Lets Buy An Embroidery Machine **Funding**

• 3D

This would make a great addition to the @Craftorium!

0_1515562891015_Machine-embroidery-10.JPG

As many of you have expressed interest to me about an Embroidery Machine for the Makerspace, I have compiled a list of features and functions of each machine that we could fund for from least expensive to most expensive

1. Brother SE-400, SE-425 Sewing & Embroidery $425-$550
      (Aka My Personal Machine) There are a few others that are the same just with a slightly different sku but they are the same just different Premade designs on the disk or have Disney licences.

0_1515565694045_20180109_193027.jpg

Specs:

• 4x4" / 10 cm Embroidery area (Large enough to do most patches) The one pictured is 3" / 7.5 CM
    • 400 Stitches per minute
    • Is a pretty nice sewing machine, Oh~ I forgot to mention this thing is also a Sewing Machine.
    • Drag and drop your files on for easy use, no convoluted software to deal with.
    • Design your own projects! We are a Makerspace after all
    • http://www.brother-usa.com/homesewing/modeldetail.aspx?ProductID=se400 More info/specs if you want to nerd out

(new one is just a little more shiny)

https://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.aspx?Item=9SIA66K5TE6844 - New
    https://www.ebay.ca/sch/brother+se400+factory+refurbished , http://www.ebay.ca/itm/Brother-Sewing-Machine-Embroidery-SE425-Factory-Remanufactured/161584594909 - Factory Remanufactured Cough I love ebay.ca Ahem. Or you could buy on Amazon ¯_(ツ)_/¯

1. Brother PE770 $700-$1100
      Overall faster and bigger patches can be made with this machine.

0_1515577237299_PE 770 SEM FUNDO.png

http://www.ebay.ca/itm/Brother-PE770-PE-770-Embroidery-Machine-299-Bonus-Kit-NEW/152411423123 - Not a bad price for new. under $750

Something more? $2000+
    Ability to do hats and larger designs

Costs associated with owning an embroidery machine

• Needles - you can buy huge packs of needles easily. it would be like 30$ for 100 (Not that you would need that many.

• Thread is costing me about $0.50-$2 per patches with fully filled patch. and took me 1 hour and 40 Minutes to make the Makerspace patch with 30,000 stitches

• Servicing, I don’t know how often you need to service these +/- 100$ a year

• brother machines are warrantied for 2 years for the mechanism and electronics and 25 Years for the metal frame, whatever that means.

• Stabilizer less then a dollar per patch (Required) I have some if we cant afford it.

• SOFTWARE If we want this machine to be used often there should be a computer setup for making the design files and the best options for software are Sew-art and embird they seem like the best options. so about $200-$275 We can start using the free version of Sew-art or some freeware that doesn’t have a very polished GUI ;) if we don’t have the funds to buy the software initially.

Making Money From Patches

• Sure is the answer for that people will pay $10-$20 depending on the rarity and uniqueness soo If you find/ make a cool design or draw something up then you can sell it If it’s downloaded check the copyright permissions Please

Where To Give Your Money

0_1515580913230_takemymoney.jpg

Put in the comments how much you would like to put forward… or not. Money should be sent to the Makerspace over E-transfer with a note saying Embroidery Donation .(Ect), dropped in the mail box with a note attached or directly to @Grant-Fraser if you see him.

• Looking at the KM sample patch it measures 3 inches across and takes 30,000 stitches.

Math wise 400 stitches per minute should take an hour and 15 minutes, 650 stitches per minute should take 45 minutes. A dozen patches take 15 hours vs 9 hours 15 min.

• 3D

@Grant-Fraser The machine only will run at full speed on sections bigger then about 1.5x1.5 cm.

The speed on these machines is dynamic

Also the more expensive machine has a embroidery speed controller, the less expensive one does not.

• 3D

@Grant-Fraser also the SE-400 only does 400 stitches per minute.

• @ColeVanD I had originally done the math wrong but still came up with the right answer. I was just trying to give an idea of what the numbers mean. Stitches per minuite isn’t the same as being able to estimate how long a project should take. Trying to make a hundred patches could take all month.

• Hey @ColeVanD if we’re fund raising anyway… Can you price out a decent refurb 4 or 6 needle machine? They look like they would put us well beyond the home gamer feature set. Free arm features would be a heck of an upgrade, and two point hoop attachment looks like the way to go if you’re doing heavy pieces.

This article seems to be a decent overview: https://www.craftsy.com/embroidery/article/single-needle-and-multi-needle-embroidery-machines/

• Free arm for the win!

0_1515629408331_freearm.jpg

I have experimented with my PE-770 a bit since I got it (howd that get stuck there???)

It seems to be tricky to run it stable at full speed, but then again I’m still learning the ins and outs of embroidery, so it is probably my error.

If anyone has any specific questions about it I have the machine beside me, so just ask and @ me please!!

derp

• 3D

https://vancouver.craigslist.ca/pml/for/d/embroidery-machines/6430305009.html

Do not contact.

this may be a machine that we are looking at.

• Classroom

@ColeVanD, I like the heavier commercial idea. That thing is a beast, and a lot of work would have to go into the craftorium to get it there.

If people commit to getting it sorted, and we get a solid plan in place, I’m in full support. This looks awesome. Serious though. A well documented training regime would be essential to success.

• 3D

@kile I would love to teach people how to use embird and embroider all sorts of stuff on a larger or smaller machine.

• There are Chinese machines available that might be worth a look? Anyways, Scorpion will throw in $100.

BrianB

0_1515909273359_26805056_1032911650182575_254844437096795886_n.jpg
    (It’s got smhoo on it because I need to protect it from french winters)

I still have a lot of learn about the embroidery software, but here is something I drew from scratch as an illustration in my sketchbook, which I then took and digitized it into a vector using Illustrator and finally sending it to the embroidery machine to do it’s work.

My biggest issues right now with the Brother PE-770 are dealing with transfer threads (but I’m sure I can optimize it in the software) and the second issue is that I can’t run at full speed yet because it is prone for more failures. I run at 350 stitches per min right now, It can go up to 650. I believe the problem is the cheap poly thread I have.

Anyways… just an example of the work for the the brother pe-770 unit.

edit: Also worth mentioning that bobbin tension seems to be a minor issue. (white bobbin thread popping out to surface)

• 3D