Board meeting - Tuesday October 20th @5:30pm

• I just realized our plan for board meeting today conflicts with the hunted house meeting at TRU. I also see that we have no pressing item on the agenda. Lets cancel the meeting today and move it to next week.

Next board meeting will be Tuesday October 20th at 5:30pm

We still have the hack night tomorrow (Wednesday) and the hunted house volunteers meeting @5pm.

Feel free to post your agenda items here if you prefer.

• I just updated my post to postpone the board meeting to next week.

Haunted house MUST be on the agenda

• Linux

So, is there goign to be a meeting tonight??

Learning and working on learning more!

• So, is there goign to be a meeting tonight??

I am not sure, should we?

• Linux

I vote we have a discussion board meeting! Does anyone have any items for the agenda?

• Yeah I am down for a casual meeting. I just saw @Nicholas , he has another (more interesting) commitment for Tuesday nights. I will be here until 7pm though.

• Founder

Hey everybody, and thanks for your patience. My administrative self is just catching up.

So I have a few woodshop items for the agenda.

The Shopsmith

It is on long-term loan. As we get stationary single purpose tools that process better we’ll phase it out. All of the tools can be adapted to other motors as well, so it is highly hackable. If we find a motor, any of the attachments could be turned into stand-alone tools.

The tools included:

• lathe (without a tailstock, I thought I had one but it seems not, one can be had I believe, if there is interest. Although I remember @Bishop had one at one point, I think?)
    • tablesaw (not the greatest tablesaw, we’ll fix up the old beaver that Pierre brought in)
    • Jointer (just got the blades sharpened, have never fired it up)
    • Drill press (also not very effective, its a pain to use)
    • Horizontal boring (ditto)
    • Bandsaw (is amazing)
    • jigsaw (works but the lower blade lock comes loose all the time, needs troubleshooting)
    • Shaper (never used it, but its probably fairly decent, like a high-power router table)
    • Belt Sander (is amazing)

I think that’s it, I may be missing something.

I have moved it in, but unfortunately not gotten it organized. Which was my plan last week, but I spent it fighting off a bug instead. I will get the accessories hung up, some peg board with all of the bits and pieces, eventually labeled. I have all of the manuals and they will be available somewhere in the shop, and at first, it is a necessity to read the instrey everybody, and thanks for your patience. My administrative self is just catching up.

So I have a few woodshop items for the agenda.

The Shopsmith

It is on long-term loan. As we get stationary single purpose tools that process better we’ll phase it out. All of the tools can be adapted to other motors as well, so it is highly hackable. If we find a motor, any of the attachments could be turned into stand-alone tools.

The tools included:

• lathe (without a tailstock, I thought I had one but it seems not, one can be had I believe, if there is interest. Although I remember @Bishop had one at one point, I think?)
    • tablesaw (not the greatest tablesaw, we’ll fix up the old beaver that Pierre brought in)
    • Jointer (just got the blades sharpened, have never fired it up)
    • Drill press (also not very effective, its a pain to use)
    • Horizontal boring (ditto)
    • Bandsaw (is amazing)
    • jigsaw (works but the lower blade lock comes loose all the time, needs troubleshooting)
    • Shaper (never used it, but its probably fairly decent, like a high-power router table)
    • Belt Sander (is amazing)

I think that’s it, I may be missing something.

I have moved it in, but unfortunately not gotten it organized. Which was my plan last week, but I spent it fighting off a bug instead. I will get the accessories hung up, some peg board with all of the bits and pieces, eventually labeled. I have all of the manuals and they will be available somewhere in the shop, and at first, it is a necessity to read the instructions. We had long ago had a conversation about how it isn’t a very good choice for a makerspace, because it is finnicky, and requires a lot of set up and adjustment, and like all tools, if you use it wrong, you could break it.

Once I get it organized and I’ve used it a bit (its been a while) then I’ll start showing people how to use it. I plan on being around a couple of nights a week working on projects, and will be available to show others on my own work and then have them work on theirs or some scraps. I’ll be letting people know what I am working on when and be available to skill-share.

Storage

I have talked to Nicholas, and it seems we have the money in the budget to build some storage space in the woodshop. I have an idea for some lumber racks and sheetgoods storage on the back wall I can share. I’ll come with a list of the materials so we can roughly price it out, I figure it’ll be a couple of hundred dollars.

Bandsaw

Nicholas, did you say you have a bandsaw? Care to elucidate? If its still on the table and its not to big or small or tall or anything, let’s make a plan to move it in.

Drill Press

I am completely not attached to that General drill press being in the woodshop being that I donated it. But it doesn’t seem as though it is being used a ton downstairs? Let’s take a vote and see where it’ll be more used. I’d use it once a week at least.

If not that one, there are a couple of smaller ones in the space I think? We should pick one and move it up there.

I also think @Bishop mentioned that he had one he wanted to donate. I think its big, so it may come down to whatever is easiest to get up the stairs.

Skill-Shares

I plan on doing weekly informal skill shares. These skill shares will be on whatever I happen to be doing up there. At first it’ll be building shelves and setting up and using the shopsmith. In the future I’ll be letting folks know what I’m doing, what tools I’ll be using or what techniques or processes and anybody is welcome to join me and learn about what I’m doing.

I’d really like everybody to know that I’m really open to any help up there. I want a woodshop to use, so I’m getting to it, admitedly slowly, and I’m fine on my own. But I would love some help and input, so if anybody is interested or an expert in woodshop workflow, storage, tool placement, etc, please come and visit as it gets set up.

• Founder

So I posted that on sunday, and my connection is really terrible and drops out a lot. I’m sure I checked that it was posted, but apparently it didn’t. Sorry about that.

I saw the posts while sitting in traffic, and had a couple of things dropped on my plate, so I opted to head home while I was already deep in the traffic.

I also have one more item for when this board meeting happens.

Lost keys policy?

I checked through and couldn’t find any sort of policy for lost keys on the books. Do we have one? Because I have lost my key. My secondary set of keys went missing.

So…how do I get a new key? And while we are at it why don’t we take the opportunity to discuss issues around lost keys and develop a policy?

• Linux

I’d like to propose that a lost key is a really good push to get key card latches set up?

• Founder

Are we doing this tonight?

I had planned for it, but I’m realizing that there isn’t a clear plan to have this meeting tonight.

• Founder

Another Agenda item:

There is a post titled “Connecting Makers and Teach-Librarians” that I believe was posted today by Cecile from Sahali Secondary.

The district Teacher-Librarian group wants to meet us at 3:30-5 pm on thursday Nov 5. Let’s discuss this so that we will be available that day. I will be there at 4 for sure, and if nobody else is available I could be there by 3:30.

We should discuss this generally just to get some ideas floating around and maybe have a few ideas or things that we can share with our visitors.

• Founder

And…meeting at the usual time (what is the usual time? is there one?) on thursday this week?

• @Bradley-Maker Next meeting will be Thursday November 5th at 5:30