3D Relief cutting with 3020 using a greyscale depth image

• I was talking to @robert today about cutting 3D shapes on the 3020. A while ago I did an extensive search for a free and open source 3D cam software, but I could not find anything that I could recommend. However, I did not realize that LinuxCNC has a really nifty and nice feature built-in for generating G-Code based on a grayscale raster image:

0_1475560292031_Selection_004.png

For this test, I am using an image I found online while searching for “greyscale depth”:

0_1475560527398_one.jpg

@pierre has been taking some pictures along the way, I hope he can post them here.

So far it looks pretty promising, but this is a slow and long job. I am very curious to see how much of the details will show. Stay tuned for more update!

• 0_1475643732710_P_20161004_180840_1.jpg
    Not terrible for the very first attempt. There is a lot of room for improvement, but I call this a success.

• @arasbm As I recall the part was about 4" square, maybe 3/4" deep… How long did it take to cut, using that wee 1/8" upcut router bit?

• @arasbm said:

I was talking to @robert today about cutting 3D shapes on the 3020. A while ago I did an extensive search for a free and open source 3D cam software, but I could not find anything that I could recommend. However, I did not realize that LinuxCNC has a really nifty and nice feature built-in for generating G-Code based on a grayscale raster image:

That looks great for a first run, and the youtube tutorial was very interesting. The detail issues look to me like a bit issue. A ball-end bit would be great to get for this. Thanks for doing this, I think it will be useful for a lot of projects.

• I was in yesterday to do some projects on the CNC and after a couple hours or frustration, finally figured out that the speed controller has come loose from the control box, and I don’t know what pin configuration was used to connect it originally. If someone who does know (Aras or Pierre, I think you both were in on that) could re-connect it, I would really appreciate it. I am trying to get more proficient and do a demo on in for the kids next Monday.

BTW, I orders a couple of dozen new bits for it a week or so ago, so we will have some more options for projects, like some Ball-End bits, more engraving bits and a set of sized bits for a bit more precision. I’ll bring them in as soon as they arrive - can’t wait to try some of the greyscale 3D relief projects with a ball-end bit, which should allow for much greater detail.

• I probably won’t have much chance to work on it until after the haunted house. I think @Chris documented the correct wiring in this thread:

https://community.kamloopsmakerspace.com/topic/311/setting-up-the-3020-milling-machine/6

When we re-wire it, we should take some pictures too.

• Linux

@pierre is correct … at least it is correct as far as we got. Never played with various router speeds or basic router control from the cnc software.

• @arasbm and I found 5 extra minutes to look at it today. I’m pretty sure it is up and running again. Sorry to have taken so long to fix it.

• Pierre, that is great. You shouldn’t apologize, I appreciate you taking care of it.