Members Meeting Nov 14, 2017 6:30-8:30


  • Design Lab

    Meeting Minutes

    Chaired by @Vaughn
    Minutes by @kile

    Called to order: 6:45
    Roll call: @Vaughn @ColeVanD @megan-fenkhuber @ornatesapphire @pierre @Grant-Fraser @KillwithKindness @Krankin @kile

    Follow-up on last months mintues/ongoing items

    • no minutes from last meeting:no action items for followup

    Report from Chair @Vaughn

    • Safe Space Policy (see post below for policy comments during meeting)
      • goal: develop a succinct policy to help people feel comfortable
      • 2 part process, define policy guidelines -> outline response protocol
      • comments on policy
        • discussion around racism vs discrimination
        • liability implications for criminality action item @Vaughn 1 month to follow up
        • complaints process
          • contact a director of your choice, who engages a second director
          • 3 forms complaint, response, and resolution action item: draft forms - @Vaughn, @ColeVanD, @kile volunteer

    Report from Secretary @kile

    • review of correspondance
      • BCLC volunteer request for next week
      • TRU Innovation Event – Friday November 24
      • Meeting with The Reach
      • info@KM was contacted RE sponsor ship opportunity from the Reach, which is a 30 year development project that will substantially improve integration between Kamloops and the TRU campus, and provide additional capacity on campus
      • @kile met with the Marketing and Communications Director and told her that we would follow up with a list of ways that the development might be able to help out the space
        • Suggestions for potential sponsorship opportunities:
          • things to build administrative capacity (ie. RFID/membership tracking solution)
          • dishwasher
          • 3d printer
          • small class set of laptops
          • post more suggestions below or email them to kile@kamloopsmakerspace.com
    • discussion of communication procedures
      • Community forum usage
        • usage guidlines for forum would help
        • time to move the forum hosting and turn on the back end of the membership tracking solution action item: @kile and @toxuin will move ahead and report back by next members meeting

    Report from treasurer @Grant-Fraser

    • monthly financials
      • financial report: (to be updated with full numbers by @kile)
        Fundraising Dinner $286
        Haunted House $5217 + ($1449)
    • heat is expensive
    • operating expenses ~$4000 (very close to avg monthly income)
    • we are slightly behind last years income
      • still have accounts owing from BCLC and Insight, will help close the gap
    • LEAP Fundraising opportunity, Dec 2 action item @megan-fenkhuber will follow up and report back by Nov 17

    New business

    • KM education/instructor policy @kile
      • describe policy intents, and allow for member feedback
      • @kile outlined a possible approach for a KM education policy, will provide more details and start a thread on it
    • KM classroom policy @kile
      • @kile showed a sample document as a reference template, and discuss approaching policy as “a way to provide a map for how we will define our culture, and collaborate to achieve our mission statement” action item @kile provide template along the lines of document shown for discussion for producing shop policies

    Meeting adjourned 8:57

    Edits:
    @kile - added items to new business
    @kile - added correspondence item
    @kile - added more correspondence items
    @kile - edits for live meeting minutes
    @kile - (Nov 14) Removed top paragraph, added details, spelling and grammar corrections, added and updated action items, added formatting


  • Design Lab

    Members: please review the following DRAFT of Makerspace Safe Space Policy and give feedback or input, if any, at the Members Meeting or here on this thread? Once we have defined the policy, we will craft a practical process for dealing with formal complaints. The initial intention is to established guidelines that promote a Safe Space.
    Thank you.

    Kamloops Makerspace Safe Space Policy

    The Kamloops Makerspace is a non-profit, volunteer-run collective of unique individuals from the widest spectrum of experiences, back-grounds, ethnicity and socio-economic situations. To ensure everyone a safe, enjoyable and hassle-free experience at our Space, the following guidelines are suggested:

    Please refrain from loud and belligerent behavior, including foul language.
    To accommodate and make-welcome the widest range of temperaments, age groups, attitudes and personalities, efforts should be made to moderate our own actions and words. Your efforts and cooperation are appreciated - it is important to the success of our Space.

