Kamloops Artisan Market

• Kamloops Artisan Market

In the art world there seems to be some distinction between an artist, crafter and an artisan.

According to the dictionary, an artist is a painter, sculptor, or writer, who is able by virtue of imagination and talent or skill to create works of aesthetic value, especially in the fine arts.

A crafter is someone who has great skill at making something in the arts.

An Artisan is a skilled craft worker who makes or creates things by hand that may be functional or strictly decorative in the arts.
    They all seem pretty close to me. When I was in college the crafters were revolting and cutting their pots in half and hanging them on the wall calling them fine art. I thought it was silly, it didn’t prove anything other than they had too much time on their hands to ruin perfectly good pots.
    In my mind a person is an artist or they are not. It does not matter what they create or in what vein of the arts they are in. Most artists move around through different mediums thought their lives. Creative expression can take many forms and not one form is any better than the other.
    I think most people will agree. You can certainly see a resurgence of art in the summer markets downtown. It seems that the bridge between craft and art has come together and artists are creating all kinds of wonderful things and ideas that we all can enjoy.
    One thing that I have noticed is that there seems to be more crafters and artists than galleries out there to support them. I talked with a few people and they seem to share my thinking on this.
    One such group is the Kamloops Downtown Business Association who absolutely believe in creating a healthy happy business climate in downtown Kamloops. With their help and support we are creating a Downtown Kamloops Artisan Market.
    The Kamloops Artisan Market will provide a much-needed venue for local artists and designers to show and sell their wares in Downtown Kamloops. The Market will create a veritable outdoor sidewalk gallery showing a wide range of functional and collectible art and design items. Artists will personally display and sell their own original creations.

Artisan Markets are growing in popularity all across British Columbia, and no wonder… the benefits of local markets are many. Buying local craft is not only great for local artists, it also supports our economy. This, in turn, benefits other local businesses with new shoppers coming into the area. Buying local craft also creates jobs and supports entrepreneurs, which supports a stronger community and local economy. Buying locally does much more than support one craftsperson whose product you’ve taken home; it has a significant ripple effect in a very positive way.

The Kamloops Artisan Market is launching its inaugural opening party Thursday May 19, from 10:00 to 2:00pm downtown Kamloops in the 400 block. There will be balloons, clowns, painting demonstrations, live music and a wide selection of art to get your creative on. The Market will run every Thursday from May 19 to September 29, 2016.

The Kamloops Artisan Market is looking for artists interested in joining the market. There is no jury process; all artists are invited to participate. The cost is only $15 per week for early bird registration. All Market members will be promoted on the Kamloops Artisan Market web site.

For more information and registration go to www.karlapearce.com or call / text 778-220-2032