Screen printer

• I have a screen printer I’m willing to donate to the space. It comes with emulsion and printing inks. I’ll bring in the instructional video on DVD. There is a file I could upload if there was a place to store a 2.5GB file for free. I’m looking for someone else to take responsibility for it.

• This post is deleted!

• Here are some pictures of the machine and the supplies:
    https://app.box.com/s/x2jorezzqazgk5i6rn1ny5n90jd5t9qr

• Design Lab

@tinfoilknight I would love to get this going - arg, so much fun stuff to do, so little time.

ok:
    -Where would we set this up? How much room does it take up?
    -Lets watch the DVD (maybe leave it in the Design lab?)
    -Even just getting a screen happening with 2 or 3 makerspace logos of various sizes would be a good starter project?

good stuff Grant!

• I’ve suggested using the shower downstairs but that gets nowhere because it’s also the women’s washroom.
    We would need a dark room for developing the emulsion and somewhere we can wash the screens. I think we also need a clothesline.
    The machine doesn’t take up much room when not in use. I think it’s about 3 feet square.

• Metal

Cleaning screens is much easier with a pressure washer, fwiw.
    I also have some water based inks I am willing to donate. I think I also have a couple emulsion safe light bulbs somewhere, and probable a squeegee.

I am far from a pro, but do have some experience with silk-screening if I can help out with any questions.

• @dk these screens will need a pressure wash because of how long the emulsion has been on. I’ve been told that they clean easier when the emulsion is still fresh. The inks in the picture are water based too

• Metal

@tinfoilknight said:

h because of how long the emulsion has been on. I’ve been told that they clean easier when the emulsion is still fresh. The inks in the picture are water based too

Screens are definitely much easier to clean when the emulsion is fresh. I tried cleaning a screen that had been left for probably about a year, and it was an effort in futility, even with the pressure washer.
    Right now i have a bunch of screens that have been sitting for years with emulsion on them. I was told by a guy that has a silk screening business that they are probably only good for wall decorations now (which isn’t a bad idea really)