Agenda and Notes, August 12th Board meeting


  • Founder

    Items from the Business Planning Committee (BPC):

    • Nicholas has suggested going ahead with the Fire Escape enclosure
      • Seems like a win-win-win all around, it will make the police, the mission, the landlord, and KM happy to have this dealt with
      • It should be easy to apply and pay for a permit after the fact if it is necessary.
      • We would also like to go ahead and work towards putting at least one ashtray and garbage can outside the space. People are smoking, loitering and littering around the space anyways, we might as well give them the tools to do these things responsibly and with as little impact as possible.
    • Nicholas would like to have a meeting with Natrisha about any compliance issues before we formalize an approach with the city.

      • this becomes the first step in forming a delegation
      • Brad, Nicholas and Aras still need to meet to formalize what we are asking the city for, and what we are offering the community.
    • Hack Night Coordinator

      • BPC feels that Hack night is our premier opportunity to interact with our community, these are the people who have ‘bought in’ either with time spent in the space, or money spent on a membership, and we need to interact with them, find out what they need, what they expect, and why they are here, what they have to offer. And we need to record this info.
      • We suggest that we instate a //Hacknight coordinator// who can organize hack night.
        • This person would be in charge of coordinating, not necessarily ‘doing’ all of the activities during hacknight; workshop booking, planning and coordination, information gathering, providing for touring the space, greeting new makers, etc, and creating systems or other volunteer positions to deal with these tasks.
        • Communicating with the Social Media coordinator to promote Hacknight online.
    • Jennifer’s office space

      • Jennifer would benefit from an office space in the building so that she can lay out her research into the CCC, white boards, etc to stay organized.
      • BPC would like to find a way to get her some office space to encourage her to come to the space and do some research into the CCC and other revenue generating or other business operations.
      • this may need to be coordinated through Natrisha? Nicholas?
      • It gets a valuable person, and paying member into the space ‘Making’ in her own way
    • It sounds like the Dog Event is a go ahead

    Items from the Social Media Coordinator

    • General apology for being distant
    • Request for any ‘stories’ for me to post
      • a hacknight coordinator and more structure underlaying hacknights would make it much easier to promote it online
      • if anybody is making something, or involved in something around the space that they are comfortable having posted to social, please let me know so I can get it online and enliven the online space
      • Even simple things like photos of things going on at the space, please send them

  • Linux

    Kamloops Makerspace Board Meeting

    Come to decisions on agenda items

    Agenda Items

    1.0 Welcome

    • Attendance
    • Approve Agenda

    Duration: 10 minutes

    Motion

    Approve Agenda

    2.0 Business Planning Committee contributions

    2.1 Managing outdoor visitors

    • Nicholas has suggested going ahead with the Fire Escape enclosure
      • Seems like a win-win-win all around, it will make the police, the mission, the landlord, and KM happy to have this dealt with
      • It should be easy to apply and pay for a permit after the fact if it is necessary.
    • We would also like to go ahead and work towards putting at least one ashtray and garbage can outside the space. People are smoking, loitering and littering around the space anyways, we might as well give them the tools to do these things responsibly and with as little impact as possible.

    Duration: 10 minutes

    Motion

    Nicholas will go ahead with building enclosure

    Motion

    Ashtray and garbage can will be placed outside

    • Who will empty them? How often?

    2.2 Office Space

    • Jennifer’s office space

      • Jennifer would benefit from an office space in the building so that she can lay out her research into the CCC, white boards, etc to stay organized.
      • BPC would like to find a way to get her some office space to encourage her to come to the space and do some research into the CCC and other revenue generating or other business operations.
      • this may need to be coordinated through Natrisha? Nicholas?
      • It gets a valuable person, and paying member into the space ‘Making’ in her own way

    Duration: 10 minutes

    Motion

    A room in the building will be designated as Jennifer’s office space

    2.3 meet with landlord

    Nicholas would like to have a meeting with Natrisha about any compliance issues before we formalize an approach with the city.

      • this becomes the first step in forming a delegation * Brad, Nicholas and Aras still need to meet to formalize what we are asking the city for, and what we are offering the community.

