woodworking workshop.

• Lets see if there is interest.
    hand tools oriented.
    I think a saw bench would be a great start for any beginner to take home and use for your next project. They are very versatile and can also be used for clamping .
    google it .
    cost would be for materials only.
    You would need your own hand saw. They are very reasonable and even cheap ones work quite well.
    Please reply here

• Great idea! I don’t use my hand saw enough! Benches are very handy, we can use some at the space too. Count me in!

• I would come out.

Add me to the list of the interested

• I am interested too- especially in making benches or shelves!

• Great. I will start a materials list and a plan.
    I’m thinking… beginning/mid of april. If this weather keeps up i will have no trouble milling up the material. Also thinking 15-20 spaces.

• Founder

I don’t think I’ll be able to attend, it’ll depend of your timing and mine. If I do come I’ll build a couple of benches for the space. It is on my list to get a couple of saw horses made for the space, but I’m busy.
    I’ll also suggest that it would be hugely helpful if anybody wants to attend the workshop, and donate their bench to the woodshop, and potentially the metalshop (not sure how useful they will be down there).

Post your design when you settle on one.

• To answer Bradleys questions I have fir and yellow cedar milled up and dry at the moment. Not sure how many bf. I just do it when i can. I bought a load of fir firewood in logs this fall and will be milling some of that soon its dryish and big enough to get lumber and burn the rest.0_1456335632615_100_5391-1.JPG

Im thinking about a bench like this

And incorporating holes for wedge clamping.

• If i can mill enough before and its dry enough the cost will be by donations to KM. If not 2x10 and 2x6?.
    Any plan ideas are more than welcome and the benches can built to an indivduals height.

• Founder

Oh I love that! Nice design! I wonder if we can add the option of a shave-horse style brake at one end, instead of the metal hold down? But then we’d either have made a tall shaving bench, or a very short saw bench…but that is something that comes to mind for work holding…

I encourage you to mill up wood too! I find that 2x material is just a little too small and soft to really do any proper joinery with. But of course that is subject to your time and ability to supply.

If you are in town, come by the space and check out what is in stock (certainly not enough for 15-20 benches!), I can probably get some more similar material from Daizen if you get me a cut list.

@bct, are you the gentleman that showed up to a meeting around a year ago, and showed some pictures of your gravity-fed mill? Seems likely…

• Not me. Mine is human fed.
    Diazen eh? Have they found a home?
    i love traditional timber framing and Japanese joinery and tools.

• Founder

Yeah, I’ve been with them since they came to Kamloops 2.5 years ago. We are out at Lafarge, in front of the Aldacan veneer plant. Things have been steadily ramping up since I arrived, we are doing about triple the bdft with triple the staff when things are rolling.

I love Japanese woodworking too.
    The only thing I don’t like is their insane work ethic. They actually tend to tear good houses down within 30 years to keep the workforce working their 6 day 10-12 hour work week going.

You follow the timber/log scene @bct?
    Ever worked in the industry?

• Yes . Timber frame and log construction. Mostly just labor but always kept an eye out to learn a thing or two. I prefer european timber joinery done with asian tools. The last one i did was all shouldered tennons .Always considered it fun so i never set out to make a living at it and mess that up. I started woodworking in vancouver, in custom furniture ,building chairs.

• Founder

I was on that “don’t want to ruin it” path for a long time. Economics comes rearing its ugly head. Started peeling and then log building while on the island unable to find a job, bit the bullet. Did a little work for Cliff Walker at Timbersmith in Parksville, great guy. On-site with experienced buildiers is really the only way to really get good at log-work, so I’m grateful for that experience.

Then I had a son arrive onto this plane, and right after that I caught wind that Daizen had moved into town. It was too serendipitous and valuable an opportunity to pass up. And I don’t regret it for a second. It has actually changed my mind around that whole “don’t want to ruin it” idea. I’ve kept myself sane and free by not wasting a moment since being there, I’ve done a lot of valuable thinking on how I can work for myself.

Because now I think that having an integrated life, spending time generating livelihood close to home, and close to my passion is that way to live. And after years of struggle, frustration and self sabotage I’m almost there.

• 4 total in two weeks. 1 week till I pull the plug, with apologies to the interested.

• I’m interested. I have a saw, but I’m really, really bad at wood work.

• Everyone is bad at woodworking. Its tough. Wood is natural and has grain which makes perfection very difficult. It moves , it cracks , chuncks fly off… In my opinion the trick is to just keep trying. If something doesnt turn out… call it rustic. Learning how to deal with the imperfections is what makes a person skilled.
    I can show you how to cut a pencil line in half with a few tricks of the trade. Modern saws make hand work very fun. Not like the old days with a three foot dull push saw. I can cut 2x material nearly as fast as a skill saw.

• One of these:

is actually one of my favorite hand tools when I need to work with wood… But I’d still be happier if I could make everything out of metal.

• I agree. You cant beat a pull saw. The modern push saw is a good tool too.

• These guys!!! same methods i use other than i like an olfa cutter in place of the chisels and scribes.
    Have fun.

• I definitely need to improve my wood building skills. Like pierre, I have worked with metal for almost every job I ever had and am familiar with the manufacturing of it.

As for wood, I’ve only learned basic framing when it comes to making products out of wood. You can count me as an interested person when the workshop has been set for a time.