Make STEAM!

• Classroom

Program announcement

Okay, it is official, the first $9k from BIG Little Science Centre (BLSC) / National Sciences and Engineering Research Council (NSERC) is in the bank! If we can deliver on the MOU we have signed, there will be another $10k in monthly instalments over the rest of the year, and the potential to increase the total by an order of magnitude in the near future (possibly more).

The name Make STEAM! is what is on our BCLC Community Gaming Grant application (total ask $73,750.00), I will have a full copy of the application for review at the meeting, and it will get entered into the minutes as an appendix and posted on the forum.

What in means, in brief

We have to have one guided activity to promote some STEAM something (with a tangential STEM highlight for the arts). The good new is we have money to do this with, the bad news is, we have to be organized enough to report on how we spent the money. These will be our two key deliverables for the program:

1. Weekly guided activities at h4ck night
    2. Reporting on h4ck nights, and other outreach events

Please start using this form

Any time you volunteer, attend an event, or do anything related to the space that could help anyone anywhere engage with STEAM, and want to call it a personal contribution to the program, please use THIS FORM!

For comments on the form please contact me.

Program description, in brief

In short, Make STEAM! is defined as the outreach activities we already do (i.e. host hack nights, and host or attend other public events). All we are really committing to here, is to keep doing that. In order to prove the money has helped us to this end, it will be essential to TRACK AND REPORT on how many people we reach.

The monies from BLSC/NSERC is attached to improving our hands-on guided activities at h4ck nights, our road show/kit shop, and getting the Makerbus on the road and attending events. The monies from BCLC/Community Gaming is attached to improving our capacity to deliver services for our members, and the general public at hack night (plus a couple other pots for subsidizing membership dues for those in need, training volunteers, etc.). The main point here being, while the funds are supporting the same program, we are not double dipping on any items. Detailed budgets, and approval procedures are required to ensure compliance here. For more details on this aspect, please attend the meeting on Tuesday, or see the minutes once posted.

For more info

If you want more details on what hoops we need to jump through to spend it (both internal and external), please come to the members meeting on Tuesday, we will make brief mention of it during the meeting, and have plenty of time for discussion/questions following the meeting.

Define STEAM for me again?

• Science Technology Engineering Art and Math

• You hear about STEM a lot. Outs the same thing but missing the art component. It’s the art that makes it fun. For the grumpy people you could say that art is the difference between a $20 toaster and a $100 toaster.