    Duration: 5 minutes

    Motion

    Nicholas will meet with Natricia one on one about city permits and compliance

    2.4 Hack night coordination

    • Hack Night Coordinator

      • BPC feels that Hack night is our premier opportunity to interact with our community, these are the people who have ‘bought in’ either with time spent in the space, or money spent on a membership, and we need to interact with them, find out what they need, what they expect, and why they are here, what they have to offer. And we need to record this info.
      • We suggest that we instate a //Hacknight coordinator// who can organize hack night.
        • This person would be in charge of coordinating, not necessarily ‘doing’ all of the activities during hacknight; workshop booking, planning and coordination, information gathering, providing for touring the space, greeting new makers, etc, and creating systems or other volunteer positions to deal with these tasks.
        • Communicating with the Social Media coordinator to promote Hacknight online.

    Duration: 10 minutes

    Motion

    A Hack Night Coordinator will be assigned to each hack night.

    • Who will this be? Will it rotate? Sign up list?

    3.0 Social Media Coordinator update

    • General apology for being distant

    • Request for any ‘stories’ for me to post

      • a hacknight coordinator and more structure underlaying hacknights would make it much easier to promote it online
      • if anybody is making something, or involved in something around the space that they are comfortable having posted to social, please let me know so I can get it online and enliven the online space
      • Even simple things like photos of things going on at the space, please send them

    Presenter: Brad Allan

    Duration: 10 minutes

    4.0 Dog Event

    Natrisha has given the go ahead!!

    Next steps:

    • Convince neighbours (Riversyde Motors and Integra Tire) to allow use of their parking lot for the day
      • The attendees will need to be parked nearby, so parking at Sticky’s isn’t an option. We’ll also need some “volunteer vehicles” parked in our usual parking area, for the dogs to search. If I’ve used your vehicle for a search before, it cannot be used (Nicholas, for sure).
      • New Life Mission’s lot would also be an option, but I’m pursuing the other side first.
    • Collect volunteers to assist in “safetying-up” the site before the event
      • Nicholas agreed to assist with advising on this
      • I can bring some volunteers in from “dog stuff”, but having a few makerspace people will help be sure things don’t get lost/mistreated by those who aren’t aware of what they are!
    • Market/advertise
      • As soon as parking is confirmed, I’ll start on this!
    • Lunch served by makerspace - is there interest in this?
      • The people need to eat! It would benefit us if the makerspace had a couple volunteers interested in serving lunch (simple is fine!) in exchange for donations. This also could be a great chance to market the makerspace to the attendees.
    • Sponsors
      • I’d like to seek out local business sponsors for this event, either to put items in a “grab bag” (like the fancy pens from FastCut), or have their logo part of a Tshirt or similar.
    • Other ideas welcome!

    Presenter: Courtenay Watson

    Duration: 10 minutes

    5.0 Paste unsorted items here

    6.0 Wrapping up

    Review of action items (this is dynamically updated during the meeting!)

    Duration: 10 minutes

    Smart List

    Discuss: open action items; created in this meeting room

    Invited to this Meeting

    • Courtenay Watson
    • jenniferdawnadams2014
    • Brayden Wilson
    • Aras Balali Moghaddam
    • Brad Allan
    • David Holley
    • Grant Fraser
    • Lickety Sit Pet Services, 5 Star Dog Training
    • Nicholas Adams
    • Shawn Lund

    Learning and working on learning more!

    1

  • Linux

    So that worked okay. Here’s what I had to do:

    Learning and working on learning more!

    0

  • Founder

    That’s bonkers.


  • Founder

    6pm tonight?


  • Linux

    You can find the complete notes from our meeting here:
    https://meet.lucidmeetings.com/lucid/invite/1615973199462949

    Action items assigned to you at this meeting:
    You were not assigned any action items.

    If you have any questions or feedback about this meeting, please contact
    Courtenay Watson (hdsheena@gmail.com).


    You received this email because Courtenay Watson invited you to this
    meeting.
    If you believe this to be in error, please contact (hdsheena@gmail.com).
    For other questions, please contact support@lucidmeetings.com.

