Social Planning Grant

• When I was originally looking into my first printer I looked at Gearbest. They were pretty deceiving saying certain printers were only ~$200, but the shipping cost another 100-200 bucks more making it cost the same as one I’d buy from a dealer in Canada. In the end the sketchy shipping prices deterred me from buying from them and bought the i3 acrylic clone I have now from a place called digitmakers.ca out of Ontario I believe.

Personally I think the MK2 is a great choice. Had I known I’d be in THIS deep into printing I probably would have bought that one first.

• It was 280$, included two spools of filament and free shipping from amazon, so we went with them. I’ll bring it by the space when it arrives, reviews seem to indicate that the quality varies quite a bit, so there’s some luck involved.
    https://www.amazon.com/Anet-A8-Included-Filament-Printer/dp/B01N5D2ZIB/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1489036432&sr=8-2&keywords=anet+a8

• @HeatherRose Looks like it comes with a part cooling fan/duct which is nice, mine didn’t have that. Had to add it myself after. It looks like it’s direct drive too so you won’t have to bother with any bowden tube setup.

Almost wish I had tried this one as my first instead.

• 3D

@HeatherRose said:

It was 280$, included two spools of filament and free shipping from amazon, so we went with them. I’ll bring it by the space when it arrives, reviews seem to indicate that the quality varies quite a bit, so there’s some luck involved.
    https://www.amazon.com/Anet-A8-Included-Filament-Printer/dp/B01N5D2ZIB/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1489036432&sr=8-2&keywords=anet+a8

*USD

• 3D

@HeatherRose If we look at the build of both is there much difference *I havent looked at both side by side.

• we should make a new thread for Anet A8s

• @ColeVanD it is a clone of the Prusa so the build is pretty similar, the main difference is in the quality of the parts and manufacturing, quite a few components of the Anet will probably need to be replaced or modified to compensate for the lesser quality, where the brand-name Prusa should be able to print out of the box.
    I’ll start a thread for this printer when it arrives for anyone interested in the build process and performance.

• Design Lab

The requirements contract with Social Planning was submitted this week and as far as I know, we are good to go on the purchase of the 3D printer. This is the first time I have been personally involved in the Social Planning grant before, so I am not sure of the timelines.

I do not know when the actual cheque will come - it may be some time.

I would like to remind and refresh everyone as to the grant requirements:

1. The grant was obtained with the understanding that it will be the center piece of our new Classroom on the 3rd Floor.

2. We must report back in June about our progress - if it isn’t congruent with the grant requirements and timelines we have promised, we are out of order.

3. Any media or announcements that relate to the 3D printer MUST include the City of Kamloops logo as a sponsor. Additionally, the City of Kamloops logo should be included in our list of sponsors on website, etc. Tag the City of Kamloops on relevant social media posts.

4. We must maintain financial records of the purchase and be able to show what was purchased, when, how much, etc.

Thank you to everyone who has worked on this!

• Design Lab

@derpko @Chainmaildave let us know about the status of the 3D printer purchase!

Excited…

• 0_1490148486105_IMG_3622-edited.jpg

THE PRINTER IS ON ITS WAY (IN 72 HOURS) - 3 days to reach US customs and X amount of days stuck in customs circle jerk.
    So about 10~ days is my guess for the shipping.

receipt dispatched to info@ email and @Vaughn has a copy as well.

• Design Lab

@Lounge-Lizard, please tell me that you ordered a metric ton of that orange filament with it.

• Awesome! :smile:

• @kile said:

@Lounge-Lizard, please tell me that you ordered a metric ton of that orange filament with it.

If that is the case… Please also tell us that you lined up another grant for the shipping cost

I’m not aware if any filament shipped out with it, I assume it comes with one roll but I could be wrong. I think the minimum was 29$ USD for regular filament so I didn’t want to waste our budget since we can order some elsewhere for cheaper. The order slip doesn’t specify it, but you can double check @kile as I sent a copy of the bill to the info@kamloopsmakerspace.com.

edit: Yeah @pierre is right on that, especially since it’s shipping out of Czech Republic.

• Design Lab

@derpko what else do we need to order now to hit the ground running when this machine arrives? I think we really need bright oronge filament!! Do we have Black? Get some of that, too, right?

I signed and paid for the package today!

• so when can I start building it? :) !

• So now we need some clear space to work. @HeatherRose has the Anet A8. We should do a side by side build. I haven’t seen a direct comparison between a Prussa and a clone so we could post the video on YouTube. I’m hoping for two teams of two people. Build time should take 5 hours but it doesn’t have to be all at once.
    @HeatherRose have you opened the kit and made sure all the parts are there? @Chainmaildave have you done the same for the Prussa? If we check the parts list and carefully repack the units we can reenact opening them for the first time. I’ll go put my camera on the charger.

@Vaughn and I were talking yesterday and the idea of filming an “box opening” came up which should probably happen

• 3D

@Chainmaildave Would love to make a video with you guys, Not sure when the box comes.