3D printer help

• Hey everyone,
    I am working on a project for a course at TRU and I need a model of a manual transmission. I managed to find plans (I hope) and I need help printing them. I don’t have any experience with 3D printers and am willing to learn and help out with anything. Also curious if there are costs related with printing stuff, materials, etc.?

Here is the link:
    http://www.thingiverse.com/thing:713815

Let me know if anyone is available and could help. I would also only need the model for the project and after that it could be given to the makerspace as a demo or something along those lines.

Thanks,
    Julian

• Hey Julian. That’s pretty bad ass.

You won’t get it to print anywhere near acceptably on the machines currently at the makerspace though. What’s your timeline like for getting this done? We might have some options if there is time or budget to do it. Failing that, we might be able to source a small manual transmission and section it up.

• 3D

This is indeed badass.
    Regards materials: normally it’s a negligible cost, but this model takes about a week to print (telling from the “makes” section comments) and probably going to weight lot.
    I am close to running out of filament (~300 g of translucent PLA left), but If you don’t mind rough edges I can print bigger parts.

• Thinking about it a bit more, it might be much easier to print a scale model of a simpler transmission… Something like this 1950’s 3-speed might be much more within our capabilities.

Doubly so if we can print some of the parts and machine others.

http://www.wimp.com/manualtransmission/

• The three speed transmission would abd sounds like it would make both ours lives a lot easier. Let me know what would be required for the 3 speed transmission and I can help out. The main goal is for it to be demonstrated so people can undt how transmissions work. Being able to see the inner workings would be ideal.

Thanks for the help!

• This post is deleted!