    Meeting Record

    Come to decisions on agenda items

    Meeting Minutes

    1.0 Welcome

    • Attendance
    • Approve Agenda

    Duration: 10 minutes

    Motion

    Approve Agenda

    DISPOSITION: Passed unanimously

    Notes

    Jennifer + kids, Cat, J, Ashley, Brayden, Dave

    2.0 Business Planning = Committee contributions

    2.1 Managing outdoor visitors

    • Nicholas has suggested going ahead with the Fire Escape enclosure
      • Seems like a win-win-win all around, it will make the police, the missi= on, the landlord, and KM happy to have this dealt with
      • It should be easy to apply and pay for a permit after the fact if it is= necessary.
    • We would also like to go ahead and work towards putting at least one as= htray and garbage can outside the space. People are smoking, loitering and = littering around the space anyways, we might as well give them the tools to= do these things responsibly and with as little impact as possible.

    Duration: 10 minutes

    Motion

    Nicholas will go ahead with building enclosure

    DISPOSITION: Passed unanimously

    Motion

    Ashtray and garbage can will be placed outside

    • Who will empty them? How often?

    Spring loaded top to prevent fire

    Nicholas suggests buying a commercial unit - finding one used.

    DISPOSITION: Passed unanimously

    Action Item

    Find a garbage can and ashtray!
    Assigned to: Nicholas Adams
    Du= e date: 08/26/2015

    Action Item

    Chore chart for space
    Assigned to: jenniferdawnadams2014
    Due d= ate: 08/19/2015

    Notes

    Natrisha is good :)

    Look for something used, two cans may be necessary.

    2.2 Office Space

    • Jennifer’s office space

      • Jennifer would benefit from an office space in the building so that she= can lay out her research into the CCC, white boards, etc to stay organized= .
      • BPC would like to find a way to get her some office space to encourage = her to come to the space and do some research into the CCC and other revenu= e generating or other business operations.
      • this may need to be coordinated through Natrisha? Nicholas?
      • It gets a valuable person, and paying member into the space ‘Making’ in= her own way

    Duration: 10 minutes

    Motion

    A room in the building will be designated as Jennifer’s office space

    As soon as we start charging for space, we need to start paying rent

    =C2=A0Therefore we need a plan before making a decision on renting space= .

    =C2=A0Jennifer is not prepared to renumerate at this time. Bringing pape= rwork to file here and use our office may be an option.

    DISPOSITION: Failed

    Motion

    Drawer, filing cabinet, desk, quiet place for meetings?

    Our office will have to do

    =C2=A0

    =C2=A0

    DISPOSITION: Passed

    Action Item

    Figure out renting out office space in general
    Assigned to: Nichola= s Adams

    Action Item

    Work on compromize for office space
    Assigned to: jenniferdawnadams2= 014

    Action Item

    Can we have a meeting space as part of the makerspace for funding partne= rs etc?
    Assigned to: Brad Allan

    Action Item

    Working computer in office space
    Assigned to: Aras Balali Moghaddam=

    Notes

    Funding can transition to various areas in the space. =C2=A0A computer r= oom and office space would be ideal for helping with this.

    Existing office for running of makerspace can be used

    Jennifer is looking for office space to create a CCC specifically, but t= he funding/connection will come back to makerspace

    Once our 6 months is up, are we going to try to continue rent free, or p= ay rent?

    =C2=A0

    2.3 meet with landlord

    Nicholas would like to have a meeting with Natrisha about any compliance= issues before we formalize an approach with the city.

      • this becomes the first step in forming a delegation * Brad, Nicholas= and Aras still need to meet to formalize what we are asking the city for, = and what we are offering the community.

    Duration: 5 minutes

    Motion

    Nicholas will meet with Natricia one on one about city permits and compl= iance

    DISPOSITION: Passed unanimously

    Action Item

    Fire Extinguishers from check point
    Assigned to: Nicholas Adams
    Due date: 08/19/2015

    Notes

    Nicholas ran into her in a parking lot. She is of the position that we c= ome into compliance with the city as requested, she will cover cost of fire= extinguishers and inspection.

    =C2=A0

    Natrisha is pretty comfortable dealing with the city.

