Various art-related ideas

• Hey, everyone! I got my key for the Makerspace earlier, and on the walk back to my place, I had quite a few ideas rolling around in my head. Figured the timing was great for a post about them.

1. I’m thinking about starting a consortium of artists here in Kamloops, with the idea being that artists and creative enthusiasts of all backgrounds would met periodically to brainstorm ideas as to how we could use our skills and interests to make Kamloops a better place for everyone. I know there’s a big artist collective here, and the Makerspace fulfills a bit of the consortium idea at least to an extent; however, the Makerspace seems more like a place where people get together and work on their own projects from what I gather so far. I’m envisioning something on a grander, more holistic scale, like perhaps a big charity event once in a while, involving collaboration with a wide array of non-profits and causes in the area.

I’m actually pretty new to Kamloops, having moved here from th US in mid-October of last year, so I’m still in the process of getting settled and figuring out what goes on here and how things are different from the US. Corrections and directions from people here are encouraged and most welcome!

1. I have a business idea, since self-employment is a more effective approach for me; it revolves around art in all its forms, both traditional and digital, which is a big reason I find the Makerspace to be a godsend. It also focuses on building bridges with people of all disciplines and backgrounds, and collaboration en masse. My mission is to use art as a universal language of sorts as a means to convey important messages for humanity, like walking together as one collective whole, answering negative circumstances with positive and productive responses, pooling our individual differences together instead of needless quarreling or simply “putting them aside,” and so on. I plan to be involved in lots of volunteer work with many different non-profits over a wide array of causes and disciplines, partly out of passion and partly because this involvement will help me to figure out how to creatively adapt to each circumstances and cause most effectively. I have an interest in literally every art form and will take a holistic approach to skill-building; this way, I can build my skillsets as one whole through integration and inter-disciplinary methods. The magnitude of this endeavor mandates this kind of collaboration, and quite frankly I love the idea of such a steep challenge.

Since the Makerspace seems to be a great hub for people of all backgrounds and disciplines, it’s a great place to start making connections like this–not to mention the concept of “building bridges” fits quite nicely with the Makerspace’s values, albeit in a more abstract sense.

1. As a follow-up of sorts to #2, part of all the creative endeavors is game development. I’m a gamer, myself, but as much as I enjoy video games, I’ve found them to be a substantial fount of inspiration. I’d like to get into game development as well, and make it part of my mission and vision. The only thing is, I’ve asked around about this and it seems that there’s not much of a game dev scene here in Kamloops. So, I’m curious about how much of an interest there is in starting a game dev gathering/meetup (and I plan to ask around at TRU as well as the Built in Kamloops Slack channel). Since it doesn’t seem to be much of a thing here from what I can tell, I feel that it’s best to start with groups for each aspect of game development. Like, for example, one group for music composition/DAWs, one for coding and scripting, one for concept art and storyboards, one for writing and plot development, and so on (and I do know these things are handled differently for gaming compared to other media). As game development involves many different art forms, addressing each element would not only make the whole endeavor less intimidating for many, but would also be a way for each individual group to get exposure to what the other groups are doing through collaboration. This way, everyone in each group could decide what they want to do with these art forms for the sake of their own paths. It would also be the best way for me to get the exposure I need, as well.

Aside from my own ideas, I like the idea of hopping aboard projects others might be doing, if they’re open to it. I’m self-taught in everything I do because of my life experience (a very long story), but as far as art goes, I’m currently self-taught in traditional drawing, photography, and writing. I’d love to branch out even more!

It is by descending into the pits of one’s personal hells to conquer them and make them part of one’s strength that one realizes what is called “true power.”

• You have a wonderful amount of enthusiasm. We do collaborate on things at the space. You may find people willing to join with an effort or help you figure out how to do something.

• Your response makes me wonder how I might rub my enthusiasm off on others, haha. I’ll go down tomorrow and see what happens!

It is by descending into the pits of one’s personal hells to conquer them and make them part of one’s strength that one realizes what is called “true power.”

• That sounds like a very interesting idea.

I have experience in writing iPhone code, and I have (some) experience in writing fiction. I’m also (in my opinion) a talented photographer.

Perhaps I can help out in some way?

Darren

• That’d be great, yeah! I’m currently on hold with the CRA (tax inquiry stuff and all that), but I plan to be at the Makerspace later today, once all this stuff is taken care of. It’s been a whirlwind of goings-on since I arrived!

• All right, here’s an update about the game development idea.

I ran the idea by someone I know from the Kamloops Innovation Centre via the Slack group (Built in Kamloops), and he suggested that a meetup group focused on a game engine, like Unreal4, would be a good start. The Makerspace seems like a good platform for this, but we do need to take into account hardware/software costs. I can draft an outline for the idea with supporting diagrams for how we might implement and expand the meetup, and we could brainstorm ideas for fundraising for hardware and software as needed.

@Vaughn , you messaged me and said you’d like to talk about my idea, so maybe we could do that tomorrow? Also, if anyone else wants to jump in on this, I can put together a list of people involved and their roles/skills. What’s more, @Janet mentioned All Aboard Games as a place for me to talk about this and make connections, and the guy I was talking to on Slack mentioned it being the communal gathering place for gamers. It sounds like tabletop gaming is the big thing there, but it may be possible to expand a bit (thanks for that pointer, Janet–it’s quite helpful). I plan to head down there tomorrow and see what comes of talks. I also plan to reach out to reach out to organizer of the community gaming meetup I’ve been going to, as well as the game club at TRU, to do a bit of recon as far as the interest goes.

If anyone else has ideas, please feel free to reply here!

Oh, and I plan to take up the violin soon and teach myself, probably starting with a rental from Long and McQuade. Any other musicians here? It’d be awesome to get together!

UPDATE: I just ran this idea by a buddy of mine who lives in Vancouver. he’s a novice game dev himself, and is also into DAWs and digital music production. He’d love to be on board if we can get this going.

• Putting this on hiatus for now. I’m dealing with some pretty serious personal stuff, so I’ll post when things are better.

• It was nice chatting with you the other day. Welcome to Kamloops - I don’t think it will take long for you to find collaborators in your areas of interest, between Makerspace folks, other groups, and individuals. It’s a very creative community!

• Thanks, Janet. I’m currently in brainstorming mode as far as getting started goes; since I’m currently looking for housing (and may have secured something quite nice, though I’ll know for sure tomorrow), I’ll just keep brainstorming until that more important issue is taken care of.

I’ve been in contact with the folks at the Kamloops Innovation Centre about the game development thing, too. I think things will work out!