Next board meeting -- Monday January 11th



  • Please post any agenda items for our next board meeting here. As we discussed last time, our next meeting will be on Monday January 11th at 5:30pm. We are going to try and keep the meeting one a month on the second Monday of each month. As always meetings are open to public and anyone who is interested is welcome to join us.

    Agenda

    • AGM
    • Family day event
      • hydroponic setup
        • @Bradley Maker will organize getting this made, help is welcome
          perhaps a group build/effort, maybe an impromtu hack night project or mini-workshop?
      • Other ideas? We should be acting on this very soon
    • Snow Removal
      • Brad will head a team of 2-4 members to be on call? All in favor?
      • If interested, add yourself to the snow removal team
    • Wood Shop Safety Manuals and Orientations
      • @Bradley-Maker hopes to have the shopsmith all set-up by this meeting, and be available for safety/tool orientation every hack night following
      • Planning a clean-up, building lumber racks, organizing day.
        Budget? I’ll come up with a rough idea before the meeting
        When?
      • Any Ideas for design of racks? (@Bradley-Maker will post to the forum as well)
    • Collaboration with and space use agreement with Kamloops Innovation: @arasbm
    • Agreement with Insight Support Services: @arasbm

  • Founder

    Agenda Item: Woodshop Update

    Planning a clean-up, building lumber racks, organizing day.

    • Budget? I’ll come up with a rough idea before the meeting
    • When?
    • Any Ideas for design of racks? (I’ll post to the forum as well)

    Safety Manuals and Orientations

    • I hope to have the shopsmith all set-up by this meeting, and I’ll be available for safety/tool orientation every hack night following

    Planning group projects/workshops, towards a future co-op production shop

    • Brainstorming some project ideas

    Agenda Item: Ball-picker-uppers 2016


  • Founder

    Agenda Item: Snow Removal

    • Brad will head a team of 2-4 members to be on call? All in favor?

  • Founder

    Agenda Item: Family Day Festival

    • hydroponic setup
      • @Bradley Maker will organize getting this made, help is welcome
      • perhaps a group build/effort, maybe an impromtu hack night project or mini-workshop?
        -Other ideas? We should be acting on this very soon…


  • Planning group projects/workshops, towards a future co-op production shop

    @Bradley-Maker this seems like a few topics. Can you break it up? I also suggest postponing co-op production shop/ways of making money to it’s own meeting as it is a big topic. That way we can have a more focused discussion on that topic without extending the general meeting.

    Ball-picker-uppers 2016

    @Bradley-Maker can you explain what this is about?


  • Founder

    It is just a quick comment, something I’d like to get off my chest. It isn’t practical, requires nothing from anybody except to listen. I’d just like to voice it at the meeting. It’ll just take a minute, and hopefully give us something to think about in the new year.


  • Founder

    And we can strike that one about the shop from the record. I’ll do a workshop about it someday soon, and maybe have a sit down with @arasbm and @Nicholas as this is something we discussed last week…

    bedtime…



  • Sounds like an exciting meeting. Too bad I won’t be able to make it. This is the week we are doing our bathroom reno and I can’t skip out. Demolition is already beyond the point of no return.


  • Linux

    Notes from the meeting:
    Attended: Aras, Nicholas, Heather, Dave, Jason, Brad, Tyler, Courtenay, Jake

    AGM tasks/goals:

    • Elect new board members (treasurer?)
    • Brad will take the lead
    • All members should be here the same day (?)
    • Events around it to get people to show up
    • Teach CNC router that day

    Rotating events – 3 events, then meeting, then same 3 events with different groups

    Family day event

    • hydroponic setup – demo made of pop bottles and pvc pipe – we make it in conjunction with partner booth, and share space with their booth. Work on it during hack night this week to get it set up.
    • wind tunnel – Grant and Jake are working on it.
    • Heather has ideas of things to do at the event to attract different ages.
    • Having stuff pre-fabricated ahead of time is a good plan, saves cutting etc.
    • Let’s make this awesome!

    Snow Removal

    • Brad will head a team of 2-4 members to be on call? All in favor?
    • If interested, add yourself to the snow removal team
    • Snow blower acquired by Nicholas – runs and has a slight drive train issue, but unknown status.
    • New snow shovels are for the space.
    • Dave talked to bylaw, snow must be cleared by 10am or 100$ fine per day or they will have it done and bill us.
    • If they beat us to it, the community can clear the snow for a donation from us. We can work out them using our snowblower if they want :)

    Wood Shop Safety Manuals and Orientations

    • Wood shop shopsmith not quite set up yet. Brad will be here on hacknights for orientating on everything but CNC up there.
    • Brad will post a safety manual in the wood shop.
    • First aid comes up – training, kits and supplies, Nicholas will follow up on training.
    • Is it unreasonable to require keyholders to get basic first aid?
      Probably right now due to membership size, but maybe in the future.

    Planning a clean-up, building lumber racks, organizing day.

    • Budget figured out with Nicholas after meeting. Date is selected and on calendar.
    • CNC router should be squared up and straightened tonight, workshop to come.

    Collaboration with and space use agreement with Kamloops Innovation

    • $600/month to use space twice a month for half a day for workshops
    • They’ll give us notice of dates, at least 3 weeks notice. Jan 29 will be the first one, intro to makerspace.
    • Cut a KIC sign on CNC machine
    • interesting projects wanted for Jan 29. 1-5pm
    • Also includes possibility of hiring members to run workshops, on top of the $600/month.
    • Their workshops are free and open to the public.

    hack night - Shaw TV coming back on Jan 20 – need projects.

    Agreement with Insight Support Services

    • Meeting tomorrow at 12:30 at the space. Extra people around is helpful.
    • 3 keyholders, working with children with disabilities and learning issues. They can come with a client.
    • client can also be a drop in member – separate from this agreement.
    • 3 slots per week, they can run workshops for their clients.
    • $500/month, $3000 of which in advance for laser cutter

    What are the expectations of members in the space during “booked” time for KIC and ISS agreements?

    • Keep noise down during workshops, and stay out of the way.
    • Quiet work in the building is okay, but be respectful.
    • Library rules.
    • Make them feel welcome!!!
    • No underage kids are allowed in the workshop areas without adult supervision.

    Ball Picker Upper
    Lack of accountability makes brad uncomfortable, and wants people to take it more seriously and hold each other more accountable.
    Brad is voicing his discomfort with the ball-dropping joke that goes around, so we can potentially adjust our behaviour?
    Group agrees generally there is no discomfort around the joking, but it should be addressed in a professional manner when we’re around other groups (ISS, KIC, hack nights, etc)

    • Keep the audience in mind when expressing sense of humour.
    • Nicholas got us bins and is asking for forgiveness for spending the money.
    • Hack stuff room is being organized in conjunction with SOP creation.
    • Wood shop is being done similarly, tyler will do metal room soon.
    • Nicholas would like to see a clear table policy.
    • Storage bins and labelling surfaces will help with this.

    More events:

    • April 16 Meet the machines – pinewood derby idea – nicholas.
      Maybe other ideas?
    • Date tba - city green-theme Expo – food policy council, as well as a space for K3
      Fix it instead of throw it out “theme”
      ie: fixing cell phones.

    Rotation outdoor mat service will be donated for space.

    Thank you for donors:
    *router to make little “Kamloops Makerspace Thanks _____”

    Learning and working on learning more!

    0

Log in to reply