Video Game Development Meetups at Makerspace

• I guess this could be considered a “project,” per se.

Things have settled on my end, so I’d like to get the game dev thing going. I’ve already reached out to the Built in Kamloops Slack group (anyone here a member there?), since they’ve offered to support it. As far as a venue goes, I feel that the Makerspace would be the best; the KIC will likely be able to help with the more technological side of things. I’m not sure what people’s schedules look like, but right now I’m thinking a Saturday meetup group would work well considering there may be students at TRU pursuing game development or at least a certain aspect. What I’m thinking is having the meetup focus on a particular game engine and building the activities and other elements around that; as of now, I’m thinking about Unreal4 or Unity, or perhaps something smaller, like GameMaker Studio or RPG Maker. If there’s enough interest and the group gets big enough, multiple game engines could be involved eventually.

I plan to come to the H4CK Night tomorrow, so maybe we could finally talk about this, @Vaughn .

If anyone has any ideas to add, please reply with them . This would be the first time I’ve tried putting together a meetup or anything of the sort, so all pointers, suggestions, and advice are welcome. At this point, I’m looking to assess the interest in game development in Kamloops, then figure out next steps.

It is by descending into the pits of one’s personal hells to conquer them and make them part of one’s strength that one realizes what is called “true power.”

• Design Lab

Yep Ill be at there 6-9 pm for open house ‘’//,.>>

• Update incoming!!

I’ve started moving the wheels on the game development meetup, so here’s the info:

Main meetings will be held in the 3F classroom at Makerspace. These are where we generate ideas for game development projects, come together for progress reports and updates, and so on. For the first meeting, we’ll discuss which game engine and genre we wish to build our project on, and establish smaller groups to tackle the various aspect of the project (concept art, writing, plot development, marketing, QA, and other things as needed). These smaller groups can operate and collaborate outside of the main meeting at places of each party’s choosing (and don’t forget online correspondence is an option as well).

My hand’s in the way in this photo, but the whiteboard is in the classroom for anyone who wants to take a closer look. I’m open to all ideas, suggestions, and advice as always! I’m thinking next Wednesday would be a good starting point, with an hour-long slot from 7-8pm (an attempt to be reasonable). We can make adjustments as needed during that time.

If next Wednesday is too early or otherwise doesn’t work for a lot of people, let me know and put your own suggestions on the table!

Thanks again for your help, Vaughn!

0_1517461538107_20180131_201610_resized.jpg

It is by descending into the pits of one’s personal hells to conquer them and make them part of one’s strength that one realizes what is called “true power.”

• More updates~

I’ve reached out to a couple of TRU student clubs, the dean of the Faculty of Arts, and TRU’s intellectual property office; I’ve also gone to the Arts Council and just now sent a link to this thread to the admin, and will be contacting a few companies around Kamloops that might possibly be interested in networking. There’s Exit Escape, Mastermind Studios, and Joy Factory Films.

Because of how I decided to break up this meetup into the various aspects of video game development, companies that aren’t focused on making video games may be able to instead focus to one of more elements on the process that pertain to their own mission and agenda (i.e. IP/Copyright, art/concept design, etc.) We’ll see how it goes, though.

Either way, I’m having a blast doing all this homework, haha.

Also, while this meetup is specifically about developing video games, I got some interesting feedback from the manager at All Aboard Games and honestly wouldn’t mind adding board and tabletop game development to this group if there’s an interest. I do like the idea of hosting a D&D session and similar get-togethers, but I also feel that there are things about tabletop games that can be applied to video games and vice versa. I’d like to see what kinds of parallels and connections can be drawn.

• Been doing some research about game development, workflow, teams, and the like. Honestly, I feel like this may actually go BETTER than I was expecting! I love the idea of being in charge of a big project and the responsibility that comes with the position, so this would be a great first endeavour!

• @Psykan I’m looking forward to seeing how I may be able to help out…

• Awesome first meetup! I think this is definitely going to take off–let’s keep the enthusiasm going! :D