Carriage stop

• I have been working on this when I have time for the past week. I built a soft stop previously that used a dial indicator but it wasn’t as useful as I thought it would be. The hard stop will make boring and turning to a specific depth simple. I can also use it to prevent a crash (saddle hitting the spinning chuck) when teaching someone to use the lathe.

I made the retaining bolt to match the standard south bend bolt so I can use the same wrench I lock the carriage with to set the stop.

image.jpg

• Just a few more pictures that might better show how the stop is used. The last pic shows both the hard and soft stops.

image.jpg

• Sorry for the multiple posts, I’m still not able to upload more than one photo to a post? image.jpg

• image.jpg

• Nice (Bah - won’t let me enter less than 8 characters so I have to make my “Nice” to longer.

• @Bishop thanks for sharing these picture, really cool!

@dhylands sorry about that annoying feature. I just removed it so you (and everyone else) should now be able to express yourself in as little as one character per post :smile:

• I didn’t like the idea if having two seperate stops on the lathe and I had the room to modify and improve the hard stop so I did. The soft stop is now on a movable bar so with gauge blocks and the 1" throw of the dial indicator I can accurately measure almost anything I put in the lathe.

image.jpg

• that’s a really nice set up .well planned. I have the same lathe and love it. the hinge on my end gear cover is toast tho . pops open all the time then drops and rides on the gears . how is yours?

• Thanks BCT, it turned out but that was mostly luck. I’ve had no issue with the gear cover on my lathe. If I remember correctly it was hinged on a heavy pin and casting. I can take a photo for you if you want?

Shawn

• thanks bishop but not necessary. it will be an easy fix one day.

• This might be done now😁

image.jpg