastic by type and trust that everybody else has separated the waste plastic properly. Filament costs 2.5 cents per gram. A suggested $1 per print donation would probably come close.

In the mean time we can’t afford filament until the laser is fixed.

• It looks like 50% - 74% is waste unless your print fails. you can easily a kg of filament.

Josef Prusa said “You forgot to mention one thing. For example in the case of Mixer model, you can print at least 6 copies in one go with the same amount of “waste” as with one, which shifts the percentages quite a bit. The waste would be only 14% then. The percentage amount of waste is completely in your hands 👏 Happy printing!”

So I guess we can make more then one copy at a time.