Z artifacts (3D printer)

• Hey Tyler (if you’re a member here),

I discovered something else that can cause artifacts on the Z axis.

When you use a helical coupler to join the stepper motor and the Z-axis lead screw, you want to make sure that the lead screw is actually touching the stepper shaft (inside the coupler).

If they aren’t touching, then resistance in Z can cause the helical coupler to compress and expand, which causes artifacts.

Just something else to check.

• @dhylands yes he is here, his handle is @teastman , I know he was out of country but should be back soon.

• I’ll give him a poke tomorrow if he doesn’t see it.

• Hmmm, I wouldn’t have thought about that. Are you using something other than helical couplers? I’ll take a look and check the lead screws. Thanks for the heads up.

• @teastman The MM3 also uses helical couplers, and somebody on the MM3 list had some Z artifacts that looked very similar to yours:
    https://lh5.googleusercontent.com/-wH35sWa9Lik/VJM96r3ghQI/AAAAAAAADzw/LgpaVYV7XMA/s643-no/IMG_20141219_071425_1.jpg

and the MM3 guys explained that that’s why their build instructions say that the leadscrew should touch the stepper shaft (otherwise the couplers will compress).