    Harassment, bullying, racism, or criminality will not be tolerated.

    • Bullying/harassment is defined as unwanted negative behavior, be it verbal, psychological or physical, conducted by an individual or group against another person (or persons) and which is repeated over time.
    • Racism is defined as prejudice, discrimination, or antagonism directed against someone of a different race based on the belief that one’s own race is superior.

    • Criminality is defined as behavior that is contrary to or forbidden by criminal law.

    Complaints and suggestions for Board review can be made in confidence to chair@makerspace.com . Your email will be reviewed and responded to within 30 days, unless urgent action is required.


  • 3D

    What time?


  • Design Lab

    @ColeVanD 6:30-8:30 on the google calendar…


  • 3D

    @Vaughn Lol, Sorry. I never really look at the calendar for the times with events that are listed in the forum it self. Aka My bad.


  • Design Lab

    @Vaughn, I made a couple of comments on the Teams version that you posted, which don’t seem to have made it in. Can you please confirm for me if you have received them, and if you are willing to consider them?

    I can repost here if it is easiest for you.


  • Design Lab

    @kile Sorry - when I opened the doc in Teams, it didn’t show your suggestions, because my phone doesnt have enough space for the Word app. I can only access docs when I am at my desktop (which is under going repair right now).

    Post the suggestions here - we can put it in the mix! Sorry for missing that.



  • I will be a little late as I work until 6.15


  • Design Lab

    @Vaughn, no worries! I was commenting on an earlier version, some of of the comments are no longer relevant, I think the two below stand up though:

    Instead of focusing on racism, maybe we can broaden this to include sexism/ableism/sexual orientation and gender-identity related prejudice. I like the idea of keeping it two 3 items, and bullying, prejudice, and criminality cover what I think we want to

    I am very uncomfortable with a single point of contact for all complaints, I think we need to provide at least two. It is very unlikely that people would feel comfortable lodging a confidential complaint with the individual they were having the issue with. Can we change this to something like “directors@km, or with any individual board member”?


  • Design Lab

    Edited version of Safe Space Policy:

    Kamloops Makerspace Safe Space Policy

    The Kamloops Makerspace is a non-profit, volunteer-run collective of unique individuals from the widest spectrum of experiences, back-grounds, ethnicity and socio-economic situations. To ensure everyone a safe, enjoyable and hassle-free experience at our Space, the following guidelines are suggested:

    Please refrain from loud and belligerent behavior, including foul language.
    To accommodate and make-welcome the widest range of temperaments, age groups, attitudes and personalities, efforts should be made to moderate our own actions and words. Your efforts and cooperation are appreciated - it is important to the success of our Space.

    • Harassment, bullying, discrimination or criminality will not be tolerated.

    • Bullying/harassment is defined as unwanted negative behavior, be it verbal, psychological or physical, conducted by an individual or group against another person (or persons) and which is repeated over time.
      Racism is defined as prejudice, discrimination, or antagonism directed against someone of a different race based on the belief that one’s own race is superior.

    • Criminality is defined as behavior that is contrary to or forbidden by criminal law.

    Complaints and suggestions for Board review can be made in confidence to an individual Board Member (first name@kamloopsmakerspace.com).
    Your email will be reviewed and responded to within 30 days, unless urgent action is required.


  • Design Lab

    Thanks for the contributions at the meetings all, I have updated the minutes with almost all of the info, I will try to get Grants financials in tomorrow. I have started another thread for the safe space discussion to continue, as well as a thread with our mission statement as much of the policy discussion at the meeting focused on it. In the last round of edits I updated the action items, and members with actions assigned are:@Vaughn, @ColeVanD, @kile, @pierre, @megan-fenkhuber

    Can these members please confirm that they have seen the action items and that the timelines are correct (or provide timelines if they are missing)

    For action items where more than one person has volunteered, maybe the members can talk amoungst themselves and report back here when you have a plan for action (which includes how the participants will communicate/collaborate)?

    Great meeting, and thanks for the hard work everyone!


Log in to reply