I have a project I could use some help with

• I hope this isn’t breaking any rules but I’m looking for someone who might be interested in a joint project. I am looking for someone who is familiar with the Arduino and possible RasberryPi to assist me in building a prototype. For now this is simply a personal project but I can see it having some commercial value which is why I’m not sure this is the right place for me to be asking for assistance. In a nutshell I would like to build a camera system on a gimbal that can be controlled via a sattelite uplink and or WiFi and could be used to take and send images from a remote location. The actual gimbal and housing I can build in my shop but I need assistance with the microcontroller integration.

If this is not the right format for this please feel free to delete the post, otherwise I am looking forward to speaking to anyone who might be interested.

Cheers
    Shawn

• Linux

Hi Shawn,

My daughter and I have been playing with a similar project over the fall …

We have a raspberry pi controlled camera mounted on a pan/tilt arm using two servos that takes pictures and uploads them via wifi to the internet … the pictures can be viewed and the camera can be controlled from a web browser.

For a camera we have used a raspberry-pi camera and the camera in a typical cell phone that is then controlled from the raspberry pi.

We have not done any work on running off of a battery (for a remote location) or protection from the weather.

I am hoping to get our project setup permanently at our house so that we can have an internet-of-things camera that will be viewed/controlled from the internet. If power is not a huge issue I would suggest using a raspberry pi because there are a lot of image processing options that are then available.

I am guessing there are other solutions out there for this as well.

Not sure when we will work on this again, but I would like to have our camera setup before the new year … will post details if we get to that point.

Chris

• I hope this isn’t breaking any rules …

@Bishop Not only you are not breaking any rules, you are setting a great example for how this forum should be used, so thanks! :)

I would like to build a camera system on a gimbal that can be controlled via a sattelite uplink and or WiFi and could be used to take and send images from a remote location

Sounds great. Can you bring what you have so far to our next hack night at TRU? It is happening this coming Wednesday (Dec 3rd) from 6 to 8pm. I will bring my arduino and some servo controllers. I’d love to help you with it, I am sure we can make some progress on it.

Not sure when we will work on this again, but I would like to have our camera setup before the new year … will post details if we get to that point.

@Chris I look forward to seeing that post :)

side note: I hope to have a draft of community guidelines up soon, but I ensure you that will never take any credit from community member inventions, and you are free to talk about whatever your heart desire here (as long as it is respectful to other of course). We also never will ask members to sign an NDA