What are our values?

• What are our values?

During our discussion of governance, I stressed the importance of values. Our values are our guiding principals. If our constitution, bylaws, and policies do not meet our values they will not be effective in furthering our goals as a group. Due to the importance of this, we must ensure our values represent our group broadly.

The culture of a workplace - an organization’s values, norms, and practices - has a huge impact on our happiness and success.
    -Adam Grant

I will list the values that we came up with as a group and endeavor to define them. I would appreciate everyone’s input in these as they are a tool to gauge future decision making in the space. I would like to add the values worked on in the Plan Genie process @vaughn

Our values

The power or right to act, speak or think as one wants without hindrance or restraint.

As it pertains to the space I believe this refers to the organic and fun-loving nature of the makerspace. The growth and development of the space without burden. I believe this is of utmost importance to recognize as we develop policy.

To use, occupy, or enjoy jointly with another or others.

This includes the sharing of space, resources, and ideas

The condition of being protected from or unlikely to cause danger, risk, or injury.

This is paramount, both in the physical sense as the nature of what we do necessitates we value the prevention of injury; safety also refers to the mental and emotional well-being of our membership.

Interested in helping the wider community; socially concerned.

Comunity Outreach was listed. I would propose community -mindedness as outreach is an action not so much a value. I would postulate that the value of helping the Kamloops area and the citizens within, is core to why we do outreach. If we were not community-minded we would not seek to share our organization with our community.

Attempt to repair or improve something in a casual way.

Wow, most dictionary definitions are surprisingly harsh to this word. I believe that our definition of a tinkering refers to a more methodical but free exploration of creating. I think Making as ambiguous as the term is more accurate to our use.

The action or process of producing or making something. Something that causes someone to become better or more successful.

Being that it is in our name It probably should be a value of ours. I think this is how many of us use the word tinkering.

To develop the faculties and powers of a person by teaching.

We not only educate others through mentoring of workshops but ourselves through our exploration of the world around us.

The quality of including many different types of people and treating them all fairly and equally. / The quality of being fair and impartial.

Paramount to ensuring our value of safety we should ensure all members have equal footing with their peers. this is regardless of position or any inclination.

Social Interaction

The way people talk and act with each other and various structures in society.

Kamloops Makerspace is a social hub. Many great friendships and connections have come out the social interaction in the space.

Fairness and straightforwardness of conduct/The quality of being honest and having strong moral principles; moral uprightness

Paramount to ensuring the well-being of our membership and the ability to run an effective organization, is trust and goodwill.

Visibility or accessibility of information especially concerning business practices.

information within the makerspace, its dealings, policies, and procedures should be accessible to the membership. Openness among members should also be encouraged to avoid conflict.

The process of becoming stronger and more confident, especially in controlling one’s life and claiming one’s rights.

One of our goals as a group is to facilitate the growth of our members through access and education.

Capacity and willingness to develop, organize and manage a venture along with any of its risks in order to make change

I added this one as I am a firm believer in the common values of entrepreneurship. The entrepreneurial spirit has always been strong in the creation of the space and the conduct of its members.

I would appreciate as much input in this as possible as I would like to create a values document by the AGM and have it voted on, to be used by the future leadership of the space to influence decisions. This will be a living document to be reviewed yearly and updated as needed.

Thank you all for your input

• Verschlimmbesserung

Might not actually be a value, but … we are not afraid to do this sometimes. Better to break something non-essential while attempting to do something awesome than to be so timid as to never do anything cool. The blue smoke leaderboard exemplifies a willingness to occasionally let the blue smoke out of a 10 cent component, or the red fluid out of our knuckles in the pursuit of knowledge and skills.

• Making

The action or process of producing or making something. Something that causes someone to become better or more successful.

We are all makers. Anything from cooking to having an idea and turning it into a physical object.

• I am sure networking on many levels is a core value for many places like Kamloopsmakerspace.

• @Ron_Ron said:

We are all makers. Anything from cooking to having an idea and turning it into a physical object.

Some people are cooks or woodworkers or electricians… I really think that “Makers” are more multi-disciplinary… People who just “make stuff” whatever stuff they happen to need or want made at the time. More importantly, people who can generalize troubleshooting and design skills from one field to another, without a ton of specific training in the field at hand. The plumber who can go “Pretty sure the red fluid leaking out of that guy’s arm is a bad thing.” and can figure out how to apply pressure to plug the leak. Or the carpenter who can figure out that when the poo does not go down the hole there is probably a blockage to clear… Speaking of which, is anyone interested in a fairly high-level “How to troubleshoot” workshop in Feb some time? No holds barred, anything from plumbing, mechanical, software etc?

• Problem solving and creativity go hand in hand as skills.