Does anyone speak "computer"?

• Hi Makers,

I’m trying to help a local non-profit outfit a new office via BC Auction, and I came across a lot of computers. Can anyone translate the below for me? I would like to know if the computers will suffice for standard office work (no gaming or heavy data-crunching) and whether we will need to spend a pile of money on Windows. Also wtf no hard drive? I understand we would need to buy monitors… wondering what else?

Thanks in advance!

Kristen

Auction Details:
    Intel Core i5-3470 CPU @ 3.20GHz
    Memory: 4GB
    Intel Q77 Express Chipset
    Intel HD 2500 Graphics
    Realtek High Definition Audio
    Intel 82579LM Gigabit Ethernet
    DVD-RW Drives
    8 USB Ports
    #3209-E4U
    Hard drives are NOT installed
    Window’s 7 Pro COA’s are present but operating system is NOT installed
    Computers power on, initiate and enter BIOS. However, overall conditions are unknown
    Monitor is NOT included

• @Kristen
    Here is another option…
    Auction Details:
    Intel Core 2 Duo CPU E8400 @ 3.00GHz
    Memory: 24 x 4GB - 3 x 2GB
    Intel Q45 Express Chipset
    ATI Radeon HD Graphics
    High Definition Audio
    Intel 82579LM Gigabit Ethernet
    DVD-RW Drives
    8 USB Ports
    eSata Port
    #7220-B3U
    Hard Drives are NOT installed
    Window’s 7 Pro COA’s are present but operating system is NOT installed
    Computers power on, initiate and enter BIOS. However, overall conditions are unknown
    Monitor is NOT included

• #3209-E4U
    With i5 is the better one.
    You need a hard drive for it. You might not need to buy windows because it has a windows sticker on it.
    Most people or companies will keep or destroy the hard drives to keep data private.

• @Ron_Ron Thanks ! Are hard drives expensive?

• @Kristen The hard drives were likely destroyed for security reasons. The time and the hassle of performing a “secure wipe” are way beyond the value of what’s likely a 3+ year old hard drive. A boring 1TB hard drive will do for general office work on these machines, and will cost about $60. Having said that, the single biggest performance improvement that an older computer can get is to install a solid state drive, for those you’re probably looking at $125 for 500GB… so double the price and half the space, but much better overall performance on the PC.

Have you seen www.techsoup.ca and nonprofit.microsoft.com? Free & cheap software available.