welding ideas

• Linux

I am brand new to this, and looking for some practical ideas to try out my welder. I got it to do some body work on my car, but will likely not be the one actually operating it for that procedure. But I want to play!!

Is there a local source of cheap steel to play with? What do I look for? What should I make? And, how do I figure out how strong any given steel/weld is? Thanks!

Learning and working on learning more!

• @hdsheena i buy steel at the scrap steel yard on Ord Road. They have an area you can pick through and a scale, you pay by the pound. Stainless steel and aluminum should be avoided as they require special equipment and or techniques. Pretty much any hot or cold rolled mild steel scrap will work. Mig welding requires a clean surface free of contaminants for a strong weld. A hand held grinder with a flap disk works well for prepping the surface. One good source of scrap steel I have found is old bed frames, they are a crap shoot with regards to what they are made of but can often be found for free.

• Linux

Any advice for recognising proper steel vs other metals (galv, alum, stainless, other…?) When finding scrap?

• A magnet will definitely weed out aluminium and other non ferrous metals as they are not magnetic. You will defiantly notice galvanized as it has a fairly distinct look, however I would avoid any coated metal so you do not have the headache and danger of grinding paint or other coating off to weld. If you do look up the safe procedures for grinding and heating these materials. If the material is uncoated it is quite easy to tell the difference between stainless and raw steel as raw steel will show some signs of corrosion.

• Linux

Rusty, magnetic, uncoated. Should be easy enough?

• Linux

I now have a hat and some help thanks to @Nicholas , @arasbm and Aaron, whose user name I don’t even know. Now I just need to put in the time :)

• Linux

So I see stuff like this… http://www.kijiji.ca/v-business-industrial/kamloops/steel-pipes/1042915998?enableSearchNavigationFlag=true

And I wonder if it is good for building stuff? Thoughts on application, strength. Etc?

• 2" Schedule 20 pipe has a wall thickness of .109". It would be good for most home projects where high strength isn’t required. It does appear to have some sort of coating on it, might be old galvanized pipe in which case you would need to take some precautions welding it. Galvanized pipe can be welded safely but the added precautions required might not be worth the effort for a beginner. You can grind back the galvanized edge of the pipe but just remember to check that the inside of the pipe may be galvanized as well. I grind down to fresh steel and weld outside with a breeze or a fan and wear a mask. I have never experienced any symptoms of welding fume exposure. Here is a good article on welding galvanized steel.
    http://www.sperkoengineering.com/html/articles/WeldingGalvanized.pdf
    If you decide to check out the steel pipe let me know, it’s a good deal on material and I’d be happy to split a load of pipe with you.

Shawn

• Linux

@Bishop How much strength is “high strength”? Would it be comparable to the posts used in Chain Link Fencing, for strength? Or more comparable to 2" PVC? Or somewhere between? Thanks!!

• It looks exactly like the galvanized posts used in chain link fencing to me, I suspect that’s what it is. By high strength I just meant I wouldn’t build a hydraulic press or trailer frame from it.

• Linux

Thanks! I’ll send the seller a message!

• Linux

Its not galvanized, the seller said. Would you have the tools/knowledge to turn this pipe into a 6’ diameter circle? We suddenly and desperately need a round bale feeder, and that would get the pipe here I think for free if we could turn it into a feeder!

• I don’t have a pipe bender I’m afraid. To bend pipe and not kink it you need special dies (well not all that special, they just have to fit the pipe) someone who buids or works on cars might have access to a pipe bender. I’m not sure if you could bend schedule 20 pipe into a 6’ diameter circle without tearing it?

• With a torch and something with the same diameter it is possible. A neat trick to avoid kinking is capping the pipe and filling it with sand. I would still be a difficult job. Could you use a large hexagon or similar shape instead?

• How bad is it that I forgot I own a cheap tube bender from princess auto? I never have had any luck bending pipe without kinking it but never really tried that hard either. I’d be willing to give it a try if you wanted to. Nicholas is right, filling the tube with sand and welding caps on the end will help a lot. We can grease up the 2" die and hope for the best :open_mouth:

• Linux

I’m still interested in getting some of this pipe and playing with it, if you are! My friend has found a feeder, so unless that falls through, her budget (that I was going to convince her to spend on supplies and a trip to pick up the pipe!) is otherwise assigned, but the idea of being able to make things out of stuff just… tickles me :)

• It would be great material to have on hand for various projects so I would be up for going to get 10 pieces or so? I checked the mill and I won’t have the throat to take those rims, forgot to pm you! Sorry.