Chain maille workshop -- January 21st

• We are now ready for our first workshop of the year. @Nicholas has organized a chain maille workshop for us, that I am really excited about.

In this workshop we will work with rings to create jewellry and discuss various techniques and materials, as well as other applications of chain mail. This is a good opportunity to work with metal and get a feel for different materials. If like me you are very new to working with metal, and you are thinking about taking our future welding or plasma cutting workshops, I would highly recommend you come to this event.

chainmaille1_small.jpg

Each participant will receive materials to create a bracelet to take home! There will be some tools provided but if you have some of your own, for example a pair of small needle nose pliers, feel free to bring them!

• Cost: $10 (includes instruction and materials)
    • When: Wednesday, January 21st, 2015 from 6-8PM
    • Where: The Generator, located in the lower level of the House of Learning Building @ Thomspon Rivers University – 900 McGill Road, Kamloops BC.

You can buy your tickets online. There are only 20 tickets available. We were sold out last workshop, and will likely be sold out again.

chainmaille2_small.jpg
    If you have a pair of pliers like above, feel free to bring them with you. If you don’t have them, dont worry, we will bring a bunch.

Thank you @amanda for great feedback and setting up the ticket sales!

Any comments or suggestions, please let us know here.

• @arasbm no problem!
    I have also sent this in to Kamloops this Week to be listed in the events and possibly in their community brief.

• Linux

Is there a poster for this event? My friend does promo posters for our dog events and could do one up if its helpful?
    …the image is very big. Can I make it smaller?
    reactivedogsjan15.jpg

Learning and working on learning more!

• @hdsheena posters would be awesome. The pictures I took were not the best, we would have to ask @Nicholas to find some nice pictures that would be representing more the kind of stuff we can build at the workshop. But if you or your friends want to make some posters for this event, please go for it! :smile:

• Linux

Chainmaille.pdf
    Thoughts? Just pulled a pic off RingLord, this is draft 1.

• @hdsheena Looks great! my only suggestion would be to make it easier to access the ticket page. I created a short version of the ticket url that you can use instead: bit.ly/chain15

You can also include the qr code for it:
    qrcode.26928289.png

And at the bottom it would be great to have something like:

For more information please visit kamloopsmakerspace.com or email info@kamloopsmakerspace.com

Thanks again for doing this, your help is much appreciated :smile:

• Linux

ChainPosterFinal.pdf

Allison appreciated the feedback and got to put her first QR code on a poster! :)

• Awesome! I will print a bunch to have with me during next week to spread around town. Please feel free to do the same.

• Founder

I have a bunch of friends I’d like to share this with, and I know at least a couple of them that should be very interested. However, I’d like to bulk send that. Do we have a facebook post, or an email poster that can be sent around? Those are the 2 ways that are easy for me.

And I would make one, but graphic design is not my forte, but I could make a simple facebook post, maybe just using the poster, @hdsheena, although I don’t have access to the page.

• We have shared the link on our facebook page as well. You can also email the pdf @hdsheena posted above, or an image of it. Here is a png version of it:
    chainmaille_workshop.png

@Bradley-Maker you have to like our facebook page before we can add you as an admin ;)

• Linux

@Bradley-Maker Glad arasbm got you the file. I did post it on the facebook makerspace page, but just as a comment I think. If you’d like it in another format or posted elsewhere, let me know. I wondered about posting it on the EventBrite page, but I don’t know the details of that?

• Linux

@arasbm How is registration looking?

• @hdsheena right now 16 tickets are still left. If it goes like previous workshops we will be sold out a few days before the event.

• Still some tickets left for the chain maille workshop this week!

https://www.eventbrite.ca/e/introduction-to-chain-maille-tickets-15162098244

• For those who do not want to pay online I will take cash at the door. Please rsvp here

• I’ll be coming and pay cash

• If you missed it Samantha Garvey from CBC Kamloops was at the workshop and they have put a story together that will air tomorrow morning on daybreak. I think it will be sometime between 7am and 8am, I could not find a exact time. Make sure to tune into CBC tomorrow morning on your way to work or at home :)

I will post the link to the podcast here when it becomes available as well.

• @Nicholas @arasbm It looked like a great turnout at the chain maille workshop! If you would like to have a monthly (or more often) meetup for anyone interested in just getting together, talking about different techniques/styles and applications of chain maille, etc - you’re welcome to use the coworking space at Kamloops Innovation until the makerspace is ready. For example, the last Monday of each month 4pm, or something like that. Doesn’t have to be a formal workshop, it could just be a casual meetup. If anyone is interested in that just let me know!

If anyone is intetested in making this into a regular thing I am willing to volunteer my time to share the (little) knowledge I have.