Makerspace Members Potluck + Focus Discussion Sunday Dec 11- 4 to 8pm

• We are doing amazing! We have a lot of momentum right now. Several new members are signing up every month and many of them are integrating very well into our community. But how do we decide what is next for us?

I would like to host a potluck and a focus discussion for makerspace around middle of December. I’d like to get a many members in as possible. We need to talk about the current and future of makerspace and set some goals for ourselves for the year 2017.

I would love to have a few people giving a short presentation about where they think we should take our makerspace from here. If you have ideas for a talk or want to help with facilitating the discussion, let me know!

I am thinking either Saturday December 17 or Sunday December 18. Would you be interested? Is that a good date? Would it be better to have lunch or supper?

please let me know as soon as possible which times would work for you by completing this doodle poll

Edit: here is the plan:

Sunday December 11th from 4pm to 8pm

If you can bring some food to share. Let us know here what you will be bringing. But more importantly, bring your inspiring ideas and a positive attitude :smile:

Here is a rough agenda:

• 4pm: set up the food
    • 4:20: take some group photos!!!
    • 4:30: start eating the food
    • 5:30: 3 x ~10min presentations
    • 6:15: up to 10 lightning talks
    • 6:45 to 8:00pm: facilitated discussion on the future of our makerspace

Hope to see everyone there! If you have suggestions or want to help me with organizing or running the facilitated discussion, let me know.

I need at least two volunteers for the 10 min talk. Any takers?

• Could you set up a doodle poll?

• @tinfoilknight good idea. I made a poll, but we need to choose a date soon, so please everyone check your available times as soon as possible: http://doodle.com/poll/et3icbnz79y26cws

• Design Lab

MEMBERS: please do this poll asap to choose a day for our December potluck and brainstorm!

• Sunday December 11th from 4pm to 8pm

If you can bring some food to share. Let us know here what you will be bringing. But more importantly, bring your inspiring ideas and a positive attitude :smile:

Here is a rough agenda:

• 4pm: set up the food
    • 4:20: take some group photos!!!
    • 4:30: start eating the food
    • 5:30: 3 x ~10min presentations
    • 6:15: up to 10 lightning talks
    • 6:45 to 8:00pm: facilitated discussion on the future of our makerspace

Hope to see everyone there! If you have suggestions or want to help me with organizing or running the facilitated discussion, let me know.

I need at least two volunteers for the 10 min talk. Any takers?

• Design Lab

Looking forward to good discussion about the Makerspace and its future direction this Sunday.

Ill bring Sushi - hope to see as many makers and their input as possible!

• Design Lab

Should we make an agenda of things to discuss?

Here are some suggestions (click EDIT to add YOUR suggestions) :

-Wish list of tools or capabilities?
    -Where do we want to see the Makerspace in 1 year? 3 years? 10 years?
    -What is our core function?
    -What do Members want?
    -What do members NOT want?
    -AGM planning?

• Thank so much @Vaughn for picking up the ball to organize this meeting. I wish I could be there. Here are some quick notes about things I was planning to talk about. Some of these you already mentioned. Hopefully this can help promote some discussion.

How big do we want to grow and how fast?

Lets think about the next 5 years. How big do you want our community to be in 1, 3 and 5 years from now?

what do we want to focus on over the next 5 years?

What services do you care about most, and would like to see more growth in:

• tools: grow shop space and provide more and better tools
    • incubator: hardware business incubator
    • education: learning new skills together and sharing knowledge
    • community: more fun events and activities
    • career support: working with local businesses to connect talented people to companies
    • other: write down what is important to you

I was planning to put some big papers on the wall and ask people to put a mark under each item they care about (allowing multiple choices). I am sure @Vaughn will come up with a great way to collect this feedback

When should we move to a new building?

