The Clay Space

• Design Lab

Ill get the rolling pin and start generating a repeating pattern for your feedback. Im pretty stoked about this, too! Thank you!

• Design Lab

Kiln Room install: Monday June 12 - Thursday June 22

Hi everyone,

I am coordinating the Kiln Room and Classroom renos at Makerspace and wanted to fill you in on the basic plan:

Install window: Monday, June 12 to Friday June 22

Mission preview: THIS Monday, June 12th, 5:30 - 7:00pm (purpose being for everyone to get the details and funding they need to do their parts, like tear-out, electrical, plumbing, drywalling, cabinet making, etc)

Demo and Preliminary work: Tuesday, June 13 and Weds June 14 - 4 volunteers needed each day (although I hope to ‘save’ the qualified help like carps and electrical for skilled jobs and utilize basic volunteers for this grunt work).

Thursday June 15 and Friday June 16 - plumbing and electrical back-work and drywall, Classroom drywall cleanup and ceiling painting.

Saturday and Sunday - work list to be determined based on Monday Preview planning.

Monday and Tuesday - work list to be determined based on Monday Preview planning. Install and wire Kiln?

Wednesday June 21 - Fire kiln?

Thursday June 22 - touch ups and details, as required.

The finishing and details will be done as time allows - the goal is to get the place wired, plumbed, cabinetted and fire the kiln on Weds June 21 Hack Night!

I have the following people lined up, each with different skill sets and availability:

@vaughn - I have 30 hours over the 10 days to contribute
    @Grant-Fraser - electrical lead, with help from volunteers
    Cory Doyle and his wingmen - cabinets and various capabilities
    @Nicholas - plumbing support
    Nathan Leduc - carpentry
    @Bradley-Maker - carp and cranial support
    Cole - stoked person
    Amanda Eccleston - a bit of everything
    Cheetie Malouin - same
    Greg Stanley - drywall lead

More help is soooo welcome - please let us know if you can do a shift or two?

I am hoping each person on this list can find one other volunteer to bring along when they ‘do their shift’ - there will be plenty of labour to go around and I would like to employ the ‘many hands making light work’ method and tap into our networks.

Hope to see you all Monday 5:30 to 7:00pm to preview the job, plan your purchasing and schedules.

Thank you! I look forward to making deadly clay sculpture and firing in at Kamloops Makerspace Clay Space!

vaughn

• Design Lab

Kiln Room and Classroom install update:

The pony wall and framing, wall board, floor boards, separation walls are all removed (thank you Grant, Amanda, Ronron, Kyle, Cole).

Ready for plumbing and electrical rough in today.

I have drywaller coming now for supplies list and will do a run to home depot at about 1pm - let me know any substantial pickups needed and Ill try to get them.

Drywaller will also be finishing classroom drywall.

Drywall should be installed by friday night - I will prime it.

Nicholas is doing the plumbing right now

Bradley is doing trim in Classroom

AWESOME WORK PEOPLE. Amazing.

I am picking up the OSB for the floor, as well.

• @Krankin I’ve got a follow up question. At what CFM for an exhust fan do we need make-up air? We don’t need it for a bathroom fan or for an ordinary kitchen range hood.

@Grant-Fraser i’d need to look through my HVAC design notes, but i’m pretty sure i can figure it out for you tonight after I get home.

• Design Lab

@Grant-Fraser hey there is an existing hole in the exterior wall for the old bathroom fan! :)

• @Vaughn Which wall is it on? If it isn’t too far from the kiln we can make it work. I’ll have a look later

• Design Lab

@Grant-Fraser it is on the exterior wall - should work with a long snozzle

@Grant-Fraser Just to be clear about the make up air, are you wondering if you need a intake fan to resupply the air taken from the room via the exhaust, You do not a intake fan, however you need a intake source or else risk a pressure differential making it hard to open/ close the door, the easiest way provide an air intake path would be to have a air gap under the door, 1-1/2" -2"should work.

• Design Lab

This coming weekend September 2 and 3 there will be a work party to complete the last of the Clay Space install.

@kile - did you intend to engage as classroom coordinator and lead the charge on finishing that space.off and.planning the tables etc? Let us know.

I’m am.contacting key people like Cory, @Bradley-Maker, @amanda @Janet @Cheetie etc but I am.also hoping that other makers who have an hour or two will help with the last of the trim painting etc. I’ve put a lot of time.into other shops and studios and ask at this time.for help to finish this project!

Thanks to everyone who has taken this from an idea to a reality.

• Let me know how I can help! I’m away this weekend, but can help spread the word in the office. :)

• I can come in and do some trim painting. If the supplies are already around the Space I could even paint it before the weekend so it is ready before the room gets to busy.

@KillwithKindness that would be awesome! I think the brown paint in in the new class room upstairs.

I’ll be in this Saturday. so i can help

• @amanda_e Awesome. I will get on that tomorrow after work. Just want to confirm before I start that it is the pre existing trim in the room that is being painted? I just want to make sure I don’t miss any in case there is some that isn’t installed yet. And we are painting it brown if I remember what Vaughn had said a little while ago. Want to find the correct paint in there in more then one in that room.

Hi yes it is the brown paint and it’s the trim around the windows and doors upstairs. The trim that needs it the most is the kiln room and class room. 0_1504115396555_IMG_0597.JPG All the paint and supplies are in the class room. Please use the painters tape to mask off the walls as they have all been freshly painted. 0_1504115490137_IMG_0594.JPG 0_1504115465763_IMG_0598.JPG

• @amanda_e Thank you. I will start on the Kiln room tomorrow.

If anyone is there after 5pm that can help me with taping off the trim so I can get to painting more quickly that would be great.

• Design Lab

Thanks all - super appreciate the responses.

I’ll be starting Friday at around 6pm and going all weekend in the kiln and classroom’s; I’ll start by cleaning up the Freemont sign stuff in the classroom and moving it to the design lab.

Perhaps start the trim painting in the kiln room first? We can get the last of the cabinets done, the plumbing, tweak the tIle flooring and vent fan. Cory Doyle is on the door re-hanging. That’s the worst of it.

The classroom needs the trim woodwork finished by @Bradley-Maker
    and I have lined up Trevor Dick to help lay the tile floor. We have 12 chairs for the class but need a few medium size tables until something better comes along. @kile had some fresh ideas about furniture in there but it will be bear bones at first.

@KillwithKindness there are a few of here now if you want to come and paint :)

Getting a head start with Ashley tonight. Some of the painting and taping off has been done! 0_1504239681278_IMG_0635.JPG