Maker Monday, January - March 2018 (First Quarter

• So Monday (tomorrow, January 1st) is the first of the year and it is a holiday. Due to that and knowledge I already had from speaking with a few regular Maker Monday helpers I am not holding Maker Monday as I normally would.

This week I will be in between 1pm and 4 or 5pm. I won’t make dinner this week but I will do some baking as as always there will be coffee.

If anyone wants to stop by and do a job, enjoy some fresh cookies and visit a little that is awesome! But it people are busy with family and friends no big deal.

Happy New Years!

• OK I don’t have a list of ‘to do’ stuff for this up coming Maker Monday (January 8th).

We haven’t had a full Maker Monday in three weeks due to the holidays though so there will probably be a lot of things we want to get done. Main level floors did get swept and washed last week and Pierre did some clean up in the woodshop. But those are all things that build up pretty quickly. Floors are especially bad in the winter.

I have a meal planned and have to pick up some more supplies today. Hope to see a few of you tomorrow!!

• Design Lab

To do grab bag:

• Specify sign specs for shops and studios that need then upgraded @shop coords.

• Insulate and re-sheet window in basement that is loose

• Edging on Fab Shop work table @vaughn @pierre

• Wood waste gathered out of wood shop for dump run @Bradley-Maker

• Spec improved lighting for wheels in Clay Space @amanda_e

• Shelf for Lounge Lizard box under counter

• Shelf above Lounge Lizard for display of @Ron_Ron 's halobox and @Krankin 's PRV box

• @Ron_Ron - is it possible to run your halobox off the Lounge Lizard?

@KillwithKindness thank you for your steady coordination of Maker Monday - its a big benefit to the Makerspace.

• Classroom

@Vaughn said:

To do grab bag:
    (…)

I’m not sure if you have some angle iron or coping lined up for this, but I would definitely not do it in the same wood as the shops upstairs. Soft wood for edging in a metal shop would be a mistake IMO.

@Ron_Ron and I will be around earlier to work on prepping for the course Tuesday, I’m not sure how late I will be able to stay though.

• Design Lab

@kile @pierre and I discussed it and hardwood was sounding like a good balance between hardiness and ergonomics (ie, tools arent damaged when dropped on it, etc.). I have my eye on a source of 1"x4" maple that might work.

I hear you, though! What wood was used on the woodshop table? Pine?

• Classroom

@Vaughn, spruce I believe.

Maple sounds awesome, much heartier and prettier!

Ripping down a 8’ 1x4 into the right thickness could do the table from a single board I think. I would use glue liberally, and put in a screw within 6" of either end and another every 1.5-2’ to hold it tight until the glue sets.

If you look at the square table in the woodshop, you can see where the table surface is doubled up underneath with an extra layer of plywood that the edge is glued to. This is to hold it together longterm so it will stand up to quite the beating.

Unless i’m mistaken, that table is two complete layers of super beefy ply, so if they are flush all the way around, it should be off to the races.

• @Vaughn Yes we can do that. I do have a chromecast though.

• Design Lab

@Ron_Ron I was hoping to make a display shelf that allows people to see it running during open houses, etc, if that is possible? The Lizard is always running, so if the HoloBox (what do you call that contraption, anyway??) was connected to it and could be turned on during peak activity, that would be great.

It would be good to get @Krankin 's and @Grant-Fraser 's PRV (phosphorescent rejuvenation vessel) on its own display shelf, too.

Working the display angle - the more eye candy the better!

• @Vaughn With chromecast many devices including the Lizard should be able to connect to it.

@Vaughn Not sure this is the best place but not sure where else too put this:
    You had asked about signs perhaps we could get some signs with the password for the network on them so we can point at them instead of trying to tell people.
    the only suggestion I have is the font should be such that we can tell that it is all lowercase

@Chainmaildave with less confusing font than on what is on the sign bellow the open/close button

• Design Lab

Maker Monday tonight - I am going to focus on cleaning and packing the loaner laser and hanging the new clay extruder in the Clay Space.

@KillwithKindness - should we shout for Senor Frogs tonight and give you a night off the stove? I can contact @robert and order a few family packs… (including 4 soft tacos without tomato!)

• @Vaughn I have already bought the food for tonight. Chicken Pot Pie, Potato Salad and Buns.

• I want to thank everyone that made it in last night for Maker Monday.

@Krankin @pierre @Vaughn @Chainmaildave & Beth @DarrenAndSherry @Fireball

Wonderful to have our laser up and running again that’s to the efforts of @pierre, @Vaughn and a few of the other guys. Wood-shop looks great. Floors are shiny and clean.

I often forgot to make a post thanking those who attend our Maker Mondays.

So a big shout out to those who have found the extra time to come in and help out. It doesn’t always seem like a lot the night of but those hours you put in really do make a difference around the Space. Thank you all.

• Ok so I have been looking at the scheduling for this up coming week.

The Family Day Festival is on Monday, Feb 12th 10am-2pm. This is also normally a Maker Monday day.

I know a few of our Maker Monday regulars were looking at going to the Family Day Festival. And it is also a stat so people might have plans.

I was thinking we could do Maker Monday a little earlier. Say start it some time between 3 and 4, have dinner early and then people can make it home early or work on projects.

I am looking to see how many people are still interested in attending Maker Monday. As well as if starting earlier interests them.

I already have a dinner planned but it is something I can hold for a week and do on Monday, Feb 19th instead.

• I forgot to post sooner but I won’t make it to the Space until 5:30 - 6pm (So the normal time.) now because I did wind up having work today. Again I know it is a holiday so most people might not make it. And I we had people at the Family Day Event today so people might be tired. (Thank you everyone who made it to that. @Grant-Fraser @Chainmaildave @Vaughn And anyone else who made it out. I had planned to be there but couldn’t make it.)

I am also canceling Maker Monday for Feb 19th as I will be busy that day.

• Design Lab

We’ll do Monday the 19th - do a few things and Ill figure out grub. Thanks for keeping Maker Monday coordinated and for your cooking, @KillwithKindness !

• I would like to make a video of the space on Wednesday. Can we look at cleaning up the hack room?

• @Grant-Fraser I can’t promise this will get done. Reason being that I have put the Hack Room on the list multiple times and unfortunately most people that come in for Maker Monday don’t feel comfortable with cleaning that area because they don’t know what the things are and in turn where the things go. To the best of my knowledge the large pile of Scorpion donations you brought in is still spread across that table.

If I had known about this on the weekend I could have done some advance cleaning.

I will do my best to have the Space cleaned up and presentable for this.

A large priority tonight is cleaning around the building though. With the snow melted and gone it is filthy outside and I want this dealt with before By-Laws comes around and sees it. We got a letter last year even after @Vaughn did a good clean up outside.