We are constantly growing and we already have had to say no to a few different new areas of development because our current building does not accommodate for it. These include, welding and forge area, pottery, glass work, proper spray booth. Some of the other inconveniences that we have to deal with include:

• lack of parking
    • problematic neighbourhood which makes it difficult to run workshops for kids and limits our ability to attract families
    • its very difficult to flow materials in the building
    • lack of large doors makes it is very difficult and in some cases prohibitive to work on large projects
    • building is really old and requires constant attention and repairs and we are taking the risk that it may become unusable at any moment.
    • Building owners expect us to repair and maintain the building
    • there is no three phase power
    • very poor insulation makes it very costly to heat the building
    • there is no proper cooling system available during summer
    • rent is expensive: currently makerspace is paying between 2000$ and 3000$ per month excluding the penthouse and the building owners are wanting to make 4000$ per month from the whole building (including the penthouse)

There are some advantages to this building, but I will leave those for you to discuss. Based on our lease agreement, we can move out of the current building without any penalty if we give a minimum 1 year notice. What I was hoping would happen at the meeting was to set a date, perhaps a year or 16 months from now as the day we need to move out. That way we have time to find a more suitable space and plan our move.

How do we want to govern ourselves?

I personally do not believe in systems that rely on power and authority. I would never want makerspace to operate as a pyramid where few people make the decisions and everyone else has to follow along. I believe each and every member has the right to know absolutely everything about how we operate our makerspace and they should be allowed to contribute in any areas they like as long as they are respectful of the effort other members are putting in. We can solve our problems by creative design as opposed to politics. I want everyone to feel safe and rewarded when they attempt to contribute something to our makerspace.
    What are your ideas about how we should govern ourselves?

• Design Lab

Thanks, @arasbm . I will do my best to record information the meeting generates.

Draft Agenda:

4pm People and food arrive - eating and visiting

5:00 Members Round Table Comments + Presentations (if any)
    (any member can speak for 3 mins max)

• record comments

5:30 PM Topics to discuss:

• What are/should be the Makerspaces CORE functions?

• What core functions do we want to grow into?

• What are we not doing that we should be?

• What are we doing that we shouldn’t be?

• Tools/Capabilities we want to acquire?

6:30 PM The Space:

• An open discussion about the building and lease we are in and the overall outlook on our physical plant.

7PM The future:

• Where do we see the Makerspace in 5 years?

(Please feel free to add anything, anyone?)

all this sounds good. I’ll be bringing some spaghetti squash.

• Design Lab

MakerSpace Members Meeting is going live…
    Use Shoutbox to chime in!

• Design Lab

MakerSpace Members Meeting - Sunday 4-8pm

Present: Jason B., Kile, Nicholas, Bradley, Michelle, Meagan, Ashley, Pierre, Kyle, Jason Lp, Grant Matt G., Darren, Dave H., Vaughn

A greeeeeat potluck diner was assembled by the Makers and much was discussed. Wall notes were made on many subjects, and all were heard. The notes, opinions and directions will be added to this thread, once @vaughn has a chance to copy them off the wall!

Please feel free to add your thoughts to the thread.

• Holder

Thanks for the dinner everyone! I enjoyed taking part in the discussions last night, it’s nice to see how this organisation evolves.

I had piped in regarding another building for lease in Valley view, and I just wanted to post the link here for others to see.

http://www.kijiji.ca/v-commercial-office-space/kamloops/c4-warehouse-space-for-lease/1222843437?enableSearchNavigationFlag=true

More than 2500sqft, for less than $2000/month
    The location is far better than we are now! The buildings neighbour is a bicycle shop, and its right on valleyview drive, near homes and schools.

Anyone here know the owners of that building?

• Sorry I couldn’t make it but very interested in being a part of the discussion. Any decisions that get made that make MS more accessible to students/teachers will be exciting news to me! All the best, Jeremy

• @jsonb that building is also triple net which means we would be responsible for the taxes building insurance and all maintenance

• Metal

@Will well we already carry our own insurance, and I just checked, property taxes are about $28k for the whole building (split between the 6 tenants I’m assuming, leaving us about $5k a year in taxes) is still substantially cheaper than our current lease. and the building is about 100 years newer so I imagine maintenance would be lower as well!!
    We are basically in a Triple Net lease anyways (minus the property tax) as far as the insurance and maintenance goes.
    I haven’t found any info on who actually owns it, but I didn’t look that hard.