Kamloops Makerspace Curriculum

• There has been a lot of interest recently in our workshops and very often I get approached by various organizations asking about what topics we could host a workshop for them. Sometimes they are looking for a free tour but often they are willing to pay an instructor. This is a great opportunity for our membership to share their knowledge and in some cases also earn a little bit of money while doing so. I would like to use this thread to create a somewhat standard curriculum as well as a list of instructors. This will allow us to have a vocabulary to discuss various line of workshops that we do. I am also planning to eventually create a formal document based on this for all the workshops we could offer. We could release this document annually for example in early September.

Format of the Workshops

So far the workshops have been approximately 2 hours. If you design a workshop that is longer, I would suggest to try and break it down conceptually even if you are planning to run them back to back. For example, you could organize a full day of hacking workshop separated into risk assessment, taking things apart, sorting components, etc. If we follow this format, we can also assign one badge to each workshop as per our previous discussion which would give badges roughly the same value.

Naming Convention

I plan to call the first workshop on a new topic “Something 101”, for example “Hacking Stuff 101” can be a general workshop on taking things apart. It would have to cover basic safety and will also include a short presentation as well as a hands on component where you would actually take some stuff apart. That 101 workshop would be understood as a requirement for any 200 level workshop which would be slightly more advanced and would cover specific topics. For example here is a list of 200 level hacking workshops I can think of:

• Hacking 201 – Toaster Ovens
    • Hacking 202 – Coffee Machines
    • Hacking 203 – Sewing Machines
    • Hacking 204 – Printers
    • etc. etc. etc.

The first person that organizes a workshop will get to choose the name. You can call it something totally different, but I am recommending this new standard format so that it is easier for us to communicate to other groups what we can teach them.

List of Workshops

Here is a list of workshops we have done in the past, with names following this new convention. I am going to edit this list as we add more workshop or are able to describe them in more details.

CNC Router 101

This workshop covers safety and basic of a CNC Router. It will be based primarily on our Shapoko CNC router which has a 5’ by 5’ cutting area and therefore will focus mostly on challenges of cutting large designs.

• Hardware: Shapoko CNC Router
    • Software: Inkscape, Easel and controller software
    • Audience: 12+
    • Applications: Arts, Rapid Prototyping, Digital Fabrication
    • Recommended # of Participats: 10
    • Past Instructors: @arasbm

CNC Router 102 – Night Lights

This workshop covers safety and basic use of a CNC router. It will focus on cutting and engraving Acrylic and other plastics. Participants can bring an image or draw one up during workshop.

• Hardware: Froggymill (3020 CNC Router/Mill)
    • Software: Inkscape, Easel and LinuxCNC
    • Audience: 8+
    • Applications: Arts, Rapid Prototyping, Digital Fabrication, PCB engraving
    • Recommended # of Participats: 10
    • Past Instructors: @Chris @Stephen @arasbm

CNC Milling 101

Someone needs to teach an introductory course on milling based on our sherline and/or the yellow machines
    @pierre @fullmetalbuddha ?

Metal Working 101 - Introduction to Metal Working

Overview of available tools and safety.

Metal Working 201 - Introduction to Metal Lathe

Arduino 101

Covers some of the basics of Arduino platform. Start with getting Arduino IDE up and running and then programming the Blink sketch on it. Finish the workshop by covering buttons and analog input/output. You could also ask the participant to request a particular type of sketch

• Hardware: Any Arduino board
    • Software: Arduino IDE
    • Applications: Arts, Rapid Prototyping
    • Recommended # of Participats: 7 per instructor
    • Past Instructors: @Ron_Ron @toxuin @arasbm

Arduino 201 - Stepper Motors

• Hardware: Any Arduino board plus the stepper motor kit
    • Software: Arduino IDE
    • Applications: Arts, Rapid Prototyping, Automation and Robotics
    • Recommended # of Participats: 7 per instructor
    • Past Instructors: @Ron_Ron @toxuin @arasbm
    • Past workshops: April 5th 2016

3D Printing 101

An introduction to 3D printers. A presentation explaining how 3D printers work and what are some of the common 3D printer designs. The workshop should cover basic design for 3D printing as well as slicing. It should also have a hands on component where participants can watch a few 3D printed jobs as well as examining a number of defective and successful prints. We should develop a kit for teaching this workshop. I remember @dhylands has tons of really great prints that were self explanatory.

• Hardware: 3D printer
    • Software: Any CAD
    • Applications: Arts, Rapid Prototyping
    • Recommended # of Participats: 10 per instructor
    • Past Instructors: @dhylands

Laser Cutting 101

• Hardware: laser cutter
    • Software: Any vector drawing application and RD Works
    • Applications: Arts, Rapid Prototyping, Signage and Promotional
    • Recommended # of Participats: 8 per instructor
    • Past Instructors: @arasbm

Laser Cutting 201 - Toast and Pancakes

This will be a fun workshop on how to lasercut food. We might do this one day for breakfast.

