MakerSpace Mighty Makers Workshops

• Design Lab

Hi everyone,

I have drafted a programme up that I want to share with you, and hopefully roll-out at the Makerspace in the next weeks. I will explain it more at the Members Meeting on Thursday, but i wanted to get you the details so you could maybe take a look beforehand and generate some feedback, including productive criticism if you see holes in the plan!

0_1473018463310_KMS After School programme pilot.doc

If the upload didnt work, here is the text in the raw:

Makerspace After School programme pilot
    Vaughn Warren

The Concept

A 6 week after school programme in which kids (6-12 years old) with a parent (a Team) come to the Makerspace for 1.5 hours each Tuesday (3:30-5:00pm)
    to make a project facilitated by Vaughn Warren (vaughn@vaughnwarren.com, etc). The project will allow the participants an opportunity to modify the
    pre-made design in the computer and manufacture it using key Makersapce equipment like the laser cutter, vinyl cutter, and 3D printer.
    Teams keep their finished product, of course.

The 1st Project – Personalized Tool Caddy using slot constructed 1/8” plywood (facilitated by Vaughn Warren).

In this first run of this programme, participants will work on their own caddy-style tool box, a 6 week (1.5 hours per week) project that will feature:

-A pre-designed and tested "caddy" tool box design they can modify slightly themselves in the computer; this will give them a taste of the design
        end of making something.

-An opportunity to personalize their own toolbox design with their name or a picture; this will ensure ‘ownership’ of their project and a
        chance to see how the machines interpret their modification.

-The project plan will include the use of the lasercutter (slot construction box and image scanning), the vinyl cutter
        (create a computer cut decal and stick it to the side of the box), the 3D printer (3D print a pre-designed knob
        of some kind that attaches to the box) and a session of woodshop glue-up and finishing.

The Draft Budget

Expenses:

Materials: $100 Wood, vinyl, glue, clearcoat
    Setup and Instruction: $1000 20-25 hours box design, prep, in-class time
    MakerSpace income: $200

$1300     Total estimated cost

Income:

8 Teams @ $25/each/night = $160 each

$1280 total estimated income 

Pre-Flight Checklist for Teams:

Wear appropriate clothing -the makerspace is a studio/shop environment - wear work clothes.
    16gb minimum flashdrive - to save and transfer your own files.
    Water bottle - its a lot of stairs to the kitchen from the Desing Lab
    Have a snack first - we only have 1.5 hours per session, so we want to hit the ground running.
    Camera or cellphone - share your Makerspace build on social media!

Curriculum

Week One:
    Intro’s and Orientation Tour (wayfinding & building safety, etc.) 30 mins
    Look at the project prototype - discuss it and ways it could be modified 30 mins
    Team Worksheet 1: Design purpose statement, Design modifications, scanned image selection, decal-word choice 30 mins

Week Two:
    Teams begin modifying their designs in Design Lab (Teams use CorelDRAW to modify box design, adding their word and image)

Week Three:
    3D Print demo and begin printing pre-designed objects for boxes
    Teams with designs ready cut a 1/6" paper model on the lasercutter and hot glue it together - does it work?
    Teams with designs ready cut their decal on the vinyl cutter
    Teams continue to modify their designs in CorelDRAW

Week Four:
    Teams with proven paper model cut their project on the lasercutter and begin assembly in woodshop
    Teams with designs ready cut a 1/6" paper model of their design on the lasercutter and hotglue it together - does it work?

Week Five:
    Teams with lasercut and assembled boxes add their decal and 3D printed object
    Teams with proven paper model cut their project on the lasercutter and assemble in woodshop
    Teams with designs ready cut a 1/6" paper model of their design on the lasercutter and hot glue it together - does it work?

Week Six:
    Madly rush about finishing!!!
    Group photo, congrats and info about more programming
    Media?

NOTES:
    -setup more than one Corel station! 3 would be great!
    -need idea for what to 3D print - clip-on wheels to hold ends of dowel handle on caddy? A 3D Makerspace logo (with year) that screws to box wall?

• Design Lab

@arasbm Hey, could you please help me finishing this picatic event page? I have most of it done, but need help with the payment end of it and getting it live.

https://www.picatic.com/event14734515661739#/edit

Its ready to go, expect for the payment end of it - I dont know how to do that!

THANK YOU!

• @Vaughn I add 8 tickets for 160 each to the event page and set the sale start date to this Monday. Is that good? Feel free to change things and once you are happy hit the “Live” button.

Just so you know there is a cost associated with picatic and stripe. When you create a ticket and want to get 160$ you would have to set the price higher to account for those costs:

0_1473488127408_Selection_011.png

• What a great looking workshop! I would have only two questions: 1) How did you choose the age range for the workshop. As the parent of a 9 and a 12 years old, I would probably recommend an age range of 9 or 10 to 14 years for that. 6 is definitely young for the average student. Most parents really use the age guidelines and would be concerned about signing their 12 year old up for a program that might have 6 year olds in it. They will assume that it is too childish for them, and this definitely won’t be. I know a few 13 and 14 yr old boys that would love this. 2) As a businessman, I have a point out the obvious - your expenses exceed your revenues.

If you need help promoting this to schools, let me know. My wife is so dialed in that her facebook page alone would book many sessions.

Great job, though. If my daughter’s dance schedule allows it, I definitely want to sign her up.

• Design Lab

@robert Great points - we’ll take a look at how we can dial the ages in better. Maybe seperate classes for 6-10 and 11-15?

