July 29 Meeting - Agenda and Minutes
July 29 at 6pm
- Board: Aras, Dave, Nicholas, Bradley
- Keyholders: Pierre
- Members: Max, J, Ashley
- General: Adam, Sydney, Taylor, Sarah, Jennifer, Tim, Brayden
- Secretary: Courtenay
1600 or 1150 quotes for insurance - separate from board insurance. 2 mil liability, personal injury, etc
For a year, a good deal.
Aras wants to go ahead with insurance. Nicholas wants to see policy first.
sharps container is here and useable. don’t touch if you aren’t trained/comfortable.
Update on jim’s stuff - needs to be to courtenay to get to calgary
Jennifer agrees to take responsibility for uninvited stairway resident.
Delegate to committee?
Bradley’s long post:
Brayden, Jennifer and Brad met to discuss business planning
Do we give the unofficial planning committee the go-ahead to continue this work?
- bumped to under committee discussion
Can we please formalize the existence of this committee? There are 3 passionate individuals already meeting and doing this work.
Where shall we post this work in progress BP?
How ‘open/public’ should this be?
Can the unofficial planning committee go ahead and start organizing for the ‘tour-guides’, and potentially these small hack-night workshops?
- tour guides for new people specifically - allows for market research
can we please get approval to start collecting market research outside of the meetings during hack night, and in any formal communications with potential members (ie: waivers, membership contracts, on the website)?
- Yes. approved.
Please review the form letter to potential partners for approval.
- Discovered venture kamloops contacts may not always be ideal
- letter is a prototype
- letter for raising awareness, requesting donations, etc.
We would like Board approval to start looking into this CCC model, with KM as the ‘nucleus’, sprouting off contributing businesses as a progressive form of business incubation. Is this something that we support generally as an organization?
Jennifer wants to set up as a CCC with KM
60% of profits have to be funneled to non-profit
if bread business is launched as CCC, any kind of sales needs to be within non-profit, and has potential to get more funding ?
any business idea that comes out of here, the production facility can be elsewhere, and can be as a CCC so profits can come back to us.
Nicholas doesn’t want to to be mandatory for businesses that come out of KM
Try it with the soap project and see how it goes – as a model
Grants are sometimes specific to a product, so grant can come in to begin the CCC, “new soap product”, then gets it rolling until it stands on its own.
Brayden will be taking a course on this so will have more info in the fall
We would be the designated benefactor of CCCs that come out of us, according to our business plan
use ccc’s on business plan? yes no? — Approved
Discussion re: meeting agenda 72 vs 24 hours
- 72 hrs for proposed items, 24 hrs for final agenda posted - motion by nicholas
Aras proposes frequency of meetings once a month - have committees have smaller meetings more often
We can approve motions via the forum, as long as 60% of members post approval.
- concerns about technology not being clear
Motion: every 2 weeks for now, working toward every month - reassess each meeting
Next meeting: Aug 12
Need to present at each meeting
- Planning Committee
- Haunted House Committee
- Security Committee
Committee member minimum?
- 3 members Motion from Nicholas, seconded by bradley
Powers of committee:
- do things at their own discretion to get things done
- not approving new policies without board approval
Things they cannot do:
- can’t spend over their assigned budget
- altering building (reorganizing space)
- publicity/advertising (maintains values of organization)
- contracts (big grants etc)
Motion: bradley - approve things they cannot do.
Ammended to remove publicity from that list. - Aras
Further discussion to happen on the forum - Courtenay
- 5 with maybes for Standard first aid
Find volunteers for red cross to teach for cheaper
Nicholas will take over first aid, get it in here before middle of october
Sept 27 dog event
- night before for set up, whole day, morning after
- Approved to seek logistical info
- spousal/family memberships: Keyholder, with each of spouse and kids go half of dropin
motion - nicholas: approved
- junior membership:
motion - age cut off? kids are free?
must be accompanied
- Kids under 15 are free ?
Look into funding for families to get them in for cheap and get us money
- Motion: Guardian with membership - kids under 15 are free as long as they’ve signed a waiver and are accompanied by their guardian
With underage waiver written by nicholas
- Pierre doesnt want 100 kids. he’s ok.
Aras about community stuff:
- lots of confusion about how we structure the place, so just revisiting it:
- Do-Ocracy – Assign yourself a task and do it! No hierarchy.
- board members don’t have more power, just more responsibility.
- Liability and monetary are controlled by board, everything else is open to member input/being done
- Tell people about what you’re doing, but just DO IT.
- Commitee concerns? - committee doesnt have more powers than individual members either
- Committee working on something, post it on the forum
- If you’re doing something, post it on the forum so people can collaborate with you.
- We don’t need rules to make this happen.
- Bradley has concerns about insurance etc
Motion: from aras - do not stop people when they’re doing work
Motion from nicholas - committee to get into compliance with the city - Planning committee could add this onto their general tasks
Alterations to the building without approval from the board
J - distinction between projects that are related directly to KM vs personal projects happening in the space
Ammendment: do not stop people when they’re doing work on personal projects
Counter motion: come up with an official policy about insurance and liability and zoning - develop clarity around who knows what.
- Planning committee will do that too
Motion: Allow people to do space projects - propose them on the forum and work on the building
Post on the forum - give 48 hours or until majority of directors say yes -
Space projects and work on the building need to be proposed as motions on the forum