Board meeting May 2nd
Just to remind people there should be a board meeting
Here are some of the items I know we need to talk about
- Fundraising dinner
- Renting out offices upstairs
Is there anything else that should be on the agenda?
@arasbm Could a simply procedure/policy for thanking, recognizing and documenting donors/donations be created?
I think a donor should:
receive a message, preferably on letterhead, that thanks them for their specific donation
Be added to the list of recognized sponsors, preferably on the website and facebook page
have their logo added to the Thank you banner (coming soon) in the Lounge
A little thank you, professionally done, can go a LONG WAY in terms of subsequent support. A simple checklist, posted in the lounge, of what should be done for significant donors, could help this happen.
Perhaps the info could be gathered on a clipboard in the Lounge, and addressed once per month as a group to make it easier. A standard procedure for this situation is a good start.
I dont mean to add more work for the Society, but what I am suggesting is basically the minimum requirement to ensure these donor relationships grow and flourish.
In case you do not have the Calendar meeting is at 6:30pm Today (May 2nd). Everyone is welcome to join us as usual.
I agree with Vaugn, at the very least we need a form letter to thank hand tool etc. donors.
- Fundraising dinner
- Renting out offices and rent issues
- Thanking donations
- All seats were taking, pretty awesome!
- Some minor issues that we learned from
- Silent auction items did not go as high as expected
- Sue suggest going corporate next year to get more donation
- Preliminary count is minimum $3473 but there a few more calls to be made to collect money. Projection is gross $5000. Net income will be comparable to last year which was ~$2000
- suggested considering outdoor event and barbecue
- Vaughn asked what items did make more money?
** Company/corporate donation brought more money for least effort
- suggest having
- Center pieces may have been a bit difficult to see for everyone and did not do so well
- Doing it at the end of the month may have been a little hard for some people. Doing it next time just after the middle of the month
- There were 54 auction items
- Raising the ticket price might be a good option. Vaughn thinks even 40$ may be good
- Merchandise table for smaller items might work better again
- Having an MC or someone going through and promoting silent auctions would be good
- We should sell more tickets maybe minimum of 150 people next year
- That means we would need to look into other venues
- lighting was not very good and venue was not very creative
- Next year look for 150 to 200 capacity
- Round table were nice
- Meal was really awesome
- Lineup was really long
- More visible table numbers may help
- Asking to bid to go first for dinner
Renting out offices upstairs
- The rent will start going up in June
- Anything we do to maintain the building will come off from our rent
- There might be grants available
- We can rent the rooms upstairs
** Not having air conditioning might be a challenge
** Not having long term lease is a bit of issue
- We dealing with all the expenses is an advantage for us
- Offer improving space in negotiation for the
- Nicholas is applying for a grant to improve the building as a non profit
- A few member suggest reasonable rate would be ~ $2000 if it is locked in for the lease period
- We are making approximately $1200
- It would be a good idea to look into paying based on our income
- Looking at grants for hiring someone to help run the space
- setting up a procedure to thank you for donations
- Have a Google doc as well as a physical thank you cards to send out
- Make it accessible to everyone and make it a culture to thank for donations
- Aras and Dave signed up to help put in something in place
Can we put the board meetings on the calendar? I really depend on the pop-ups
@tinfoilknight sorry we missed you tonight! I think the board meeting has been on the calendar. Is it not showing up for you? You might have to create your own notification but we can also add a general notification.
I see what happened. The meeting isn’t set up as a recurring event. I have to manually add each month
Could you add weds hack night 6-8pm as a recurring event, too please?
The board meeting is now a repeating event. Thanks Aras.
@tinfoilknight I only see the 5pm one that I made. Are you sure the 5:30 is not in one of your personal calendars?