    =C2=A0

    Ran into in the “encountered” rather than “collision”= ; sense, I gather. - Pierre

    Unlikely - Courtenay

    2.4 Hack night coordination

    • Hack Night Coordinator

      • BPC feels that Hack night is our premier opportunity to interact with o= ur community, these are the people who have ‘bought in’ either with time sp= ent in the space, or money spent on a membership, and we need to interact w= ith them, find out what they need, what they expect, and why they are here,= what they have to offer. And we need to record this info.
      • We suggest that we instate a=C2=A0//Hacknight=C2=A0coordinator// who ca= n organize hack night.
        • This person would be in charge of coordinating, not necessarily ‘doing’= all of the activities during hacknight; workshop booking, planning and coo= rdination, information gathering, providing for touring the space, greeting= new makers, etc, and creating systems or other volunteer positions to deal= with these tasks.
        • Communicating with the Social Media coordinator to promote Hacknight on= line.

    Duration: 10 minutes

    Motion

    A Hack Night Coordinator will be assigned to each hack night.

    • Who will this be? Will it rotate? Sign up list?
    • If they cannot attend, they are responsible for finding a replacement.<= /li>

    Objection =C2=A0- our good volunteers are wanting to be part of the meet= ing.

    Push meetings to a different night.

    =C2=A0

    Dave will be a coordinator. Surveys are here.

    DISPOSITION: Passed

    Motion

    Have meetings separate from Hack Nights.

    DISPOSITION: Passed unanimously

    Action Item

    Make surveys digital
    Assigned to: Brad Allan

    Action Item

    Smart board for to-dos and survey responses.
    Assigned to: Nicholas = Adams

    Notes

    3.0 Social Media Coordinator upd= ate

    • General apology for being distant

    • Request for any ‘stories’ for me to post

      • a hacknight coordinator and more structure underlaying hacknights would= make it much easier to promote it online
      • if anybody is making something, or involved in something around the spa= ce that they are comfortable having posted to social, please let me know so= I can get it online and enliven the online space
      • Even simple things like photos of things going on at the space, please = send them

    Presenter: Brad Allan

    Duration: 10 minutes

    Action Item

    Android phone as camera for space?
    Assigned to: Courtenay Watson

    Action Item

    Sticker for “DO NOT HACK”
    Assigned to: David Holley

    Notes

    Android phone to sync to a google photos account?

    4.0 Dog Event

    Natrisha has given the go ahead!!

    Next steps:

    • Convince neighbours (Riversyde Motors and Integra Tire) to allow use of= their parking lot for the day
      • The attendees will need to be parked nearby, so parking at Sticky’s isn= 't an option. We’ll also need some “volunteer vehicles” parked in= our usual parking area, for the dogs to search. If I’ve used your vehicle = for a search before, it cannot be used (Nicholas, for sure).
      • New Life Mission’s lot would also be an option, but I’m pursuing the ot= her side first.
    • Collect volunteers to assist in “safetying-up” the site befor= e the event
      • Nicholas agreed to assist with advising on this
      • I can bring some volunteers in from “dog stuff”, but having a= few makerspace people will help be sure things don’t get lost/mistreated b= y those who aren’t aware of what they are!
    • Market/advertise
      • As soon as parking is confirmed, I’ll start on this!
    • Lunch served by makerspace - is there interest in this?
      • The people need to eat! It would benefit us if the makerspace had a cou= ple volunteers interested in serving lunch (simple is fine!) in exchange fo= r donations. This also could be a great chance to market the makerspace to = the attendees.
    • Sponsors
      • I’d like to seek out local business sponsors for this event, either to = put items in a “grab bag” (like the fancy pens from FastCut), or = have their logo part of a Tshirt or similar.
    • Other ideas welcome!

    Presenter: Courtenay Watson

    Duration: 10 minutes

    Action Item

    Mike might do lunch
    Assigned to: Courtenay Watson

    Action Item

    Book space as occupied

    Notes

    Talk to new life about using our side of their lot.

    5.0 Paste unsorted items here

    6.0 Wrapping up

    Review of action items (this is dynamically updated during the meeting!)=

    Duration: 10 minutes

    Smart List

    Discussed: open action items; created in this meeting r= oom

    Meeting Attendance

    In Attendance

    • Courtenay Watson
    • Pierre Coueffin
    • Aras Balali Moghaddam
    • Brad Allan
    • Grant Fraser
    • Nicholas Adams

    Regrets

    • jenniferdawnadams2014
    • Brayden Wilson
    • David Holley
    • Lickety Sit Pet Services, 5 Star Dog Training
    • Shawn Lund

    Learning and working on learning more!

    0

Log in to reply