Connecting Makers & Teacher-Librarians

• Hi all,
    The Teacher-Librarian group for our school district is very interested in creating Maker Spaces within our libraries at both the elementary & secondary level. We’d like to learn more about your space and make connections with your group. We were wondering if we could visit your space on Thursday, November 5th from 3:30 - 5 pm and if any of you would like to meet us and help us discover more about the different kinds of Maker experiences for students aged 5 -18 years.
    Thanks,
    Cecile McVittie
    Sa-Hali Secondary

• Founder

That sounds great Cecile, I’ll be there with bells on.

Having connections with children generally and schools and institutions is something that I would like to see us doing in the future, it could be considered inevitable I think. I look forward to meeting you. Thanks for reaching out.

• @cmcvittie that sounds great and it is a great time since we have our board meeting shortly after. I added to our calendar.

I will be there as well. Feel free to post more details about what your vision is and what you required to achieve. I am sure there are many ways we could collaborate.

• Thanks, Bradley! Several of us were at the Provincial Teacher Librarians conference this past Friday and attended a number of workshops on creating Maker spaces in our Library/Learning Commons. I know I’m excited to get started and want to know more about your group and your makerspace. Is there parking at the building or should we park nearby and walk?

Thanks @arasbm! Our vision right now is learning about your space and the kinds of projects local makers are involved with and start with very small, simple projects in our schools, perhaps with support from local makers to act as mentors.

• @cmcvittie
    Hello Cecile,

I am new to Kamloops Makers, but saw this conversation a few days back , and talked with Dennis Staginnus to offer mentorship and ideas for Beattie Elementary where my children attend.

I would be willing to offer a lantern workshop over the coming weeks to enable kids to make lanterns for the Lumiere light festival and parade that will occur on November 26th at 6:30.
    If you think you would be interested, please let me know.

Heather Leedham
    hthrleedham@gmail.com