Yes, the makerspace post and my artist page post about this class can be shared with your wife to promote it and raise awareness. At this point we have plenty signed up, including wait list, so we can just pilot this and see what will work best in the future.

https://www.facebook.com/VaughnWarrenArtist/photos/a.103097956452893.6059.101078339988188/1044466892315990/?type=3&theater

And yeah, the budget is fluid at this time - Ill do one or two and see how it works out. Trying to make money for the space, get paid for my time and keep a lid on the workshop cost. I would like to somehow subsidize a few young people who cannot afford it, too.

• Design Lab

@arasbm picatic takes $10 per ticket?? Holy cow. Thanks for letting me know.

• Design Lab

Update on this programme:

The basic idea was approved with enthusiasm at the Members Meeting, so I blasted out an ad for it on the KMS Facebook page and my own artist page. The response was excellent - it looks like I will be able to split the workshop into two age groups 6-10 and 11-15 and do at least 2 per week, maybe even 3.

My intention is to include Makerspace shop time cost once we get this running and see the actual costs and income. The rough guide of $100/hour for the space is what I am shooting for, but for the first rounds I have set it at $200 for the 6 week workshop, to ensure this pilot works. This means each 6 week workshop will generate $200 for the space - If I do 2 that is $400/6 weeks, etc. I hope to find a way to get that up to at least $300/workshop to the space.

I revised the budget:

Expenses:

Materials: $100 Wood, vinyl, glue, clearcoat
    Setup and Instruction: $1000 20-25 hours box design, prep, in-class time
    MakerSpace income: $200
    $1300 Total estimated cost

Income:
    8 Teams @ $25/each/night = $160 each
    $1280 total estimated income

Once we have run a few workshops we will have a better idea of what the real costs and income is, and I will revise/update the budget.

Please share the event page to raise interest:
    https://www.facebook.com/kamloopsmakerspace/photos/a.1599517686949726.1073741829.1583639188537576/1829021373999355/?type=3&theater

• Vaughn, if I wanted to sign three kids up for the Monday class, how could I go about doing that? Do you still have any space? It’s for my daughter (12), my nephew (15), and his brother (13). Let me know what’s possible. Thanks.

• Design Lab

@robert Hi Robert! Yes, love to have you.

That class is Monday 3:30 - 5 pm (10 - 15 yrs)

Please email me vaughn@vaughnwarren.com the following information:
    Their names and ages
    Your full name, (and the name of the minder if it is other than you)

Send me that email and I will send you back the full details and sign up procedure - consider yourself booked if we get that done.

Thank you - its going to be great!
    Vaughn

• Design Lab

Help, please? I need to get a 2nd computer station going in the Design lab with CorelDraw in it, so Mighty Makers can do the design work faster. I have tried a few of the boxes under the Hack Table and I can’t seem to get one that is working for this (the one I am trying now that is in the Lab does not have a functional CD drive to install the software).

I need it for Monday - could one of you wunder peeps please help me get it running? It does not need to be networked - it just needs to have CorelDRAW running smoothly and relatively quickly and a USB port for the student(s) to save their file!

Help us, Makerspace Kenobi’s…you’re our only hope!

@arasbm @pierre @MIPS @fullmetalmaker

• Design Lab

Thanks, @n0pe for doing that - mission accomplished!

We’re good to go :)

• Design Lab

Here’s the worksheet for the workshop:
    0_1474084041227_MM Tool Caddy Worksheet sample.jpg

A work in progress…

• Design Lab

MightyMakers classes start tomorrow (Monday Sept. 19) at 3:30 til 5pm and also run Weds 3:30-5pm. They will run for 6 weeks.

We will be using mostly the Lounge and the Design Lab, but will make excursions to the laser cutter and 3D printer.

I added it to the calendar:
    https://calendar.google.com/calendar/render?cid=cWk0ZG5ydDgwbGNqNHFscTQ0cGlvMzRkdjRAZ3JvdXAuY2FsZW5kYXIuZ29vZ2xlLmNvbQ&invEmailKey=vaughn@vaughnwarren.com:9e463b0c3f7e5e7cdb3bdb150c51dabd18a69392&pli=1#main_7|month

• Design Lab

Today @ 3:30-5pm and Weds 3:30-5pm. Need to clean the Lounge up for 3pm!

This weeks feature is vinyl cutter demo - next week is 3D printing! @fullmetalmaker

• Design Lab

0_1475459006483_3D printing promo.jpg

• Vaughn, seeing as the laser cutter and CNC router are both out of commission, and it’s Halloween today, Isobel and I won’t be coming in today, and we should probably send a message to all participants that there really isn’t any reason to come in. I had a demo planned for the kids on the CNC with foam that I brought in, but I can’t run it without the speed controller connected, and I haven’t been able to test it yet, so I couldn’t run today even if it was fixed in time. Maybe do one more session next week, just to get all of the sessions in? I can bring my daughter anytime, but giving everyone else a chance to use all the sessions would be nice.

@Vaughn - let me know if you need anymore of those KM badges, I believe the 3D printer is scheduled to be fix sometime this upcoming week.

• Design Lab

@robert Yes, good call Robert! I will let everyone know when the laser is back up and we can have a cameo gathering then. Thanks - I sent an email to everyone.

• Design Lab

@derpko I believe we were 3 short, but it was Mateo’s 3D object that we are hoping to follow up on - stay tuned and thanks for chimin in!.