Logo design and vinyl cutting workshops

• Design Lab

Further to the development of the Design Lab, I would like to request feedback about hosting a Logo Design workshop and a seperate Vinyl Cutting workshop.

What should each workshop include?

Logo Workshop suggestions:

• A review of some logos and why they work (or why they dont).

• Pointers on do’s and don’ts in terms of design process?

• A sample fictional ‘logo development’?

• What else comes to mind for you?

Vinyl Cutting Workshop:

• The basics of vinyl - what it is, how it works, where to get it, options, etc

• A demo of cutting vinyl

• A demo of installing vinyl

• What else comes to mind for you?

WHEN is a good time to do these workshops? Parhaps one in late April and one in late May? Is Thursday night the regular ‘workshop night’?

Also, it is probably a good idea to charge $20 for each workshop for non-members? Does that sound right? How many people can we host for such a thing (I may have to move the equpiment to the common room to host the workshop as it will be too tight in the design lab).

OK, hope to get some feedback on this! I’ll gather some information in the next week or so and get some plans finalized.

Thanks
    vw

• @Vaughn awesome!

We have had good success with limit of 20. For the date for first workshop I suggest Tuesday April 19th from 6pm to 8pm or Thursday that week or Thursday or Tuesday the last week of April.

Send me (or post here) the workshop description and date and an image if you have and I will create a picatic event for you. 20$ sounds very reasonable, if you want to give discount to members we can create a second cheaper ticket for members.

I will probably be in

• The vinyl part sounds very interesting to me. My wife is starting a new business in April / May and I need to get a sign made for the door. It’s always more interesting to do it yourself.

• Founder

@Vaughn I’m in.

Thursday works great for me.

The content all sounds good. However for me in particular, I’m working on this stuff right now. Is there a way to incorporate some actual work for anybody working on their own logos?

But as always, gear is often limited.

• Design Lab

DRAFT of text for logo workshop:

Logo Design Basics workshop
    Hosted by Kamloops Makerspace and Vaughn Warren ??? KIC?
    Thursday April 28th, 2016 ???
    6:30pm -9:30pm @ Kamloops Makerspace 207 Victoria WEST
    $25.00 non-members - FREE for Makerspace Members ???
    Limit of 20 participants
    Contact and Info: vaughn@vaughnwarren.com

This workshop will focus on the basics of designing an effective logo for your business or product. Topics covered will include:

• An overview of effective and ineffective logo design - do’s and don’ts

• A creative brainstorm for a fictional company (or one that a participant brings) that demonstrates the creative process.

• A brief demonstation of building a logo as a vector graphic

• A open discussion driven by the participants needs and interests - possibly leading to another workshop where those ideas are developed further.

Meant as a primer for those developing and/or prototyping their ideas, the workshop will aim to respond to the participants interests and active projects.

About the Makerspace facilitator:
    Vaughn Warren has been designing and producing vector format logos and graphic designs for over 20 years, as well as carving wood sculpture, painting murals and working in the cultural sector. A personable and enthusiastic member of the arts community, Vaughn works with a wide range of organizations teaching workshops, producing artworks and growing his practice.
    See more of Vaughn’s work here:
    https://www.facebook.com/VaughnWarrenArtist/ or www.vaughnwarren.com

@arasbm

• Design Lab

DRAFT of text for Computer Vinyl Cutting workshop:

Computer Cut Vinyl Basics workshop
    Hosted by Kamloops Makerspace and Vaughn Warren ??? KIC?
    Thursday May 26th, 2016 ???
    6:30pm -9:30pm @ Kamloops Makerspace 207 Victoria WEST
    $25.00 non-members - FREE for Makerspace Members ???
    Limit of 20 participants
    Contact and Info: vaughn@vaughnwarren.com

This workshop will focus on the basics of cutting vector files in adhesive vinyl (computer cut lettering and images) and will include:

-The basics of adhesive vinyl graphics - what it is, how it works, where to get it, options, etc

-A demo of cutting vinyl - a simple image will be computer cut and prepared for installation

-A demo of installing vinyl - the image will be installed on a substrate to demonstrate the basics of installing.

-An open discussion, including applying participants practical requirements and/or cutting more vinyl graphics, as time allows.

Meant as a primer for those developing and/or prototyping their ideas, the workshop will aim to respond to the participants interests and active projects.

About the Makerspace facilitator:
    Vaughn Warren has been designing and producing vector format logos and graphic designs for over 20 years, as well as carving wood sculpture, painting murals and working in the cultural sector. A personable and enthusiastic member of the arts community, Vaughn works with a wide range of organizations teaching workshops, producing artworks and growing his practice.
    See more of Vaughn’s work here:
    https://www.facebook.com/VaughnWarrenArtist/ or www.vaughnwarren.com

• Those workshop both look awesome @Vaughn ! I am definitely taking both of those :)

I just contact @amanda and we will take care of the logistics (creating picatic page to sell tickets, etc). I am pretty sure this will work well. Being able to create 2D vector graphics as a very useful skills to have when you have access to vinyl cutter, laser cutter, and other cnc machines. And developing a logo is a pretty fun and sweet way to get started or improve your skills.

Do you need any materials for the logo design workshop? Also do you have an image that we could use to represent the logo design workshop?

• Design Lab

Regarding the vinyl cutting workshop, here is an image to use:
    0_1459193015977_vinyl-cutter-medium.jpg

Regarding the logo design workshop, here is an image to use:
    0_1459193332524_Creative-Logo-Design.jpg

Regarding materials for the workshop(s), I would think if we ordered a roll of 14" premask and 10 yards of black 14" vinyl (approx. $80 for both) that would allow plenty of material for participants to cut their own images, etc. as time allows. I have also brought a box of random vinyl colours to use.

I also intended to full colour print a few large pages of logo designs and examples to help guide the workshop - this will cost maybe $20.

I thought it would be good to offer a snack and coffee as well.

Thanks, @arasbm

• Design Lab

Also, an easle with paper pad or a white board to do the creative brainstorm element of the Logo design workshop would be handy. Does Makerspace have one?

• Design Lab

@Bradley-Maker I was hoping that a participant or two had something they were working on that could be used as a ‘guinea pig’ in the logo workshop. Bring your design for sure!

• Founder

Sounds good @Vaughn I will do! I’ll make a facebook event for it as well.

There is an easel such as you were talking about around, last I saw in the office. There should be a wipe board around too.

• Registration is live for the first workshop on logo design: https://www.picatic.com/kam-makerspace-logodesign

Kamloops Makerspace members can use promo code: kammakermember to register for free. If you’re not a member, please proceed to purchase your ticket for the workshop and support this awesome organization :)

• I would suggest the first sign project be something that says “Design Lab” for the door

• Design Lab

@amanda Awesome! Thank you so much for that. I’ve shared it on my artist page ( https://www.facebook.com/VaughnWarrenArtist/ ), and I beleive @Bradley-Maker is making a facebook event page for it.

@tinfoilknight Great work! Let me know when I can return the favour. And yeah, a DESIGN LAB sign is in order!

@pierre any chance of planning that ethernet cable mission this week?

@Frank Ill see you tomorrow and we’ll see if we can get that computer running - does anyone have a Windows XP install disk? All the other software and drivers are there.

Any computer support we can get getting this machine tuned up is much appreciated.