Laser Cutting 202 - Building Enclosures

Focused on creating enclosures using acrylic or wood for rapid prototyping project. It is recommended that participants take the laser cutting 101 workshop before taking this. If you can try to run laser 101 and 202 or 203 back to back depending on the level of interest.

Laser Cutting 203 Photorealistic laser engraving

In this two hour workshop we cover how to pre process photos and engrave them on materials such as wood, leather or acrylic. It is recommended that you take laser cutting 101 before taking this workshop.

Woodshop 101 - Safety and Orientation

cc @Bradley-Maker

Woodshop 201, 202, etc.

The 200 serries workshops would be for Specific tools, or projects such as spoon carving, turning pens, etc.

Chainmaille 101 - Introduction to Chainmaille

• Hardware: Links
    • Applications: Arts
    • Past Instructors: @chainmailedave @nicholas

Vacuum Forming 101

TODO

Vinyl cutting 101

• Hardware: Vinyl cutter
    • Software: Corel Draw
    • Applications: Arts, Rapid Prototyping, Signage and Marketing
    • Past Instructors: @vaughn

Logo Design 101

• Hardware: Computer
    • Software: Corel Draw or other vector application
    • Applications: Arts, Rapid Prototyping, Signage and Marketing
    • Past Instructors: @vaughn

3D Modeling 101 - Introduction to Fusion 360

cc @meagan

3D CAM with Fusion 360

cc @meagan

3D Modeling 102 - Introduction to Onshape

cc @dhylands @toxuin

3D Modeling 202 - Onshape Feature Script

cc @dhylands

Blender 101 - 3D Rendering with Blender

Electronics 201 - Schematics creator

Learn making a schematic for some electronics

Electronics 301 - making a PCB

Overview of different ways to make PCB’s, advantages and disadvantages of each method. The workshop should demonstrate at least one technique for making PCBs.

Electronics 101 - Introduction to Electronics

• Hardware: breadboard and some basic electronics components
    • Applications: Electronics, Arts, Rapid Prototyping
    • Past Instructors: @dhylands

Electronics 102 - Learn to Solder

Electronics 202 - Surface mount soldering

Robotics 101 - Introduction to robotics

Programming 101 - Introduction to Python

Microbe Farming 101, 102, etc.

cc @Bradley-Maker how many workshops for Microbe farming? I would think at least one for kraut and one for kombucha

Drawing 101 - Sketching by hand

anyone?

Thanks!

What other workshops can be have? How can we separate and communicate our workshops better? Any ideas and suggestions are welcome. Most of all, let me know if you are willing to design and teach a workshop!

• Some things I can probably teach at some point in the near future.
    Photorealistic laser engraving
    Intro to circuit board etching
    Intro to use of the metal lathe

• @pierre perfect, please choose one topic and a date and I can help you set up the workshop. As a general rule, I recommend announcing workshops at least 3 weeks ahead of time.

Here are the three workshop that I think fit what you posted:

• Laser Cutting 203 - Photorealistic laser engraving
    • Metal Working 201 - Introduction to Metal Lathe
    • Electronics 301 - Making a PCB

Keep the suggestions coming! I will modify the original post as we move forward.

Right now BC is trying to implement a new curriculum built around “project based learning.” The meaning of “project based learning” is still under discussion. This is the time when creative people could impose meaning on it.

This is a pie-in-the-sky idea right now, but it might work.

Makerspace workshops could be pitched to teachers at all levels. it could be a field trip. We could charge them on a per-student basis. To do this we would need to create a list of skills necessary for each workshop, or just create workshops based around the skill sets of different grades. The workshops would also need to be tied into the BC curriculum (https://curriculum.gov.bc.ca/curriculum). This is easier than it sounds. A single laser cutter workshop might actually require half the skill in the grade 6 math curriculum.

The only problem is that the number of people involved in a workshop could be as high as 30, although it would probably more like 22.

Teachers would be interested in this. They would register months in advance, because that is the amount of organizational time that they need (permission slips, buses, fee collection etc.) which would grant lots of time on this end to put something together.

i would be interested in volunteering my time on a project like this. i think it is what i want to do my master’s degree in anyway.

Another option might be to send a team out to elementary schools. Most of them have projectors and smartboards in their classrooms, so you could bring a laptop, design something that they made up, and then they could watch the machines work via videoconference on the smartboard. Then deliver their thing. it would be cool for them, with fewer requirements placed on the actual space of makerspace. Good publicity.

• Linux

I just found this post, great resource.
    For larger groups, having three or more instructors on hand and dividing the group can make that pretty easy. I teach group and private lessons, if anyone wants to teach something and wants resources on how to actually TEACH stuff, please feel free to get in touch.

Learning and working on learning more!