Vinyl Cutting 101 Thurs. March 23 7-9

i’d like to understand a little more the process of converting a raster image to vector file (different way that it is possible / techniques) if that is possible within the time frame that we have!

• Design Lab

@derpko, my guess is that Vaughn will default to Corel for this, and you will probably want to do it in illustrator given the suite of software you have installed. Most of the principles will be similar, but the workflow and tool names will be a little different. Live trace is the illustrator tool that you are looking for. Here is a decent video incase there isn’t time to cover it in the workshop.

• Here’s the relevant inkscape tutorial, for those peasents and zealots among us who won’t spend $hundreds to make drawings for the laser cutter. https://inkscape.org/en/doc/tracing/tutorial-tracing.html

• Design Lab

lol @Pierre or us professional teachers that enjoy an educational copy of CorelDRAW that I have been encouraged by CorelDRAW Brass to share with anyone, for free, ie it never “calls home”.

It was a gift to me from Corel for writing a chapter in their Tips from the Experts book, included with the software. Check it out in the @Design-Lab

Come see me for your free copy of CorelDRAW - the industry standard for applied PC vector graphics. Works for me.

• 3D

@Vaughn If there is space in the vinyl cutting workshop Thursday, please sign me up (with DennisTheYounger). One spot or 2. Either works for us :)

• Design Lab

Awesome, Beth! You two are in like Flynn.
    Thank you.

• Any space left in this one? I’m interested!

• Design Lab

@ornatesapphire I am sorry, but it looks like this one is full again:

Booked in:

@GottaBeKD182
    @300XC
    @kile
    @megan-fenkhuber
    @derpko
    @Beth
    @DennisTheYounger

@ornatesapphire you are definately numero uno for the next one - you’re booked into airbrush though, right?

Thanks!

• @Vaughn

@ornatesapphire you are definately numero uno for the next one - you’re booked into airbrush though, right?

Thanks!

I believe so!

• Sorry for the potentially dumb question, but the material we’ll be working with tonight, is it quite durable? My boss has asked if I’m able to add a website to our work truck and I was curious whether the material we’ll be using is durable enough to last on the outside of a commercial vehicle.

Thanks!

@GottaBeKD182

The vinyl @Vaughn has for the workshop isn’t necessarily up to par with the quality needed to resist certain weather conditions as well as time. You need a nice quality vinyl for it to last, don’t get me wrong it will probably last for a little bit, but ultimately will need to changed within a couple months for sure.

• @derpko awesome, thanks for letting me know!

• Design Lab

@derpko, I’m under the impression most of the vinyl Vaughn deals with is high grade and suitable for exterior signage. Vehicles I’m not sure of (on second thought there is a decal that Vaughn cut on his truck, pretty sure the same decal has been there 5 years at least).

I have Heard @Vaughn talk about how to recognize different grades of vinyl by appearance before. I am sure it will get covered

• Design Lab

@derpko actually that is incorrect.

The vinyls I use comes in two types, both of which we will be using tonight. One is an ‘intermediate’ which is good for indoor use and is cheaper, and the other is a ‘high performance’ which is suitable for outdoor use and vehicle graphics. The HP is guaranteed for 7 years, when installed to spec.