Fundraising for new la$er tube
We will need a new tube for the laser and need to order it asap. If warranty comes through, great, but in the meantime we need to order a new tube today.
Looks like about $1000 is needed - I can commit to $100. Hopefully other laser jockey’s out there can help make this happen!
I will put in $50 for it.
In the interest of keeping our laser loan as short as possible, Scorpion will throw in $150.
It looks like we are going to order two tubes, because the shipping is more than the tubes themselves. Thanks to everyone chipping in - I also posted this to facebook page and am getting feedback there, as well.
Please e-transfer donations to firstname.lastname@example.org and note “laser tube”.
Would it be reasonable to assume that the new tube wouldn’t be put to use until the cause of the damange is identified and addressed?
I don’t pretend to know the first thing about laser cutters- but I figure whatever broke the first one could happen again?
I’m in for $50 to start.
@megan-fenkhuber and I have leftover Laser Cut Christmas Decorations from the TRU LEAP Christmas Party. So we have set up two workshops and are selling them. We have 22 sets of them so hopefully we can sell them all and make funds for the new laser with products from the old laser!
So far we have raised $600 with another $100 pledged. Almost there. Woot!
i’ll pitch in $50
I posted the fundraising call to the facebook page and there was good sharing there and response.
@pierre whats the word on ordering and getting the new tube(s) in?
I sent a transfer over for $200.
@pierre told me Saturday that he has sent some footage of the tube to the manufacturer who will comment on if it can be repaired or replaced under warranty.
The replacement will not cover the shipping if approved.
I think the wheels.should be put in Motion to order two new tubes immediately and get the warranty and or repair if possible later.
@Vaughn I hear you brother, but the shipping cost relative to the tube cost does not make this a practical course of action IMO.
@kile either way, whatever happens, we need to order and ship tube(s). Waiting for weeks to figure out what went wrong with the old tube and THEN ordering the tubes that we needed all along makes no sense to me.
@Vaughn, if what went wrong had to do with ordering a less expensive tube in the first place (possibly due to glass quality), does it make sense to order two more of these tubes from the same manufacturer without waiting an extra few days to see if this will be covered under warranty?
This does not make sense to me.
@pierre, sent the video a few days ago. Lets hear what the manufacturer has to say; I don’t see why this would take more than a few days. We have a temporary solution in place at the moment.
I would advocate for choosing the best course of action, not necessarily the quickest one (that is an important secondary consideration IMO).
Whether the warranty comes through or not, we need a.new.laser.tube. We could have one on the way or here already using funds already raised. If the warranty comes through, one of the two tubes ordered would be free.
If the manufacturer of the failed tube wants our business, and a warranry is in order, they will come through.
Meanwhile, we are losing member interest and the season.
This is the same rabbit hole we went down last tube fail - we.should order a tube immediately and keep the.momentum.
If the quality of glass is in question, then @pierre order a tube from G Wielke (the actual manufacturer of our laser) and KEEP MEMBERSHIP MOMENTUM. Saving a few dollars and dicking around with this is costing us waaay more than its worth. We have 20 memberships in jeopardy - immediately buying a new tube and getting it shipped and installed is the priority.
We should already have the new tube up and running - and deal with warranty issues separately.
@Vaughn, I view the priority as buying the correct tube as soon as possible. Buying the wrong tube, and having it ship immediately would be a mistake IMO.
If we get a credit for warranty, we will have to pay shipping. We cannot afford shipping from the last supplier, and from G Weike. This is why I believe that we need answers on the warranty issue.
@Vaughn, if you are not offering constructive advice for how to proceed in this situation (in light of all available evidence), then I don’t believe that creating a panic is helping at all. I don’t believe that this will resolve the situation any faster, in fact by ordering the wrong tube, we could significantly extend the situation into the next cycle of failing tubes.
In my opinion—when we are talking about nearly any activity at the Kamloops Makerspace—acting quickly is less important than acting correctly, for the longterm sustainability of the organization.
@kile I am not suggesting two separate orders/shipping. I am suggesting ordering two tubes from the supplier and having them shipped immediately. If the warranty covers one of the tubes, great. If not, we have the tubes we need anyway asap.
If the glass quality is not sufficient (and is therefore why it is cheaper), then order a tube or tubes from G. Weilke. Immediately.
@Vaughn, thanks for the clarification. This sounds reasonable.
Based on my conversation with @pierre, the manufacturer has has a few days with the video, and should be able to comment on warranty coverage very soon (¿any more info @pierre?), if they will cover one tube (or if @pierre looks at the glass specs and determines that G Weike isn’t any better), lets order a two and get them shipped ASAP.
If they aren’t going to cover one, I would be okay with going back to G Weike.
Either way, I think they should have had just about long enough to provide us with an answer.