Forum request

• Founder

@arasbm is it possible to have the ‘home’ page of the forum be a summary of the categories instead of the recent posts?

I’d find that would make more sense to me, I’ve been a bit confused as to navigation since that was changed a few months back.

but that is just me, not sure how others feel?

For instance, if there is a category that hasn’t been used in a while, and so has no posts on the recent posts list, how do I navigate to it?

• 3D

I second that. We call this place “forum” and normally under that name we assume some threads grouped in categories on the front page. Everyone knows how a forum should look like.
    However, from the technical point of view I understand this is not as easy as tick a box in admin settings. NodeBB, the forum engine powering this forum just wants us to re-learn the forum. They call it a “community” and imply that you’d have to keep up to the pace of recent posts flow. I believe this is a minor ideological change that makes a big technical difference (to my opinion - more of a technical complication).
    I’ve seen requests on NodeBB development forum to implement more “classic” front page view, all of them without a solution.

• I believe we can implement a custom home page and create our own layout. Is anyone interested in helping me out implementing that?

• 3D

Me.

• @toxuin awesome :), I’ll pm you to find a good time

• Founder

Thanks guys.

@arasbm thanks for all the work. Sorry for any ill-feelings. I’m 100% on board for making this our HQ! Keep up the good work, and I’ll bring you feedback.

• Linux

Is this what you mean, Bradley?
    https://community.nodebb.org/
    The nodebb forum looks like what you’re thinking of, I think, so it should be possible?

Learning and working on learning more!

• Linux

Okay, so I made an accidental discovery.
    Users can set their own preferences for the home page:
    Go to your profile (Click on your photo in the top right, and then click your username)
    0_1456524258307_2016-02-26-140250_1366x768_scrot.png

Go into Settings, and you have a lovely menu to choose your favourite homepage setting!

0_1456524267698_2016-02-26-140256_1366x768_scrot.png

Learning and working on learning more!